Two stance exercises

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
We used to do these in our school you might find them of use to you .
Some people have a good stance when they are standing still , but can't keep it while they are moving.
This first exercise can help with this problem , its pretty simple get into your stance and have your partner place his hand on your lower abdomen .

He gives you a little bit of resistance as you attempt to walk forwards , sink your weight down and mentally beam your force forwards . If its too hard , get him to back off on the resistance , if its to easy get him to put on more resistance .

When you get better you can overcome more resistance and even walk forwards when his hand is upon your chest and later almost up to your neck .
This next one tests the overall integrity of your stance , you will need one of those big kick shields. Your partner holds the kick shield on the side of his body , one hand holds the bottom of the shield firmly and the other hand holds the top , don't grab it by the straps on the back , they are useless and cause the pad to flop around .

Next thing you do is get into your stance , your partner goes away to a distance of approx five metres and then he charges at you as hard as he can whilst holding the pad .
As he comes into range you throw out a thrusting medium heel kick , if you get the timing right and your stance is good , for him it will feel like he just impaled himself on a metal pole .

If you get moved back a lot by the force of his charge then you know you have to do a bit of work on your stance , possibly sinking down and relaxing the thighs a bit more .

If you only get moved back a couple of inches then that is acceptable especially if the pad holder is really huge . But the ideal is not to get moved back at all . Although it will benefit your kicking , think of it more as a stance exercise .

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent technique I like it.

We used to do these in our school you might find them of use to you .
Some people have a good stance when they are standing still , but can't keep it while they are moving.
This first exercise can help with this problem , its pretty simple get into your stance and have your partner place his hand on your lower abdomen .

He gives you a little bit of resistance as you attempt to walk forwards , sink your weight down and mentally beam your force forwards . If its too hard , get him to back off on the resistance , if its to easy get him to put on more resistance .

When you get better you can overcome more resistance and even walk forwards when his hand is upon your chest and later almost up to your neck .
This next one tests the overall integrity of your stance , you will need one of those big kick shields. Your partner holds the kick shield on the side of his body , one hand holds the bottom of the shield firmly and the other hand holds the top , don't grab it by the straps on the back , they are useless and cause the pad to flop around .

Next thing you do is get into your stance , your partner goes away to a distance of approx five metres and then he charges at you as hard as he can whilst holding the pad .
As he comes into range you throw out a thrusting medium heel kick , if you get the timing right and your stance is good , for him it will feel like he just impaled himself on a metal pole .

If you get moved back a lot by the force of his charge then you know you have to do a bit of work on your stance , possibly sinking down and relaxing the thighs a bit more .

If you only get moved back a couple of inches then that is acceptable especially if the pad holder is really huge . But the ideal is not to get moved back at all . Although it will benefit your kicking , think of it more as a stance exercise .

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Huh, this sounds pretty cool, I've just figured out how to do my stance properly, at least so I beleive, i'm sure i'll figure out some of the finer details as I go on, but once I feel like I have a good grasp of it I'll try and see if I can't get these tested out! thanks :)

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very cool Mook! We do the pad drill, but I'm gonna have hubbie try the pushing on tummy drill.
Thanks for sharing that!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Si-Je I am purple belt now. I am getting close to you now. When I hit four hundred I will be a brown belt hooray...

Very cool Mook! We do the pad drill, but I'm gonna have hubbie try the pushing on tummy drill.
Thanks for sharing that!