Understanding the ethics of ranking up

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate being called Sensei at Judo. Too much baggage. I tried to get people to call me "coach" until someone up the food chain (whom I respect) reminded me that "Coach" is an official USJA Designation. <sigh>

Now I just make sure that everyone coming in knows "Sensei" only means "teacher" or "instructor" and, in Japan, the First Grade Teacher who looks like she should be getting ready for Prom instead of teaching, is still called "Sensei" by her students. That usually manages to communicate the concept. :p

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Interestingly, I've never had a problem with "Sensei" - I don't think it carried the "weight" in my instructor's school that it does some places. We found it easier than "Mr. Wyndham" or "Mr. Seymour", especially for new students who didn't remember an instructor's name. So, "Excuse me, Sensei" sometimes was a really formal, "Hey, whatever-your-name-is, can I get some help?"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feh. He might as well have called himself "Grand Poo-Bah."

grand_poobah.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

And now I know the title I'll be bestowing upon myself. Thanks, Kirk.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the difference between Sabum and Sabumnim?
Nim is an honorific added to the end of someone's name. You use it when addressing others, not when addressing yourself. It's pretty common in Asian countries. It's sort of the equivalent of me introducing myself as "Mr. Walker" to someone but I think on an even more awkward level.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nim is an honorific added to the end of someone's name. You use it when addressing others, not when addressing yourself. It's pretty common in Asian countries. It's sort of the equivalent of me introducing myself as "Mr. Walker" to someone but I think on an even more awkward level.
I think it'd be more on par with an American judge introducing himself thusly: "Hi, I'm the right honorable Horace Smith."

Latest Discussions