UFC Owners buy Pride for $65 Million?

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hopefully Pride will be able to get a TV deal in Japan and then of course a reality show to fuel the fire.

I don't know... have you seen many Japanese gameshows that involve "challenges"... Prides version of TUF could come out pretty wacky :)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know... have you seen many Japanese gameshows that involve "challenges"... Prides version of TUF could come out pretty wacky :)

ninja warrrior perhaps? that show rocks! Pride versions of TUF could be fun, especially if they find some way to mix the show with the UFC version... perhaps let the finale be the weight champs from UFC and Pride fighting? Just need to a find a compromise on rules/ring

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One good thing in there is this:

Fertitta said, "Bottom line, I'm a huge fan of MMA. This is not about business. This is not about making money. This is about putting together the dream fights that me and you as fans have always wanted to see." Fertitta continued, "The UFC is like my baby, and now I have another and I love both just the same."

I want to see some dream fights :)

savior

Green Belt
Reaction score
I dont understand how this can be a bad thing. With a wider pool of fighters, there will be more opportunities of tremendous fights, and truely superior champions!

The only two questions I have are, what happens to the octagon/ring, and will PRIDE adopt UFC's rules (visa-versa), or will a new set of rules be created?

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I dont understand how this can be a bad thing. With a wider pool of fighters, there will be more opportunities of tremendous fights, and truely superior champions!

The only two questions I have are, what happens to the octagon/ring, and will PRIDE adopt UFC's rules (visa-versa), or will a new set of rules be created?

Many times when you have a rival competitor you work harder, your innovative, and you strive to present the best product possible to get your share of the market. When that competition goes away so does the intensity and drive to be the best because you say why work so hard I am the only one on the block anyway.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many times when you have a rival competitor you work harder, your innovative, and you strive to present the best product possible to get your share of the market. When that competition goes away so does the intensity and drive to be the best because you say why work so hard I am the only one on the block anyway.
true, but this also opens the door for smaller competitors I think. UFC will not be in a vacuum, but they sure do have the majority of the attention, especially after the buyout. I'm hoping some new player will arise :)

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
While I agree that competition generally increase the quality of a product - would you honestly say that Pride has been a serious competitor of the UFC for the last 12, 18 even 24months?

I wouldn't and in that time frame imho the UFC has continued to push for bigger, better events and the quality of competitors has continued to increase.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

What you have to think about though is the little guy, the forrest griffins, the keith jardine's and the Matt Hamils....with Pride fighters been thrown into the octagon it doesnt leave much space for the TUF guys.

Infact What would be the point of continuing to run TUF if none of the fighters could actually get anywhere in the UFC?
It would be like joe blogs winning the next TUF and in his first UFC having to fight either....Chuck Liddel, wanderlei silva, shogun Rua, Dan henderson or Rampage jackson..what chance does he have?....the deal takes out the little guy

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While I agree that competition generally increase the quality of a product - would you honestly say that Pride has been a serious competitor of the UFC for the last 12, 18 even 24months?

I wouldn't and in that time frame imho the UFC has continued to push for bigger, better events and the quality of competitors has continued to increase.

It depends from which stand point, the past 3 ppv have been big for the UFC but the year to date has still been cover with Rematch after rematch and a massive lack of heavy weight talent, take the smooth with the rough.

Pride has been having difficulty for the past year due to dreamwave.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the TUF series will probably continue on even if some of the fighter's will never make it to the Octagon. The real reason for the TUF series is to generate interest in MMA so that people want to see the headline, pay per view fight's of the UFC. It is a brilliant marketing ploy that Dana White has exploited successfully and finally put the UFC on the map as a sport that may eventually be one of the top sporting events out there. Now if only they would go public so we could buy stock!
icon6.gif

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well the TUF series will probably continue on even if some of the fighter's will never make it to the Octagon. The real reason for the TUF series is to generate interest in MMA so that people want to see the headline, pay per view fight's of the UFC. It is a brilliant marketing ploy that Dana White has exploited successfully and finally put the UFC on the map as a sport that may eventually be one of the top sporting events out there. Now if only they would go public so we could buy stock!
icon6.gif
Of course, that is one of the prime reasons for TUF, but I'm sure they are making some decent money from advertisement and overpurposeful product placement (Sorry, I don't want to watch anyone talk about how wonderful their deoderant is while they are putting it on, or how fabulous Xyience is while drinking it).

Either way, Dana is quite bright :) kudos to his marketing, even if certain aspects I don't like, they seem to work!

Now UFC stock? I dunno about that! LOL!

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
icon6.gif

Again though, how long will that be for if the trend is to win TUF but then get no where in the UFC, viewers will see quickly that TUF fighters are at the bottom of the food chain and lose interest.....

saying that I doubt very much Dana will flood the UFC just yet plus its not actually Zuffa that own Pride so its not up to them, it will make cross overs much easier and there is big talk of having an ''mma superbowl' event.

I think right now though certain fighters should be very worried about there carears. ( :