Ugh. . . Innovative Firing Stances for the AK

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
These pictures remind me of a quote from the recent movie "Jarhead"
"The grunt dies for 5,000 misplaced rounds, The sniper dies for one clean shot at an officer"
I'm not certain I worded it right though. I loved that movie.

Doesn't the kickback from an AK prevent people from being able to shoot like these guys? (speaking from the perespective of someone with no experience with automatics)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The kick from ANY weapon firing full auto or at least 3 round burst would preclude handling the weapon like that IF you had any concern for any thing beyond simply firing the weapon. As previously mentioned here they are as likely to create friendly casualties as anything else.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My opinion is that in many of these cases, the intent is not precision fire, but intimidation through volume. Spray n pray in otherwords.

It's also why a well trained opponent can do serious damage to these untrained mobs.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the look on the faces in a couple of the photos I would say that survival and getting someone to duck while the persons pictured got the hell out was more the point. For some of the others i have no explanation as to why a person would fire in that manner however do you remember the first time you ever saw someone fire a hand gun in a side tilt position now everyone seems to do it

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
My opinion is that in many of these cases, the intent is not precision fire, but intimidation through volume.

I imagine it's this plus a certain amount of arrogance--a feeling of invulnerability.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I imagine it's this plus a certain amount of arrogance--a feeling of invulnerability.
It's amazing just how quickly you begin to feel invincible when a full auto winds up in your hands...until you realize that there are just as many other folks out there with the same weapon.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The lack of cover disturbs me...and the lack of fire and manuver discipline. From a strictly professional viewpoint that is.....

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think the thing is that they do what they've learned works. The problem is, when they learn that it doesn't work, they're dead.

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was told the pics came from Liberia. I didn't post them, but there were a few pics showing some men firing in life jackets. I wonder what was the idea there. I was thinking that they may have thought that it would be protection from getting shot, like a cut rate kevlar, but I also thought that after one of them got shot and the rest realized it didn't work, they would stop. I also wondered if it was some kind of gang sign, like the "viscious sailors of Liberia" or something. Ha. Finally, I thought that maybe they used it as a shoulder pad for reduction of recoil, but I can't imagine they couldn't find something smaller, less visible and less binding, besides they don't seem to be doing much shoulder firing anyway.

Latest Discussions