true?

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
In PTI and under Tuhon Gaje there are some horizontal strikes as well as vertical strikes out of the #1 angle quadrant in the contradas, re-contras, alphabito, and numerado.

Agreed. But if Tuhon McGrath is working with you at a seminar and asks you for demo purposes to give him a number 1, you are going to feed him the same angle I would, correct? Also, am I correct on the manner in which you interpret abecedario?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The abecedario...yes.

To the #1 strike...
If I knew what was being covered in the seminar and what the material he was demoing at the time I'd probably know what attack feed he was wanting and it could well be a diagonal or horizontal strike. In my experience he usually will say what kind of feed he is wanting to demo against.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Everybody numbers the angles differently. And really there aren't five, ...or a dozen, ...or even 360 (as in degrees around a circle). There are an infinite number of angles. So at a mixed style FMA gathering, I always just say, "feed me something like this" and demo what I want. I appreciate that when others do the same for me. Heck I have a hard enough time keeping left and right straight! :confused:

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
The abecedario...yes.

To the #1 strike...
If I knew what was being covered in the seminar and what the material he was demoing at the time I'd probably know what attack feed he was wanting and it could well be a diagonal or horizontal strike. In my experience he usually will say what kind of feed he is wanting to demo against.

Interesting. The PTI instructor I trained with several years back taught I a number one the same way we do it in PTKGO. If he wanted a horizontal, he simply said horizontal. He had some Inosanto background a well, so perhaps that influenced him.

Thanks

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. The PTI instructor I trained with several years back taught I a number one the same way we do it in PTKGO. If he wanted a horizontal, he simply said horizontal. He had some Inosanto background a well, so perhaps that influenced him.

Thanks
PTI, as one advances, tends to use a stick a bit differently than an edged weapon. Blunt object damage vs edged weapon damage is not the same.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I train within an Inosanto lineage school. I am still a beginner really. But FMA seems such a huge system - like saying Kung Fu. My impression is that the stick and knife portions of FMA are a big part - but just one part of FMA. We do show how weapons transitions into empty hands fighting.

I have been exposed (but not not alot) to Panantukan, and silat under FMA and think these are really amazing open hands systems - but feel they simply are not taught that much in favor of weapons.

Latest Discussions