Trouble parents

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to take issue with any specific person here, but this is awfully one sided. I don't see any parent stepping up, so I will.

For the record, I am both a long time practitioner and the parent of 2 girls who are red and brown belts in goju-ryu karate. We have a great dojo. Not counting all the extras, I pay in over 2k a year to the dojo, and I've been doing that for over 4 years. To me, that makes me a "respected long term customer", not a "trouble parent" when I have a concern. I deserve better treatment than the drunken bum who weaves in and throws up in the doorway.

One way to avoid "trouble parents" is to walk the walk yourselves. We were at a dojo where questionable contracts were to be required - - -"NO EXCEPTIONS" - - - only to have me walk in when the sensei was taking a cash payment from somebody else. Both of us quit.

I was at a tournament where 2 judges were openly coaching my daughter's opponent on the floor before the match - she came from their school. My daughter won the trophy anyway, but came off asking," Why did the judges want the other girl to win?" Did they hear from me? You bet! "Trouble parent"??? No, corrupt promoter and judges!

The ultimate authority over my kids' health and safety is me. Get used to that. I have pulled my kids off the floor when I saw them hurt. Call me a "trouble parent", but there's no sense turning a minor injury into a major one by not getting it prompt and proper care and rest.

If you're going to have contact sparring, then ref it right. If you think any good dad is going to sit there and watch their child be injured by fouls delivered by thugs, then you do not know "good parenting" from "trouble parenting". You are supposed to protect those kids - but if you clearly can't be bothered to, don't expect a good and caring father to just sit by. The last time it happened, though, I didn't need to intervene. After 3 blatant fouls, my daughter knocked the offender out.

So folks, before you put it all on the parents - who pay your salary - I'd say make sure your own houses are in order.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK Here is the problem again so we are all clear on this, it is bolded by the way.
jks the assistance instructor would be Boricuatkd my wife, the main problem is walking on the floor to make sure her child is alright after every drill is done. When she is ask to please stop she goes over and start yelling at other parents about how unfair this is and this place is ****** and Yolanda is a dumbass, you know typicla behavior problems for a 6 year old not someone in her thirtys. We have video camera's up and she knows this, so it does not matter to her. Maybe she just does not like my wife who knows but the diosruptions are too frequent when I am gone for ant reason.

grydth let me assure you we have no contracts do not believe in them and I understand your views as a parent, I am one myself, but when a parent steps onto the mat every single day bitching and mourning about every single kick punch sit up or line drills, you have to put your foot down as a school owner. The girl has never been hurt thank god but mom is just a *****, sorry to say. She believe her daughter can tell us when she will run walk kick and punch and if you are in a school that is not how it works. The instructor has the right to make lesson plans for every single student remember you came here to get instruction not the other way around.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry, no fair observer could fault you in the specific instance. There are some people one cannot do business with.... at least without being driven crazy. This woman was one.

But I sensed as the thread grew, there was a parental beat down in progress. There are sometimes widely different views from either side of the visitors area.

I think school proprietors are best served by ejecting nutty and unreasonable people.... and also by keeping their own conduct beyond reproach. That includes respecting the views and inquiries of those who pay them quite substantial sums of money. Martial arts school proprietors, as with every other successful business, should respect the consumer and the student.... I know you do.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, no fair observer could fault you in the specific instance. There are some people one cannot do business with.... at least without being driven crazy. This woman was one.

But I sensed as the thread grew, there was a parental beat down in progress. There are sometimes widely different views from either side of the visitors area.

I think school proprietors are best served by ejecting nutty and unreasonable people.... and also by keeping their own conduct beyond reproach. That includes respecting the views and inquiries of those who pay them quite substantial sums of money. Martial arts school proprietors, as with every other successful business, should respect the consumer and the student.... I know you do.

Thank you sir was just making sure. I would have love to keep the child they had the look of a champion. Hopefully the other school will be better for the mom.

Latest Discussions