Tuite in kata

truth_seeker87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I must disagree. Learning about kata from books may add several aspects of the form that you have not pondered, or your teacher has not emphasized. Not that your teacher is inadequate...but as a teacher myself, we sometimes only touch lightly on the things that we think of as "common sense" type of things, having done them for so long, and we forget to teach them. Books can help fill in gaps, and provide interesting banter with your instructor which WILL yield awesome gains in learning, and from there, what you call "real training".

Perhaps I should rephrase by saying 'Don't learn Kata and Bunkia specifically from books'

I think that looking at Kata in books is a good thing, in fact I loved Shoshin Nagamine's 'The Essense of Okinawan Karate-do" and seeing the differences between kata and such. I think even getting ideas from reading such works is a good thing.

I would agree that it does help a studnet talk to ones teachers and give them a more educated approach at discussion, rather then 'that thing you were talking about that time' Even getting ideas of how to approach ones Katas is good, because you might get a feeling for what works and what doesn't. There I would agree with you.

Where I draw the line however is when people specifically look for books to learn Katan ad Bunkai (not saying your implying this) You might be able to pick the idea of how a kata works or what the movements are, but to learn Kata or even how a simple technique works you need real live instruction. That is purely my opinion.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering if people practiced tuite in the bunkai to their katas?

hay just heard that one of the local Aikido sensei's said " a karate trained man will strike with you and be very liner in his attackes and defence"

I think at least from what my system teaches that i will be circuler and liner in techniques and movement, and I will strike, graple, lock and throw to get the job done. but I do wonder how meany sensei's in karate teach the grapleing and circuler movement and techniques and locks and throws as well as strikes? perhaps my dojo is not as comon as I would hope in its training.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
This guy probably still thinks that Shorin-ryu is a "hard" style. :barf:
could be.. I know he has a brown belt in a style of karate.. my suspician is that it is in one of the harder japanese styles.. perhaps shotokan or similer...

Latest Discussions