Un-freakin-believable

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Public denunciation is always a good move. Trick is will it matter to anybody?? And unfortunately in today's society, you could possibly be held at fault for loss of business in court if it did work.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Public denunciation is always a good move. Trick is will it matter to anybody?? And unfortunately in today's society, you could possibly be held at fault for loss of business in court if it did work.

Ahh but in today’s society in China it works just fine..... and like I said...if this were China things would be different.... but this is not China...

If I had found they were making a false claim to my sifu I would have let them know I knew it was fale and the let my sifu know what was going on and the rest would be up to him. As for what I would do, no longer give them any assistance what-so-ever, as well as stop all referrals to their school... those by the way...have stopped long before this... I just don't like the way their school is going... but that is a personal opinion and nothing more.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahh but in today’s society in China it works just fine..... and like I said...if this were China things would be different.... but this is not China...

Quite true... gong sau is alive & well in China.

If I had found they were making a false claim to my sifu I would have let them know I knew it was fale and the let my sifu know what was going on and the rest would be up to him. As for what I would do, no longer give them any assistance what-so-ever, as well as stop all referrals to their school... those by the way...have stopped long before this... I just don't like the way their school is going... but that is a personal opinion and nothing more.

Best thing you can do... :)

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like business as usual in the martial ats world Xue Sheng. not that I approve, but really, its totally normal.

I found a number of people on youtube doing kempo using Northern Shaolin (Gu Ruzhong lineage) open hand and weapons forms as part of their curriculum. From what I saw, it was video kung fu. The errors placed into the forms to mark them were intact.

Kind of crappy, but totally normal in the US and even in china from what I have heard. Claim a false lineage or made up lineage, perhaps with flying dwarves or Guan yu as a founder and open up a school with the material you semi learned from several teachers who would not acknowledge you.

Nothing new under the sun.

Example: An american Kempo guy goes from being a proud American kempo guy to a proud Japanese Kempo guy. The down time between going from an american fusion kempo to traditional Japanese style was however long it took for the ink to dry on the certificate once the style change was complete and the school sign changed.

The claim seems to be 3 - 5 years to black belt with up to 7 years between grades. So you go from being a X degree black belt in one system and KEEP YOUR RANK in a new system. How long did it take for the ink to dry? 10 years like the expectation above? I think not!

Completely common. Sad, and completely common.

The teacher who is not also a student is neither. Continuing education is the only way to improve.

Regards,

Rob

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
True, nothing new

Kind of crappy, but totally normal in the US and even in china from what I have heard. Claim a false lineage or made up lineage, perhaps with flying dwarves or Guan yu as a founder and open up a school with the material you semi learned from several teachers who would not acknowledge you.

However the difference here was not teaching bad Taiji but the possibility of claiming lineage to a sifu that did not approve such claim. There are a lot of bad taiji schools, sadly, they are becoming one of them, but that is really not my issue.

As to claims like this in China; It can and does happen from time to time but you best not let that sifu or any of his/her serious students find out. As I said Yao (Yiquan) in Beijing put a stop to a false claim to Wang Xiangzhai. Yang Zhenduo put a stop to when someone claiming lineage and familial ties to the Yang family in the US publicized said claim (in Tai Chi Magazine), both of which were easily show to be false and there was Qigong master that has made it clear that a Chinese woman teaching here in the US, claiming to be his student, is not his, nor ever was, his student.

And A Chen family member made it clear to my first sifu that he needed to stop making claims to lineage to the Chen family but that Chen family member also told me that this is America so there is not much I can do, if it were China he could and would put a stop to it. Either publically or physically.

As to the other false claims there are several made historically to gain legitimacy to a style or to break form a teacher or as a political protest against the current ruler. Examples would be claims like those made to real and, and some fictional, people like Zhang Sanfeng, Yue Fei, Guan Yu.

And of course you get the glowing cave, writings on the wall of a cave, snake vs. bird fights, etc.

However in this case the claim was not made to my sifu, who does consider me his student, it was made to 2 other people that likely have no clue as to any of it. But those claims are not my concern and lucky for them those 2 gentlemen (both in China) have no students in my area.

If I had discovered that they were making a false claim of lineage to my sifu I would have let him know and from that point it would have been up to him to decide what to do

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
That shows you to have better character than the people who might make false claims. Something I would assume from your posts and our exchanges. Much respect for keeping the values high!

Stay true to yourself and your art. I have done and will do the same as you outlined above.

The only problem is....despite my large feet, there is simply too much hiney to kick for any one lifetime.

Best regards,

Rob

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That shows you to have better character than the people who might make false claims. Something I would assume from your posts and our exchanges. Much respect for keeping the values high!

Stay true to yourself and your art. I have done and will do the same as you outlined above.

The only problem is....despite my large feet, there is simply too much hiney to kick for any one lifetime.

Best regards,

Rob

Since I walk around on a pair of 14 EEE feet myself, I know what you are talking about :D

And what else can I say but my wife tells me; I am martial arts crazy, to serious about marital arts, and more Chinese than she is :D

Latest Discussions