Ventura County,Ca

Calhoun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here.
Thought I'd post in Hapkido forum as well.
Would like to keep in touch with all, with special interest with anyone in my area, in Ca. (805 area code)
I'm 46 yr, just started, not in great shape, but getting there, I realy LOVE my Hapkido classes.
Gary Calhoun

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hapkido is a great art. Which style? Kuk Sool, Sin Moo? I study Moo Sul Kwan hapkido.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Gary! Nice to have you here.

Glad to hear you have the "Hapkido Bug".. and I also think it's awesome that you've found Hapkido at 46. Oddly enough, I'm starting to find that more and more,the percentages of the beginning student's age are shifting towards the more mature individual. So don't sweat it..you're not alone!:) :asian:

OP
C

Calhoun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ya know what? I really don't know the name of style.
I will find out tomorrow.
We have #1-4 same hand and #1-4 cross-hands moves that teacher has taught. We do circle movement, different kicks, as yellow belt.
The school I go to is PantherTaeKwonDo.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you guys taught the connection that Hapkido has to Aikido and Daito-Ryu?

An old thread.

But a somewhat interesting question to me. I was never taught that. When I asked my GM, about anything for that matter, he would tell me. But there was no formal instruction on the history or lineage of Hapkido, nor of our association or his kwan. That was never taught to me when I briefly studied TKD years ago either.

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
An old thread.

But a somewhat interesting question to me. I was never taught that. When I asked my GM, about anything for that matter, he would tell me. But there was no formal instruction on the history or lineage of Hapkido, nor of our association or his kwan. That was never taught to me when I briefly studied TKD years ago either.

I don't think that is all that unusual. However, I do think it is important to a student to find out the root of their art so they can better understand and appreciate the history and lineage of it from a historical perspective.

Latest Discussions