Tuf

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is anybody watching? Andy made a big mistake when he fought Brandon. Andy should have taken him down like BJ was screaming at him to do. He even admitted that he was 'stubborn' and got into trying to knock him out. He just kept throwing that wide, looping right hand, haymaker and that was all that was in his head.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

Stillelman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Made no sense to me why someone would deliberatly go against what they are good at (in this case Andy's BJJ). If you are not even going to use your strengths in a fight, why fight, because obviously his skill is not as good with the stand up.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Andy absolutely made no sence in how he approached and executed in that fight. To ignore your coach and just try and slug it out with a better striker and not go to the ground where you have some skill was not to bright. Probably lost him his MMA career because who would want to coach him now?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's become far too much of "Big Brother" but with a fight at then end for my tastes.

I've been fastforwarding through pretty much the whole thing and watching the fight at then end.

Andy definately needs to work on listening to his coach and working strategy. There is no reason for him to have been trying to stand and punch.

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just a note on the Marlon Sims segment. This is both pure Marlon being Marlon, and TV hyping any story and blowing it out of proportion. The whole “Amp Mobil Question” was not only contradictory, but ridiculous TV ratings hype at it’s worst.

It really drives me nuts when so many armchair quarterbacks and haters come out of the woods and talk about something or someone they really don't know.

Marlon and I discussed this many times before going on the show. Of course we wanted a shot at it, and the biggest plus is also the biggest drawback: LOTS of exposure. On the good side, people who know and appreciate will enjoy it. On the negative side are those constant haters and ignorant people.

Now, I know he may have sounded like he was telling a wild story, and I'm sure I know how it came out, but the fact of the matter is that it is absolutely TRUE. I actually remember that incident (and many others). As someone who was one of his coaches and training partners, manager, and longtime friend, I can honestly say, I know him and have been there many times with him. I have seen him in action both in and out of the ring. This is a BAD MF.

He is by no means perfect, and those that know him, love his brashness. He can be that way because he can back it up. He is also a great person, training partner, loving dad, THE MOST loyal friend, honest and cool guys you would ever meet. And as I said, this is someone you want on your side in a scrap. He is an awesome, well rounded, world class champion fighter, and a true warrior in the purest sense of the word.

I hope Spike gives him a chance to show his better sides. Everyone from here in San Francisco and the Bay Area (and all FMS worldwide) know who Marlon really is. We got your back MARS. Do your thang. We'll always be in your corner.

Farang forever!

With brotherhood,
Grand Master De Alba

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this the same guy who was talking about beating up multiple attackers and having over 300 street fights?

Someone brought this guy up to me, as I have had a few multiple attacker situations in the past.

I told them remember the stories I tell, "Well after the guy hit me so hard my eye crossed and I had to close it to see stright." Or "Well all of went through the plate glass window I was lucky and kept rolling and avoided most of the bouncing glass." They laughed and said yes there were differences. I said yes, I got hit and beat up and hurt. ;) I considered I won those fights as I was able to walk afterwards and was alive to heal. I also considered luck and or strength, not skill.

I also did not and do not consider myself to be that tough of a guy. Just someone who made choices and ended up wrong places, and occasionaly got hit/kicked/beat for it.

That said, I know I would last about 30 seconds in the ring with those guys as I am not in the right shape for it and not training for such an event. They deserve the respect for that, but once again when you compare against others doing the same it seems to loose something. To me even the worse on the show are good. Now as for personality and egos, I will not speak. ;)

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just a note on the Marlon Sims segment. This is both pure Marlon being Marlon, and TV hyping any story and blowing it out of proportion. The whole “Amp Mobil Question” was not only contradictory, but ridiculous TV ratings hype at it’s worst.

It really drives me nuts when so many armchair quarterbacks and haters come out of the woods and talk about something or someone they really don't know.

Marlon and I discussed this many times before going on the show. Of course we wanted a shot at it, and the biggest plus is also the biggest drawback: LOTS of exposure. On the good side, people who know and appreciate will enjoy it. On the negative side are those constant haters and ignorant people.

Now, I know he may have sounded like he was telling a wild story, and I'm sure I know how it came out, but the fact of the matter is that it is absolutely TRUE. I actually remember that incident (and many others). As someone who was one of his coaches and training partners, manager, and longtime friend, I can honestly say, I know him and have been there many times with him. I have seen him in action both in and out of the ring. This is a BAD MF.

He is by no means perfect, and those that know him, love his brashness. He can be that way because he can back it up. He is also a great person, training partner, loving dad, THE MOST loyal friend, honest and cool guys you would ever meet. And as I said, this is someone you want on your side in a scrap. He is an awesome, well rounded, world class champion fighter, and a true warrior in the purest sense of the word.

I hope Spike gives him a chance to show his better sides. Everyone from here in San Francisco and the Bay Area (and all FMS worldwide) know who Marlon really is. We got your back MARS. Do your thang. We'll always be in your corner.

Farang forever!

With brotherhood,
Grand Master De Alba

I must have missed this part...I'm lost.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's become far too much of "Big Brother" but with a fight at then end for my tastes.

I've been fastforwarding through pretty much the whole thing and watching the fight at then end.

Yep.

It USED to be interesting to watch to see how they were training, preparing for the fight — and those challenges they used to do!

I particularly liked the one where they had a small team member get piggy back on a bigger team member and then see how many "laps" around they could do without touching the ground.

Joe Stevenson did, what, 200?

But now, ya — it's just like an episode of Big Brother but without any hot chicks. Sigh+yawn.

Stillelman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am sure it was hyped up to make the show, but it did appear the house was very tired of his bragging. Who is to say this was an isolated instance, becuase he sure was being very bosterous on the whole thing. I am not disputting he is a baddass, because time will tell.

However, saying that, if multiple attackers happened or not, because I really don't care. Most of the people I think are tough MF do not have to tell you constantly, they show you and go on like they been there before.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I am correct he was bragging about street fights and beating up lots of multiple attackers. It did not go over well within the house or on TV.

I did see that bit but i thought it was a bit of a random post considering everyone was discussing the wang fight.

On a whole that guy that was bragging was an idoit, even if he did do half the things he did bragin about beating up non-fighters in the street, to actual fighters is not really going to be registered as an accomplishment.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last night's episode was sad do to the fact that there was no fight as Gabe did not make weight and was booted off the show by Dana. (definately ruined his career)

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think Gabe wanted to be a TV Star, but, it looked like he didn't want to be a UFC fighter. I don't think that he was committed to training and making the sacrifices necessary.

To me, the sad thing is that Gabe took a spot on the show that other guys would have given their left arm for. I gotta believe there were others who would have sacrificed and wanted to train and fight, that were denied that opportunity because Gabe was chosen to be on the show.

I think that Dana did the right thing by asking him to leave.

Just my opinion.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe looked pretty formidable last night. Nate is pretty tough as well but there might be one or two other guy's in the mix as well.

Boomer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I gotta say that I was sure...I mean positively absolutely sure that Cory lost that fight. After all his smack talking in the house, he didn't really show me anything in the ring. He got saved by the bell there at the end of rd 2 when that heel hook was stitched in. And I know he was hurting in rd 3...those short punch combos and leg kicks were killing him.

Stillelman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I gotta say that I was sure...I mean positively absolutely sure that Cory lost that fight. After all his smack talking in the house, he didn't really show me anything in the ring. He got saved by the bell there at the end of rd 2 when that heel hook was stitched in. And I know he was hurting in rd 3...those short punch combos and leg kicks were killing him.

I agree, but for his first fight Emerson should have given him a beat down. Cory didn't impress me, but neither did Emerson.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I watched that fight and i must say i was confused as to what emerson was thinking, he said himself that he only got hit with a jab and it wasnt hurting, so why in gods name was he staying on the outside the whole time?!? it frustrated the hell out of me.

although to be honest what Cory did to win the fight is beyond me.

Latest Discussions