UFC 106 interview: Grove is growing weary of decisions

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-19-2009 10:10 PM:

Kendall Grove likes being above the fray in the life but it's not theeasiest thing to deal with in the Octagon. At 6-foot-6, he's got to bethe tallest middeweight fighters in the world. That lengthdefinitely gives him a striking advantage especially with his kicks butit can prove to be a nightmare when Grove faces a wrestler or grappler.He was visibly frustrated when facing jiu-jitsu ace Ricardo Almeida atUFC 101. Grove lost that fight because he couldn't stay out ofAlmeida's clinch and now he's got a three-time NCAA wrestling champstanding in front of him in Jake Rosholt at UFC 106.

"That's why I love this game. It's a gamble. You never know what fighter's going to show up that night," Grove told Cagewriter. "I'm just going to come out and do what I dobest, be exciting and not worry about the takedowns so much."

Grovedrilled his wrestling heavily and changed his strength workouts. TheHawaiian took the advice of B.J. Penn and worked for four weeks withMarv Marinovich. The 28-year-old feels stronger but he may not be atthe same athletic level as Penn or Rosholt yet. Both of those guys havethe "famed YouTube pool jump" to their credit. Penn was the first MMAfighter to explode on the net (3.51 million views) with his leap from three feet of water.That's without the assistance of his hands. Rosholt topped Penn bydoing it backwards.

This is a big fight for both guys. Rosholt(6-1, 2-1 UFC) needs to continue to show that he can handle good strikers and Grove (10-6, 5-3 UFC) reallyneeds to shore up his takedown defense if he wants rise above beingmore than a card filler at 185 pounds.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions