UKKS

K

Kirk

Anyone here a member? I'm curious as to how it compares to
EPAK. I have a friend who's started classes out in Virginia,
because he couldn't find an EPAK school (Christiansburg, VA)

Here is a link to their site.

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by Kirk

Anyone here a member? I'm curious as to how it compares to
EPAK. I have a friend who's started classes out in Virginia,
because he couldn't find an EPAK school (Christiansburg, VA)

Here is a link to their site.

Those guys had tkd uniforms on:confused: I ran into that group once. Did you find my other links... NOT THE DATING ONES EITHER!!! :mad: The one GD7 got going for me... There is a resemblance.

:redeme:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a few of those schools here in Colorado, and as far as I could tell nothing like EPAK. I have a friend that runs one of them but he's never really said much about their system :shrug:

:asian:

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It looks as if they are of the Kajukenbo lineage. Buell, the founder of the UKKS is said to train under a Young and One of the Kajukenbo founders.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is says on their web site that Professor Buell started in Hawaii under Thomas Young then under Adriano Emperado, who go back to William Chow.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I first went to thier web site I noticed that, then I saw a friend of mine who's a 5th in the UKKS and he was working out with a Korean. I asked if he was doing this to learn how to kick but got no answer (he does have fast hands and footwork).

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My first instructor received his black belt from Mr. Buell, and had nothing but good things to say about his training, he just didn't like the politics. The UKKS curriculum may have changed since my instructor trained in it, but suffice to say it works. It may not be as hmmm, sophisticated as the EPAK system is, but in some ways that isn't a bad thing. The reports of the UKKS system that I have seen and heard are that they would qualify as "Ironworker" schools.

That being said, I have no idea of how the system is currently doing as expansion and the franchise system often have unfortunate effects on overall quality.

Regarding the dobuks, you do realize that their system does have a korean lineage as well as its kenpo one. The "ka" of kajukenbo actually refers to tang soo do or "korean karate." Though how any system with any amount of grappling can use a dobuk is beyond me.

Lamont

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember a few years ago one of their 3rd degree black belts broke off and opened his own school. Here we have a guy thats been training with these people to his 3rd degree, and they wouldn't even acknowledge his presence. When someone got to fight him at a tournament, they tried knock the guy out. They wouldn't bad mouth him either, just ignore him.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Klondike93

I remember a few years ago one of their 3rd degree black belts broke off and opened his own school. Here we have a guy thats been training with these people to his 3rd degree, and they wouldn't even acknowledge his presence. When someone got to fight him at a tournament, they tried knock the guy out. They wouldn't bad mouth him either, just ignore him.

That's just sad!

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I'll tell they are are wearing korean uniforms. Would that qualify as my good deed for the year if I did?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

They would think your are just another crazy Canadian that doesn't know kung fu from Take ones Dough....
:rofl:

HEY. I resemble that remark!

Latest Discussions