Update: Manong Ted Buot

Ian Kinder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of Mr. Buot’s daughters called me yesterday to let me know that he was transferred to a rehabilitation facility close to his home and to ask me to please spread the word. If you are a student, you can contact the family for the specific location. You are also welcome to contact my office. I just e-mailed Jaye Spiro, David Hatch and Paul Janulis the details as well.

Thank you to all the MT members who have expressed concern. Things are moving in a positive direction.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ian Kinder said:
One of Mr. Buot’s daughters called me yesterday to let me know that he was transferred to a rehabilitation facility close to his home and to ask me to please spread the word. If you are a student, you can contact the family for the specific location. You are also welcome to contact my office. I just e-mailed Jaye Spiro, David Hatch and Paul Janulis the details as well.

Thank you to all the MT members who have expressed concern. Things are moving in a positive direction.

THANKS! Ian.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some time this week, Manong Ted is scheduled to be moved from his current location for PT and OT to a long term care facility, where he can still work his PT and practice his OT.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Some time this week, Manong Ted is scheduled to be moved from his current location for PT and OT to a long term care facility, where he can still work his PT and practice his OT.

Let me clarify. The Long Term is longer term for the PT. The current location was just to train him with the OT and work his PT at the same time.

cebuescrima

White Belt
Reaction score
First off, thank you for all your wonderful get well wishes and prayers. My name is Melissa and am the youngest daughter of Ted Buot. Since I had a complete brain drain the past few months, I've forgotten to forward the student list to Rich Parsons. Anyway, I decided to join MT and give you guys my 2 cents.
Dad is doing much better. I just left him a few minutes ago (after my midnight shift with him) and he was sitting in the chair eating his lunch of very yummy(not) turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and broccoli. He's been participating in speech, physical and occupational therapy at least 6 days a week. He is mentally and emotionally motivated to do what it takes to get better. He's doing a lot of conversations with his left side and telling it to listen to his brain :)
I also want to thank his students for their dedication, loyalty and loving kindness through this ordeal. My family appreciates it very much. Please continue to see him, he misses all of you. As you know, Balintawak is his passion and one of his loves. Seeing his students only gives him more motivation and encouragement to continue his work on getting better.
Again, thank you all for your well wishes.

Melissa Buot Favazza

PS: Ted Buot is currently at Evergreen Health and Living Center in Southfield MI. Please continue to send your snail mail C/O Rich Parsons.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just found this thread & wanted to wish Mr. Buot well for a continued good recovery. :asian:

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Melissa,

We missed meeting when I came to see Manong Ted a couple of weeks ago with Jaye. Thank you and your family for taking such good care of him. I will come by my next trip to Detroit and hopefully I will be able to thank you in person.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last I saw Manong Ted, he was doing well. He is still doing PT and some OT. When he gets to a point of being able to move enough on his own he should be able to go home and continue is PT with out patient.

Speedy Recovery.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Last I saw Manong Ted, he was doing well. He is still doing PT and some OT. When he gets to a point of being able to move enough on his own he should be able to go home and continue is PT with out patient.

Speedy Recovery.

Great news. May his recovery progress speedily!

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I received a phone cal tonight while I was teaching class.

The phone call was from Melissa aka CebuEscrima, that Manong Ted Buot has been released from his therapy center, and is now at home for those who know where it is. I do not know his schedule yet, for visitors, so I would call first.

I will post more after I get a chance to see him myself next week.

Thank you all for your best wishes, and continues well wishes, as he works to recover.

:asian:

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I stopped by tonight and saw him again.

We talked about my conversations with people (* Thank you all *).

While we talked we worked on some 10 node canes. He wanted them smooth. i.e. no rough splinters from the nodes. So we, his Daughter, Manong Ted and myself, worked on some sticks. We clipped the nodes then tried to plane them down a little and then a little sand paper. Obviously we were not done when I had to leave. His daughter said that would be her homework tonight. :)

Many times we worked in silence. It was nice.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I have not had the chance to stop by recently. I have had this cold in my head and upper lungs, and did not wish to share it with my instructor, others that have been healthy have stopped by, and reported back to me.

The general reports are that he is improving physically. He is able to stand out of his chair by himself now. Still a long way to go, but he is making improvements. A Yoda Quote comes to mind here, "When you this age, look not this good, hmmmm?" Ok, maybe not an exact quote. But the intent is that he is in his mid 70's and is recovering and improving.

Thank you all for your well thoughts, and I do pass them on to him.

:asian:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just wanted to publically say "thanks" to Rich Parsons for keeping people updated on our teachers condition. I am much more private about my relationships with people, particularly my teachers and mentors. So, I personally am not a good canidate for informing people publically or openly discussing matters such as these at hand.

But it is important that the FMA community is informed about Manong Ted Buot, as he is an important figure as far as Filipino fighting culture, tradition, and history is concerned. So I am glad that Rich has been doing the job of keeping people informed, and I also thank everyone here for your support and good wishes.

Thanks again Rich and everyone!

:)

Paul Janulis