Twin Kimonos

H

Hrrikane

When performing this techinque do you insert an inward raking hammer fist to the face after the the horizontal back knuckle strike to the ribs or do you just skip this and go straight to the clearing of the opponent's hands?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Hrrikane
When performing this techinque do you insert an inward raking hammer fist to the face after the the horizontal back knuckle strike to the ribs or do you just skip this and go straight to the clearing of the opponent's hands?

Are you asking me personally or how I teach it?

:asian:

OP
D

dcence

Like so many things in Kenpo, if it is there take it, but don't go out of your way for it. In this case you potentially bent them over with the backknuckle to the solar plexus (I prefer this to the ribs), and their head may be in a good position to be hit. You can strike the face with the hammerfist (upper case) and the arms with the forearm (lower case). But if it isn't there I don't reach for it.

Derek

OP
S

Sergio Jódar

Yes you can do it. It´s only a sophysticated basic. I totally agree with Derek´s argument.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't force the move if the head were not in position. If he has the presence of mind to turn his head away from your impending strike you are gonna rake your knuckles right across the back of his skull. So, my advice, for what its worth is to look before you leap and choose the best method at the time.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor has not asked to see this tech in about the last twenty years. I would have to ask his real reason, but he has us work "lone kimono" all the time. My theory is that he feels "Twin kimono" is just a variation of "lone Kimono". I'll ask next time I see him but who knows when that will be?
Sean

OP
H

Hrrikane

I would like to hear both, how you teach the technique and how you execute the technique. My instructor has pretty much said the same thing as everybody else. If it is there take it but be aware of how the opponent responds to the initial strikes.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How you teach the technique?

I teach the technique initially to the beginner without the (key word), "inserts". I think the beginner has enough on his plate to learn the sequence first and to develop the coordination necessary at this level.

How you execute the technique?

As the student progresses..... you go back to older techniques and point out various little "tweaks", points, missed understandings or openings and develop the "on-going" development of knowledge of the student with all the techniques.

These include many adjustments to..... Environment, Range, Position, Maneuvers, Targets, Natural Weapons & Covers or Defenses (during and after the confrontation).

At Orange Belt the student is introduced to the "Equation Formula", but I don't start "pressing" the -application- of this "option" until the Brown Belt Level and really emphasize all the possibilities and expansions that techniques develop, after the student reaches Black and then throughout the rest of his studies. This is a never ending "what if" research and development area.

My instructor has pretty much said the same thing as everybody else. If it is there take it but be aware of how the opponent responds to the initial strikes.

I also agree with your instructor, that if an opportunity presents itself and the student can capitalize or utilize the opportunity....... then by all means take it (if recognized and capable), unless it detracts from the student reacting with a more comfortable and useable series that is effective.

Inserts are just that..... INSERTS ..... options that CAN be used if the awareness of the executioner is keen and it is in the flow of the individual. If not it can be a useless possibility and even a detrimental action if tried by an under developed student that is only trying to put tooooooo much [techno knowledge] into the development of striking every target in a particular situation.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GD, The question of inserting seems to be only an issue if you are attempting to adhere to a pattern. Targets are the master key to sparring; so, not that your method is wrong, we would stress fighting aspect of the tech but limit the "inserting" or target taking, if you will, to the technique idea at hand. However our beginners are rarly asked to complete a whole technique idea. That is we stress the first few moves only. Yes I understand that this is not AK anymore but we make do. I will be training under Shaun Gants come december so I may come to be doing the more AK methods yet.
Sean

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Orig. posted by Touch'O'Death
GD, The question of inserting seems to be only an issue if you are attempting to adhere to a pattern.
Sean

Well, the question was asked how "I" do this, and thus my answer. As to what you have mentioned, yes, you are correct - inserting is a "tool" that was designed to "demonstrate" the ability to be able to recognize an opportunity and make such an adjustment in the teaching parameters we call our curriculum, nothing more - nothing less. I am not a slave to the system but rather the reverse. Kenpo offers a good road map and medium to train our principles, concepts and theories until you have the ability to respond extemporaneously effectively.

Targets are the master key to sparring...
Sean

Gee, I hate to disagree with you but........ Targets are hardly Master Keys to sparring...
(who sold you on that statement?) they simply are what they are..... TARGETS! Whether you can hit them from the position you find yourself in at the time of attack is the question. :)

so, not that your method is wrong, we would stress fighting aspect of the tech but limit the "inserting" or target taking, if you will, to the technique idea at hand.
Sean

Great, I agree with you, my method is not wrong, likewise what you stress is equally a good method to practice as well (which we also do).

However our beginners are rarely asked to complete a whole technique idea. That is we stress the first few moves only.
Sean

Each to his own, as we both know, the first few moves are the most important, regardless if you continue the technique or not. I would prefer to drop the opponent on the first move if possible but....... but.... in the event I don't, we are "taught" {within the system} how to continue if something should go wrong, a move miss, or not be as effective on the opponent as anticipated.

All Boxers dream of the knockout, however the smart ones realize that they never really know just when <<"that">> punch will occur, so they train combinations. There have been several combinations started that could not be finished due to the KO of the 1st punch.... likewise there have been several definite KO's thrown that missed or had seemingly no effect on the person:shrug: !
So train hard make no excuses!

Yes, I understand that this is not AK anymore but we make do.
Sean

It isn't????:confused: Wow, you threw me again!

I will be training under Shaun Gants come december so I may come to be doing the more AK methods yet.
Sean

Let's hope!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So the eight considerations you took time to write "are what they are" and are not master keys. Why consider them then?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the eight considerations you took time to write "are what they are" and are not master keys. Why consider them then?

A little off Target aren't you? I am not the one who said Targets were "Master Keys" YOU WERE, the these posts are not even about MASTER KEYS! :rofl:

<<My>> response to the 8 considerations was in direct response to the question "How I execute the technique", which "IS" the point of the thread, and I quote:

Orig. posted by Goldendragon
As the student progresses..... you go back to older techniques and point out various little
"tweaks", points, missed understandings, openings, and or "inserts" from the "Equation Formula" and develop the "on-going" development of knowledge of the student with all the techniques.

These include many adjustments to..... Environment, Range, Position, Maneuvers, Targets, Natural Weapons & Covers or Defenses (during and after the confrontation).

I related to when I teach the "insert" and how it "could" be placed, during the course of a technique.

That's why I considered them then.:D

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So then you would also disagree that "position" is the master key to groundwork. It is what is is nothing more nothing less, that sort of thing huh?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So then you would also disagree that "position" is the master key to groundwork. It is what is is nothing more nothing less, that sort of thing huh?

Sorry, :( I can't answer that, it is not on topic within this thread.:rolleyes:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well thats just it, by my line of thinking, targets were on topic , but by your line of thinking they were not. By changing to another consideration I wanted to see if your logic followed, thats all, but we will just drop the topic, I suppose, it is your will.:shrug:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
Well thats just it, by my line of thinking, targets were on topic , but by your line of thinking they were not. By changing to another consideration I wanted to see if your logic followed, thats all, but we will just drop the topic, I suppose, it is your will.:shrug:

No need to drop it...... just start a new thread with your question.

thats all..
;) :D

Latest Discussions