Variant speed form training

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey... throwing arts can do slow and fast too.... (forwards and backwards as well ;) )

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah, I’d rather not. Apologies to anyone it upset.
To be clear, your comment did not upset me. I don’t know if others feel differently.

You are right, fighting and forms often take on an element of showmanship. Sometimes these things are deliberately used for the entertainment of others. Whether or not that rises to the level of performance art might be open for further debate.

In my opinion, when this is done it cheapens the art. Combat is serious business and I personally don’t care for it when it is reduced to entertainment. This does not mean that training should not be fun. In fact, it should be. But turning it into performance art or simply a vehicle for the entertainment of others feels like a betrayal of what it is at its foundation. Yet at the same time I can enjoy a Jackie Chan movie too.

But people will do as they will.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think all forms are a mix of performance art and performance science.
Oh no, many of our instructors would disagree strongly. They exlaim at times when they feel that we lack power or dedication in kihon or kata something along the lines of...

"This is neither a dance class, excercises class nor improvisational theatre, where you just move your limbs through space. This is kyokushin karate and I want you to envision your opponent in front of you and your kick should be propell like an iron bar into your opponent"

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh no, many of our instructors would disagree strongly. They exlaim at times when they feel that we lack power or dedication in kihon or kata something along the lines of...

"This is neither a dance class, excercises class nor improvisational theatre, where you just move your limbs through space. This is kyokushin karate and I want you to envision your opponent in front of you and your kick should be propell like an iron bar into your opponent"
I keep saying, forms/kata are just a tool meant to help you develop your skill. They were not meant to be put on display for the uneducated public to gawk at.

I understand that some schools develop their own forms specifically to be gawked at by the uneducated public. That is their use for them. More power to them. That is not how my forms are meant to be used. It is not artistry. It is training.

Latest Discussions