Unconventional Weapons

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most schools teach weapons in some form, the usual suspects being bo, katana, nunchuk, escrima, kama, etc...

do any of your schools teach anything different or unusual?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about kukri and dha? How about palm stick and short stick? How about karambit and sabatan?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got one, how about the flute?

This one allways gets people, they can't understand the aplication of the flute. In actuality, it is one of the most dangerous weapons we do. It is actually very usefull to know because it is about a foot long inch and a half thick bamboo flute, which you could use almost anything, pipe, stick, anything that fits those dynamics.

My sifu says, "when the flute comes out, someone is going to die". :D

7sm

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
non traditional but the newspaper
I really try to teach my students to use anything they pick up as weapon

We play with rocks and trowing sticks once in a while

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flexible weapons - who didn't know I was going to say that? :p

Water bottles, writing utensils, and shoes (held in hands). Those are some that I've used in the past - the first ones that come to mind. I do that sort of thing a lot - I just pick up something and start playing with it as a weapon.

Mike

S

superdave

Car antenna. Solid and flexible. The little tip will split skin like it was warm butter.

The down side is the owner of the car might get pissed if someone breaks off their antenna.

W

whackjob-san

We teach self-defense applications for the credit card, a rolled up newspaper, or a spikey high-heel, but these are hardly formal weapons forms.

When I'm in a pinch, I always revert to old faithful; I hit them with the Earth. I guarantee it's bigger than whatever weapon they're carrying... ;)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At a Wing-Chun seminar I attended years ago I learned that a mini-mag (flashlight) serves as a good defensive weapon (kubotan) in a pinch. Was told (at seminar) that Mag-lite (company) was requested by police organizations to create a smaller version of their famous lights for just this purpose...also as a companion to their side-arms for dark places. (dunno if it's true but t'was interesting none-the-less).

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I doubt the last about the mini-mag. Nice lights, but too small (read thin) to shoot with, and too little light output.

Q

Quick Sand

I did a seminar with auxillary police once that weren't allowed to carry guns so we taught them techniques with the Mag-lite. Not the mini ones but the full sized. Can be used like a stick or whatever or hitting, trapping etc. Plusing blinding a bit.

K

Kempo Guy

Our system teach many traditional Japanese weapons (sword, short sword, tanto, naginata, jo, tessen etc.) but we also keep in mind that we can utilize many day to day objects in place of some of these weapons (such as the tessen, jo, tanto etc.).

KG

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
I was practicing my SBD techniques the other day.

In other words, I had the farts, and they were Silent but deadly....weee, its good we weren't grappling! :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mike

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
I was practicing my SBD techniques the other day.

In other words, I had the farts, and they were Silent but deadly....weee, its good we weren't grappling! :rofl:

Remeber that chmical weapons are against the Geneva Convention.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Theres an idea. If you get mugged by some really immature person fart really loud and then it will crack them up then you beat them up. I think i'll skip training this on though.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did a seminar with auxillary police once that weren't allowed to carry guns so we taught them techniques with the Mag-lite. Not the mini ones but the full sized. Can be used like a stick or whatever or hitting, trapping etc.

Got poked with one and hit a few times by well meaning officers once they hurt like hell.
It is a great weapon

Latest Discussions