UFC Behind and Closed Minded?

AoCAdam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Considering that MMA is still not legal in every state in America yet, I don't think allowing Female MMA in the UFC will help his cause to petition the athletic boards in states such as New York.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering that MMA is still not legal in every state in America yet, I don't think allowing Female MMA in the UFC will help his cause to petition the athletic boards in states such as New York.

I think it will do quite the opposite actually. A men only sport is not popular in many places and when it's a martial sport even more so.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid you are parsing your argument, sir. The opinion of the MMA hardcore fans was not my point - the overall ratings were.

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/05/11/gina-carano-makes-maxims-hot-100/

"Her matchups on CBS saw the biggest audience draw of any fighter aside from Kimbo Slice. Since then she was profiled on ESPN's E:60 and had her likeness used in a videogame"

I'm just saying that female fighters can generate ratings.

I understood what you are saying, my point is "why" she is a draw, and it isn't because of her fighting abilities. She is a very good fighter, but draws the attention for different reasons. Same thing for Kimbo Slice, he was an internet draw that most MMA fans did not like and thought it was bad for the sport to see him getting hyped so much. EliteXC folded because they were banking their shows on "sideshow draws" and not purely on talent. Kimbo used to have his opponents handpicked for him to build him up even more and then lost to a B or C level fighter it REALLY showed the fault of their logic.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I understood what you are saying, my point is "why" she is a draw, and it isn't because of her fighting abilities. She is a very good fighter, but draws the attention for different reasons. Same thing for Kimbo Slice, he was an internet draw that most MMA fans did not like and thought it was bad for the sport to see him getting hyped so much. EliteXC folded because they were banking their shows on "sideshow draws" and not purely on talent. Kimbo used to have his opponents handpicked for him to build him up even more and then lost to a B or C level fighter it REALLY showed the fault of their logic.

Even when Kimbo was doing his "Street Fights" he had ridiculous rules, well smart for him, but ridiculous in that all manner of takedown and grappling was illegal, kicks were illegal, knees and elbows were illegal, the knowckdown rule was a 30 second count...done by his guys, I really do not think Kimbo would do good in any type of fight other then those rules... he has a strong body that can take punches when he is prepared for them and does not have to worry about kicks or other weapons... has good stamina, good recovery, and a strong punch. He simply is a joke.
Gina on the other hand has good skills, She has been fighting Thai style kickboxing fights for well over a decade, she has put the time in, the sweat, blood, everything. She might also be blessed with good looks, and an ability to market herself, but please do not confuse these two opposite ends of the spectrum fighters with each other. I will agree however that a large portion of her draw on elitexc was due to the marketing of her sex appeal, but her skills are no joke.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even when Kimbo was doing his "Street Fights" he had ridiculous rules, well smart for him, but ridiculous in that all manner of takedown and grappling was illegal, kicks were illegal, knees and elbows were illegal, the knowckdown rule was a 30 second count...done by his guys, I really do not think Kimbo would do good in any type of fight other then those rules... he has a strong body that can take punches when he is prepared for them and does not have to worry about kicks or other weapons... has good stamina, good recovery, and a strong punch. He simply is a joke.
Gina on the other hand has good skills, She has been fighting Thai style kickboxing fights for well over a decade, she has put the time in, the sweat, blood, everything. She might also be blessed with good looks, and an ability to market herself, but please do not confuse these two opposite ends of the spectrum fighters with each other. I will agree however that a large portion of her draw on elitexc was due to the marketing of her sex appeal, but her skills are no joke.[/quote]

Her professionalism was though. her obvious skill though makes it even worst that she could never make weight for any of her fights and always came in over. If she'd been a male fighter sanctions would have been taken against her but as the 'pet' of Elite the rules were changed for her, the weight class suddenly became an 'catch' weight one and her opponent was told fight her at that weight or don't get paid. Yes I can prove that, Rosi Sexton's manager Karl Tanswell was told that. It's all very well saying well don't fight her then but when you've paid for transatlantic flights, hotels etc and you face huge debts if you don't fight what are you going to do? Feel free to contact Karl who is well known and well respected in the worldwide MA community for his views on this.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Regarding female MMA, I can't speak for most "Americans" but being one myself I've been out and caught some women's MMA that was featured on a usually male oriented card.

What I saw was women who were more technically sound in take downs, submissions, and even the ground & pound was exciting to watch. A lot of the women were just as fierce, if not more so than the men, and who can blame them because they've got something to prove. They do belong in the sport regardless of views against it.

However, on the subject of why the UFC has not capitalized on the growing sport of female MMA. I don't think its got anything to do with the drawing power. If you're curious you're going to tune in if for no other reason to see history made in the world of mixed martial arts. By then it would prove to be a fast draw. Not a question of when it would draw.

The viewership would be split. 60 for 40 against. Also it might have controversy Dana White isn't ready for. I love women's MMA because its just as exciting as watching the men fight. I would love to see a UFC Women's Championship but its unlikely you'll see that any time soon.

Unless the sport becomes marketable enough for the UFC to feature, and create a division for it. You're likely going to have to go outside of the UFC to watch it.

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
The company's marketing will take it where the money is. As soon as someone can show them that it will sell pay per views I'm sure it will be on the card.

That's the bottom line for Zuffa, not anything to do with how we look at women in society ect. If the other circuits start to show a measurable profit due to it then expect the UFC to follow suit.

If it continues to be unpopular from a ticket selling standpoint then it probably won't break in anytime soon. Nothing against Dana or the organization, they're just following the dollars.

Latest Discussions