Upper-Cut Attacks

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shiatsu
However, with the down blocks against a uppercut I would like to see it done, against a uppercut thrown full speed. A elbow to the fist, is not really practical against a properly thrown uppercut. Saying it will break the hand can only come from experiance of trying it. Any technique that relies on pain is doomed to fail.

Question for you. What is your definition of a properly throw uppercut?

The FMA have many limb destructions. The bones in the hand are not as hard as an elbow. I too have also had an uppercut blocked with an elbow during sparring. Even with the gloves on it still hurt like hell.

Mike

S

Shiatsu

Well for the 1 2 3 4 part. I copied and pasted it off of kenpo net. I am kajukenbo, so those are AK techniques. As for myself and what I consider a correct uppercut. I have been boxing for a little under 20 years now, so I would say the way that I throw it, but I can't show that obviously. But a properly executed one, close in(which obviously isn't where we want to be).

:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Close in? Are you referring to the clinch position? If thats the case, then yeah, it would probably be a little harder considering your hands might be on the other person.

Thanks for the reply!:asian:

Mike

S

Shiatsu

Well, my only point is, that a well thrown uppercut can't be thrown from a long distance, so yes basically almost the clinch.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the reply! Another question for you: What are some of the ways that you block the uppercut? I realize that its easier to show than to write, but an advice would be appreciated!

Also, regarding the blocking of the punch. I was referring to a low uppercut, not one towards the chin, while in the clinch.

Mike

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... are a nice way when in very tight, i.e. boxer's typical uppercut range. Think of a positional check, elbows anchored to the front, (not to be confused with "touching" the front) of the ribs; chin tucked; slight rotation is all that is needed, maybe with a slight drop in height zone, and boy does your uppercut get hurt by their boney elbows.

Try it ... it got done to me and I bruised for a couple of weeks.

-Michael

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mr.Billings- Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have used the elbows to block and have found it effective. I was just inquiring to Shiatsus' reply regarding how HE threw the punch. I was getting the impression that the way he was throwing it, blocking with the elbows would not work.

Mike

Latest Discussions