Twin Kimono EXT

mx49c

White Belt
Reaction score
I am learning this tech, but need some advice. The lifting forearm strike, is done with the outside of forear almost like I am extending a block toward the attacker & finishing in a diagonal straight arm? Anyone have an innovative way of explaining incrementally how this is executing would be helpful.

the other question is after checking downward & diagonally across the attackers mid section (after the straight arm in paragraph above), what are we checking? its not a strike, its not a block... what is this?

And after doing that, I am to step back with my right leg, however if I go into a left NB, then the next shin strike does not flow with the front foot (left foot). I feel off balance for this shin strike/heel palm done simultaneously.

Last one: are these shin kicks or foot stomps in this tech?

thanks

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ask 10 instructors; get 10 different answers. How does YOUR instructor want you to do it?

The "what" can be communicated in this media. The "How" must be shown in person. Do what you can to find a live instructor to walk you though these maneuvers and techniques.

Good luck,

Dave

OP
M

mx49c

White Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I was not look for philosophical pontification, I am looking to discuss this technique with others who wish to share their experience.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First of all pin and cheat up the circle with your left foot as you execute a foward bow toward "say" 10:30. This motion should cause a break (shorter people should think in terms of a thrusting upward strike/block). Cheat further up the circle and check his posture with a back knuckle to the bladder, pubic bone, solar plexus, or inside of the thigh.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suppose I should also add that if his arms bend after the break your return motion apex before the BK is also a positional check; and, the return motion of any strike to any point of reference is a check.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
First of all pin and cheat up the circle with your left foot as you execute a foward bow toward "say" 10:30. This motion should cause a break (shorter people should think in terms of a thrusting upward strike/block). Cheat further up the circle and check his posture with a back knuckle to the bladder, pubic bone, solar plexus, or inside of the thigh.
Sean

Hey Sean,

Question: Maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but are you saying to step up or forward in the beginning? I was taught this as a lapel grab, with them pushing out.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
mx49c said:
I am learning this tech, but need some advice. The lifting forearm strike, is done with the outside of forear almost like I am extending a block toward the attacker & finishing in a diagonal straight arm? Anyone have an innovative way of explaining incrementally how this is executing would be helpful.

When I do this, I find myself almost hitting more with the top of the arm. Keep in mind, that this will probably get more of a hyper-extension rather than a break.

the other question is after checking downward & diagonally across the attackers mid section (after the straight arm in paragraph above), what are we checking? its not a strike, its not a block... what is this?

You're checking their arms.

And after doing that, I am to step back with my right leg, however if I go into a left NB, then the next shin strike does not flow with the front foot (left foot). I feel off balance for this shin strike/heel palm done simultaneously.

Your left foot should move first, not the right.

Last one: are these shin kicks or foot stomps in this tech?

Stomp to the instep.

You're Welcome. :)

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Hey Sean,

Question: Maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but are you saying to step up or forward in the beginning? I was taught this as a lapel grab, with them pushing out.

Mike
Sorry I meant front jab off the hip while stepping back

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
mx49c said:
I am learning this tech, but need some advice. The lifting forearm strike, is done with the outside of forear almost like I am extending a block toward the attacker & finishing in a diagonal straight arm? Anyone have an innovative way of explaining incrementally how this is executing would be helpful.[/qoute]
mx49c said:
I execute this strike similar to Lone Kimono. It is like a upward diagonal block, rotating the forearm to finish with the bottom of the forearm.

mx49c said:
the other question is after checking downward & diagonally across the attackers mid section (after the straight arm in paragraph above), what are we checking? its not a strike, its not a block... what is this?[/qoute]
mx49c said:
I do this as a hard diagonal inverted hammerfist/frictional pull (hammerfist ends up palm facing up so as to get a snap from the handsword strike). I have experimented with pinning the hands for a split second longer to add some resistance to the downward diagonal strike, causing pain/possible damage.

Also, if you are considering the initial grab to be a a hard pushback, I will sometimes pin the hands and step back without the forearm strike. As soon as I am rooted, i then take my left step adjustment and execute the forearm strike. It helps pull the attacker off balance and makes continued push or pull very difficult. I know all this varies from the original technique, but it works for me.

This is for Lone Kimono, but the principles can be easy adapted to this discussion:

http://www.ltatum.com/movies/Week6/TipOfTheWeekMedW6.html

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Ask 10 instructors; get 10 different answers. How does YOUR instructor want you to do it?

The "what" can be communicated in this media. The "How" must be shown in person. Do what you can to find a live instructor to walk you though these maneuvers and techniques.

Good luck,

Dave

Very true!!!!

Latest Discussions