Vera respects 'Mr.' Couture but doesn't want his face punched in

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-12-2009 10:11 AM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-890274007-1258034799.jpg
For Brandon Vera, it's been a weird lead up to his fight against the legendary Randy Couture at UFC 105. He's referred to his opponent as "Mr." on several occasions. Approaching a fight, that may be a first for the 46-year-old Couture. It's geniune respect on the part of Vera.

"If you hesitate, decide you want to hold back, especially against Mr. Couture, you're going to catch a bad ***-whooping," Vera told the media at this morning's UFC 105 press conference in Manchester, England. "He has handed some of the worst ***-whoopings I've ever seen in the history of the UFC. Pounding people's face in and I don't want to be on the receiving end of that."

Once he enters the Octagon on Saturday night, that's where respect turns to rage for Vera:

"Come fight night, you're going to see potentially the best Brandon Vera you've ever seen and I won't be hesitating at all, I promise. That's for me and for Randy, so he knows that I'm coming along in this sport and I've set goals, and I'm moving forward for those goals so he'll understand I'm not playing around anymore."

Vera and Couture go back a long way to the days of working with each at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. Vera, not as accomplished as Couture, a two-time Olympic alternate in Greco-Olympic wrestling, was quite the grappler himself after leaving Old Dominion.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions