Ustu Finished

D

Disco

According to information listed on aTKD site (www.ladytkd.net), the President of the USTU really screwed the pooch. From what's posted, the USOC is shutting down and trying to recoop $200,000 from the USTU. If your interested, you should go to the site and read the whole story.

OP
D

Disco

Was able to get the computer to work right.
The Hammer Falls on Monday
Posted by: LadyTKD on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 07:19 PM

If you are going to go out, you might as well go out with a bang. President Sang Lee has proven that you can take stupidity to new heights, which in return will ensure that whiel the USTU may not hold him responsible for his actions the USOC will.

On Monday a press release will come from the USOC detailing their actions. By November 7th the USTU must return something like $200,000 that the USOC had previously forgiven. They are hitting the USTU will the full force of I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF YOU.

Seems that the USOC and the USTU attorneys hammered out an agreement last week which would stop the decertification process. This agreement stated the USOC would appoint the 5 member oversight committee, would replace the financial officer and executive director of the USTU. Sang Lee would resign, as would the treasurer and the finance committees. There would

be no interim president and Sang Lee could run an international relations committee to keep his WTF ties.

Sang Lee said no. When it became obvious to the attorneys that they could not negotiate a better deal than this, and that their obstacle was Sang Lee himself, they resigned. They were hired to save the USTU - not Sang Lee.

Sang Lee was then called into a meeting with the USOC Executive Director Jim Scherr. Sang Lee was confrontational and accusational. He made no attempt to even try to work it out.

Friday the USTU was informed they would have to return funds totalling $200K or more.

Monday the Press Release hits - as well as more fun and games. And where will our beleagured president be? At the Brazilian Embassy trying to get a visa. It's been suggested that the USOC get a refund o_n his RETURN ticket.

You do not treat people this way. These are not cowering black belts who accept every word said by Sang Lee - these are intelligent people and they don't like being treated like idiots. They are dealing from a position of power, Sang Lee was not.

So because of the arrogance of o_ne man, the whole Union falls. The o_nly saving grace is that the athletes will be protected. I can't answer questions like will the dallas meeting go forth? or will there be a magazine, as I don't know how far anyone will go in this.

I know if I were the USOC, I would hit the office monday with a vengeance and seize all that I could, send the employees home and lock the doors. I would be repoing the car, getting the gas card and turning off the phone discounts.

And before I did any of that, I would be in Colorado court requesting a receiver be named to protect what few assets are left.

Come o_n guys - when the attorneys bail - when Mark THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY OUT Bryant says there is nothing more he can do - you know the ship is not sinking, the ship has sunk.

OP
G

Galvatron

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on that event for the past few months. It really seems like at this point little (if anything) can save the USTU from decertification.
I'm curious to see who will eventually replace the USTU as the NGB.

OP
D

Disco

The AAU is already setup to step in and take over. They were the original NGB back in the late 70's early 80's anyway. They have their own dan certification program in place (and at a price that I feel is way out of line). I don't think there going to be much better. Their dan pricing and extra requirements attest to that. I have no reason to not believe that once they get the formal nod from the USOC, they will mandate that in order to compete, you must have their certification. So if in fact that becomes the case, then it's right back to square one again. You gotta pay to play.
Same tune, different jukebox.........:rolleyes:

OP
G

Galvatron

The AAU is not set up to take over Taekwondo. They merely have an extremely well organized TKD program. The Ted Stevens amateur sports act dictates that an organization can only be the NGB for one sport, for that reason the AAU chooses not to act as the NGB for any sport. They claim this is so they can give equal attention to every sport that is promoted under the AAU umbrella, keep in mind that the AAU has progams for everything from girl's softball, to chinese martial arts to Taekwondo.
The USTU was formed by some of the AAU TKD administration when the USOC said "hey look, Taekwondo needs to have a sole NGB if it's going to be recognized by us".
The USOC will most likely handle the NGB duties directly, until a new organization is formed to assume the NGB duties.
Any organization that takes over is most likely going to require membership to compete on the olympic level. The problem with the USTU isnt that it's "you gotta pay to play". It's that it is headed by a Korean citizen, who's loyalties are to Seoul and the Kukkiwon, and not to the USA and it's athletes (and also happens to rule the USTU with an iron fist).
The United States is the only country who's Taekwondo NGB is headed by a citizen of a country other than their own.

While technically the AAU can legally be the NGB, it would take an extremely unlikely chain of events to put the AAU in place as the NGB, and they would in effect have to "Backburner" all of their other sports programs in order to give TKD the attention that the USOC would require.

OP
D

Disco

The olympics are next year, 2004. The only organization that is structured to control and run national tournaments at this juncture is the AAU. If they do get the nod, how hard would it be to do the same thing they did back in the beginning of the USTU. The USTU was born from the AAU, as was pointed out. They'll just do it again, only this time with a different underlying charter. Now the USOC can have oversite, but they are not setup to run it. They would just assign the AAU the authority to do it on a temp basis until the appropriate time for formal realignment can be established.

OP
G

Galvatron

Well, we will see very soon how it all pans out.
Like I said, a highly unlikely turn of events would have to occur for the AAU to get involved as an NGB. The USTU's roots lie within the AAU, but the AAU itself did not "start" the USTU. It was a breakaway organization from the AAU. When the USOC mandated that TKD have it's own dedicated NGB in order to field an olympic team, several members of the AAU TKD program broke away to start the USTU, knowing that they would be a shoe-in to land the role of NGB. The AAU certainly did not "create" the USTU.
You can rest assured that the USOC would not be pressing with decertification against the USTU if they didn't have a contigency plan to make sure we field a team for the 2004 games. The entire reason for the decertification proceedings is to "benefit the athletes".
It's all but a certainty that the USOC will take over the NGB duties temporarily until a new NGB is named.
They will most likely form an advisory board to oversee the TKD program using officials from existing TKD organizations. Rumor has it that some people from the Ohio TKD organization are involved with the potential interim overseeing of the US TKD program.
I don't by any means say there's no way the AAU will step in, but based on what I have heard from people that I know who are involved with the USTU and the AAU, I feel it is extremely unlikely.

OP
D

Disco

You may be right. As you stated we'll just have to wait and see. As for the Ohio group that you mentioned. If it is the same one that is made up of former USTU people (based in Cincinnati), then I don't see where they would be of any benefit. The USTU has been going downhill for a long time and they were in some cases, national or state ranking members during the decline. They just removed themselves from harms way early in order to try and set themselves up in power again under a new name. I had forgotten about them. They also would have the ability to step in and take over. But as stated, their the old guard under a new hat. I hope that it dosen't play out like that, but as you mentioned the USOC has been on this for a while and should have a contingency plan. At any rate, it will be interesting to watch how this unfolds.
:asian:

OP
G

Galvatron

It certainly will be interesting to watch the drama unfold. I haven't been this interested in the USTU in years...heh :)

On another note, this is something I just came across from Mike Friello, the head of the AAU Taekwondo program...

It is time for the USOC to decertify the USTU as the NGB for Taekwondo and move o_n! Of course it will be somewhat difficult for the USOC to manage the affairs of the NGB o_n an interim basis between now and the next Olympic Games, but that is precisely what is necessary and hardly impossible

OP
D

Disco

Looks like where the only ones interested in this subject:p

OP
M

MountainSage

I am very interest in this topic and agree with the general feelings of those that have commented. I believe we are in a wait and see mode. For the most part, the average TKD person has no power to change or direct the future happening with the NGB. It is very satisfying to hear that Sang Lee is running with his tail between his legs.

Mountainsage

OP
S

Spud

A little help with the TLA’s and FLA’s (three letter acronyms and four letter acronyms) Please?

USOC – United States Olympic Committee?
NGB = ?
AAU = ?
USTU =

TIA – (thanks in advance)

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
U.S.O.C.------------- Got it right !

N.G.B. -------------- National governing body

A.A.U. --------------- Amature athletic union

U.S.T.U. -------------- United states Taekwondo union

Peace, Mithios

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thread!

I recently 86ed my Korean G.M., due to his improper financial behavior, and went to Mr. Friello to receive my certification with the AAU. Went to a local AAU tourney, with my students, and we were all treated like 1st class citizens too.

Keep the posts / news coming!

white belt

OP
D

Disco

I'm still trying to find additional info on the USTU situation. I'm using the ladytkd.net site, but no further updates as yet. Whatever is/will happen, she'll find out and post it.

As far as the AAU Dan certifications go, I feel their fee's are to high (Hundreds). As bad as the USTU was/is, they at least had a fair fee ($50) if you wanted their Dan Certification.

OP
G

Galvatron

I think the AAU, while not perfect is overall a class act. If you and/or your students compete simply for the sport of it then I would highly recommend the AAU TKD program over the USTU's.

OP
D

Disco

The latest posting from www.ladytkd.net from the actual court document.

22. The USTU has failed to meet its responsibilities as an Olympic Sports Organization and as an NGB (National Governing Body) relating to its managerial and financial capabilities.

23. The USTU has failed to meet its obligations to its members and to U.S. athletes and has failed to conduct itself in a manner that demonstrates that it is capable of fulfilling the responsibilities of an Olympic Sports Organization and as an NGB.

REMEDY

24. The USTU’s membership in the USOC as an Olympic Sports Organization is terminated.
25. The USTU’s recognition as the NGB for the sport of Taekwondo is revoked.
26. USTU shall resign its membership in the World Taekwondo Federation effective immediately.
27. USTU shall immediately vacate the premises provided by the USOC at the U.S. Olympic Training Center, 1 Olympic Plaza, Colorado Spring, Colorado 80909.

28. USTU shall return all USOC property currently in its possession and repay
any monies owing the USOC

OP
D

Disco

The USOC will run the show for this olympics. There is a new organization which seems to have the USOC blessings, but is not fully functional to handle the olympic requirements at this time.

New Org is listed as USA-TKD at www.usatkd.org

Latest Discussions