Uniform Standard vs Common Language

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are two terms that seem to be passed back and forth and I am getting a little concerned that we might be losing some clarity here. Kevin ("Iron Ox") called me the other day and commented that maybe a standard for the Hapkido community might be in order. I know some of you may be thinking that is what I have been talking about all along and that is why I though it would be worth while to start this string.

From what I understand about what Kevin was speaking of, a comon standard for the Hapkido community would be a much more comprehensive catalogue of techniques, terms and concepts. These would NOT be "minimal standards" representing a basic or core curriculum but would be closer to a comprehensive catalog identifying the corpus of what Hapkido is about.
I hope Kevin and Todd will take this opportunity to flesh this out as I am only reporting secondhand, 'kay?

For my part, what I was advocating was a "minimal standard" meaning the most basic or foundational concepts such that we would begin to use common terms for techniques, understand basic principles and hopefully use the same general methods of execution. In this way we would begin to communicate more freely about what we do.

I am not sure about the relative merits of either or both approaches, and thought folks would like to share their ideas about either or both efforts.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

What I am seeing the need for here, as a unifying effort, is a standards group, not an "organization" but a board of Hapkidoin from various backgrounds willing to talk technical turkey.

We all have our politics, that is what these boards are for, but in training, it would be GREAT to have a standard (and a high one at that) from which AS A WHOLE we can train and grow. This would REQUIRE that people stay with their respective organizations - because it is from there they will draw the lifeblood of such a group, e.g. technical knowledge. I mean, it took me 25 years to get where I am, and who I am with - so I sin't givin' that up for noone...

However, this will also serve as an ad hoc DEFINITION of whay Hapkido is - so when people show up with less than solid credentials, they will have a concrete target to work towards for rank and technical excellence.

People should pay nothing, and owe nothing to such a standards group - that keeps it honest. Membership should be based on an individuals desire to be involved, thats all.

This is really simple stuff here, a board, a set of standards, everyones politics on the table in plain view and a common goal on the mat. The other great thing is that this should identify some great Hapkidoin and their organizations, for those looking for a "home" this could be the way of finding a place to belong and train, within a single kwan, or association, knowing that when we get together we all speak the same technical language.

As far as "leadership", well in a book I read as a child I recall that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, but you cannot deny technical requirements, which can fluctuate as needed from the decision of a board of directors, from all kinds of groups, but technical targets are the goal, not thrones.

Latest Discussions