U.S. JMA compared to Japan and other JMA

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
From what i understand the U.S. karate, judo, and pretty much every other japanese art is terrible compared to that of how it is is japan and other places like europe....this true?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back in the days when I was doing Kyokushin, we had Japanese student come in who had been studying at home and he came to study with us while he was at Notre Dame University. Besides laughing at how we butchered his language, he was impressed. He came in thinking it wouldn't be as good and was pleasantly surprised.

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Although not speaking from first hand, personal experience, I have been told by others in our organization that have trained with several Japanese Martial Artists and the jest is, it's not true. There are good and bad dojo and students in America and Japan.:asian:

I agree with Andrew, good and bad everywhere.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
in sports martial art (Karate, Judo), USA, Europe and Japan has about achieving parity. (hint: does the names Elisa Au, Michel Millon and Ogawa Naoya rings a bell?) :)

But I think the Europeans took their Budo VERY VERY Seriously. Especially in France, where the Government are regulating martial arts instructions.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
Especially in France, where the Government are regulating martial arts instructions.

Any idea how the French government does that?

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
they are appointing several organizations as the qualifying bodies for instructors to receive teaching permissions inside France. For example, if you are an Aikido stylist, you have to receive a government-approved license by the recommendation from government-approved Aikido organization. No license=no permissions to teach.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first thing the libertarian in me wonders is how much money they spend on that. LOL. I just don't think that could be a good thing. And I thought some of the organizational politics in the USA was bad. Bringing real polotics into it must be horrible.

Jeff

Latest Discussions