UFC vs US Marines

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It goes to show what happens when you take someone out of their element. These guys are top of their game in the ring but put them on a battle field with rifles in their hands and they have no clue what to do. The Marines don't play around with their martial arts program. I was recently participating in an exercise where I had a Marine SSgt under me and we talked about their program. Apparently it's difficult to maintain instructors in the program because it mandates a continuous involvement and the instructors having to periodically fly back to the MCMAP school house to recert which isn't always feasible.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen this before. I like the way the marines place importance on training the mind and not just making mindless killers who just want to cause harm. As far as real life combat that's a good simulation. When you are fighting for your life go all out, forget trying to look pretty or skilled. Instantly hit the beast mode button and see if you can make them fear you. This video always makes me happy because I do weapons training and my mindset now is no longer like the one that the UFC guys had when they picked up a weapon (not knowing how to use it). That leg sweep on Stan was nice. The Marine (4:43 mark) actually cleared the snow so that he can have better footing. The area was only big enough for his footing.
The UFC guys could learn some lessons from this kid. Who ever added the video could learn a few lessons about picking music that fits the action lol

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The UFC guys could learn some lessons from this kid.

The UFC guys are professional MMA fighters, the Marines are professional soldiers, chalk and cheese. One fights for entertainment the other doesn't.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tez3.. Some schools TMA and modern martial arts schools do 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1 fight simulations for the purpose of learning how to keep the attackers in front of you. The video of the kid reminds me of that training and he does a good job in not letting someone take his back. The kid has a mature awareness for someone his age. He knew when someone was too close to his back and he pushes through when attacking which 1. makes his attackers chase him and 2. lines them up nicely for when turns around to deal with them. He even kicked the kid that was off to the side (out of the fight) licking his wounds lol.

The UFC guys gave their backs more than I would have thought. I thought they would have been more aware.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The UFC guys are professional MMA fighters, the Marines are professional soldiers, chalk and cheese. One fights for entertainment the other doesn't.
Exactly. Its apples and oranges. And Marines mostly train to fight with weapons, MMA fighters train mostly to fight in the ring or the octagon.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Tez3.. Some schools TMA and modern martial arts schools do 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1 fight simulations for the purpose of learning how to keep the attackers in front of you. The video of the kid reminds me of that training and he does a good job in not letting someone take his back. The kid has a mature awareness for someone his age. He knew when someone was too close to his back and he pushes through when attacking which 1. makes his attackers chase him and 2. lines them up nicely for when turns around to deal with them. He even kicked the kid that was off to the side (out of the fight) licking his wounds lol.

The UFC guys gave their backs more than I would have thought. I thought they would have been more aware.

How many times to they fight more than one person in the ring?

They were out of their element. It does not mean they are not skilled, just that, as kuniggety said "These guys are top of their game in the ring but put them on a battle field with rifles in their hands and they have no clue what to do."

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How many times to they fight more than one person in the ring?

They were out of their element. It does not mean they are not skilled

Not giving your back to the opponent has nothing to do with how many times a person had to fight multiple attackers. How many times do you think the kid fought against multiple attackers before that fight? Not giving your back is an understanding of a situation and not a skill set. For example: She tries to keep everyone in front of her. It's the mentality of it.
They were out of their element. It does not mean they are not skilled,
I never said that they weren't skilled. But I did mention that I was glad that my mindset isn't like that anymore. I'm pretty sure after that day, the UFC guys no longer have the same mindset either.

The reason I like UFC Marine video is because I see my own progress within my own martial arts from a mental perspective and not a skilled one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said that they weren't skilled. But I did mention that I was glad that my mindset isn't like that anymore. I'm pretty sure after that day, the UFC guys no longer have the same mindset either.

It depends on a lot of things, for example why were the MMA fighters from the UFC with the Marines? Was if publicity, a goodwill visit or was it serious training? If it was the last what training was it for, self defence, combat or MMA competition?
We have a lot of soldiers as MMA students, their mind-set when they are training MMA is solely on MMA, when they are weapons training it's on weapons etc. I don't really think you can take much from watching the video other than it's good to see the military being visited by a well known organisation. As for mind sets, well they are all good at what they do and second guessing from a video is not really accurate.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I never meant to imply that you did, my apologies. I put that in so no one would get the wrong idea that I was implying that

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never meant to imply that you did, my apologies. I put that in so no one would get the wrong idea that I was implying that
Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two on one going flat knacker is really hard to overcome. It kind of sits in unarmed vs knife territory in regards to success rate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two on one going flat knacker is really hard to overcome

That made me laugh! Not at the meaning but the expression!! Flat knacker....I'm not sure they were after his knackers!

Latest Discussions