Unexpected sneaky leg attacks

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, how easy would it be for you to detect a sneaky leg attack???

Say for example, some random guy on a public street or public transit suddenly does a chop for your right rib and, you intercept it coming close to counter hitting him right back in his face but suddenly; he does an unexpected leg kick to your right heel. You can't do much to it for he retracts his legs very quickly, no damage is done to your leg though.

Still would it not be better to train prepared for lower body and leg attacks??? Right now in Wing Chun i don't feel i am prepared for such a surprised leg attack coming from the side or back.

Anyone got any personal experience and advice??? Thanks.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
low leg attacks are surprise attacks most of the time and unless you practice some where that allows such tecniqus in practice it is going to be hard to be ready for them. You are not supposed to see them comeing

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Unbalancing anyone is always a major goal in fighing. Aim to hit high and drop to tackle legs ( many different ways-must practice it) or leg sweeps. My son does judo and wrestling so now I see things a little different.

and the guy above thread is right - it is design not to be seen!

How to you defend? .............Aw you must be quick....(lucks help) not to be taken down.

Better you learn this and do it the other guy than have them do it to you!

Aloha

OP
R

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure it would be very difficult to detect especially if you walk pass someone and they do it slightly from behind...

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, but working on being "sensitive" enough to feel the contact and move accordingly is important. You may not avoid getting kicked, but you may come out in a more adventageous position or even be able to avoid getting taken down at all....possibly even attacking yourself.

7sm

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I recommend everyone work on building up their 'spider sense' to see trouble before it occurs. ;)
But in the meantime, learning how to do a good breakfall might be a good place to start.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Condition your shins. Bang them on hard stuff, easy as that. Just bang them up a little, if you cant walk you over did it lol.
When someone kicks at your leg, raise your knee. That absorbs alot of the blow but it still hurts. If someone is good at low kicking, ajust about all you can do is raise up that knee, and hope for the best.

Latest Discussions