Trouble parents

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How and what proceedures does your school have in place with trouble causing parents. Over the years we have had our share like other schools but I wanted to be able to put down in writing what steps can be and will be in use when the stituation arises. Thanks for all your help.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In my current school I have yet to notice a situation with trouble parents. Back when I was studying Kenpo however I recall an incident where a mom started going off just outside the doors at someone else's kid over what turned out to be a misunderstanding anyway. Before anybody else could react the assistant instructor was out there in a flash and got between them to diffuse the situation and protect the kid. The mom who had been yelling backed off and went inside after yelling a parting shot at the kid's mom.

The next day after classes our sensei had a private chat with the yelling parent and basically told her that her daughter was welcome anytime at the dojo but that the mom could not be the one to bring her. Later it was found out that that mom got very upset and threatened to beat up sensei! ...But obviously didn't. That was the last anybody at our school saw or heard from that family. A shame, because the little girl had been doing very well and getting along with everybody.

That "trouble mom" in particular had been a problem in other ways before the yelling incident; she had a tendency to be a nasty gossip and was generally very negative. I suspected mental problems personally.

After thinking about how sensei handled it, I think he had been very wise in making it clear that it was that specific mom's behavior and not her child's that was being addressed, therefore it was only the mom who was "banished". I saw the dad come very often to practices, so in theory he could have been the parent to bring his daughter instead, but apparently it was too much of an ego blow for the mom to accept those terms, or perhaps she cooled down later and couldn't bring herself face anybody there in light of her own bad behavior. So, sensei lost that family's business over it, but honestly, if he hadn't banished that mom, he would have lost mine not long after, and possibly others'. IMO he was correct to weed out the bad apple from the barrel so to speak.

I don't believe any of this was prescribed in writing, just the good instincts of how to handle situations on a case by case basis. Kind of like reacting to one's sparring partner who moves without warning; you have to have a good head to keep your balance and still keep adapting to the changing situation.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends upon the seriousness of the trouble. If it is minor, then any instructor can politely let them know what the problem is and what our expectations are. If the problem continues or worsens, then I speak with them and the next step after that would be I "ask" them to check out other schools if the problem is bad enough.
If it's more serious right from the start, I will handle it from the start. Few problems get that far because it gets generally known that I am the last stop before showing them the door. :) Most problems are resolved but on a few occaisions I have recomended they find another school, for example if they get abusive toward any of my staff.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i have seen sometimes at tournaments parents get pissed and then next event comes up there kid is wearing a different schools uniform well is it worth having a bad apple in the group? but do you realy want to lose a good kid due to a angry parent ? thats the double edge sword

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What sort of "trouble parents?" Are we talking someone who always brings their kid to class 5 minutes late or picks them up late -- or someone who walks onto the training floor, and begins berating either their kid or another kid over some perceived failing? Someone who just doesn't seem to support their kid, bringing 'em but not really caring about their kid's activities or supporting the school's events like tournaments? Or, worst, someone whom you think or even see literally abusing their kid?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have one that just start crap everytime she is in the school with other parents and my other instructor. When I am there not much but when I am gone she turns into the monster from hell.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have one that just start crap everytime she is in the school with other parents and my other instructor. When I am there not much but when I am gone she turns into the monster from hell.
I'm not a school owner of course, but I can tell you this, Terry. The news gets around and it can cause students to be on edge. You might need to sacrifice the one student. I guarantee you that your students are upset that one of their instructors is being disrespected. It will cause a dark cloud to hang over the dojang.

I can speak from experience. You might remember I made a post about a woman who cursed out the instructor, including giving him the middle finger, when her son didn't pass. All the students who witnessed the event were very upset, mainly because one of our instructors had been direspected.

Fortunately, the mother who was a green belt, and unfortunately, her son, were both expelled. But it was a huge relief to the student body.

Announcements were made to classes the next week to explain exactly what happened. That was brilliant. It stopped gossip, etc.

I wouldn't put up with it. Your students and their parents don't deserve it Your instructors don't deserve it. And I know you don't.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Clients like that start to affect other clients and I deal with them quickly before they can cause too much damage. I hate to lose a client but better to lose one than to wait for them to cause trouble with other clients by being negative. The sad thing is that often the student is fine, its the parent that is the trouble and you don't want the student to suffer from the parents bad behavior.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As the two previous posters have stated, Terry, that type of parent is a cancer to the student body. My first school was rife with parents (all mothers ironically) that enjoyed the gossip and drama from the sidelines. It got to a point that very few people that started training there ever continued for very long. This affected both the junior and adult ranks. Eventually, the crap got so deep that even though I was tagged for testing to brown that I left. I just couldn't get myself to go train with all that drama. It didn't help any that the head instructor was as much addicted to the drama as the parents on the sidelines. :( Deal with this woman quickly. If that means losing a single student then so be it. It's better than losing most of your students. Give her a warning that her behavior will not be tolerated. If she continues boot her. You still have the right to refuse service to anyone you choose.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everybody that is what I thought I should do, feel sorry for the teenager but the mom is a cancer.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone says here.
Another idea (for the future) is to post some sort of "visitor expectations". We are working on a set currently at my school. Basically some nice little explanation that "So that our students can have a beneficial and enjoyable training session we ask that all visitors please follow these guidelines. If a visitor's behavior becomes distributive we will ask the visitor to leave. The safety, well-being, and class-enjoyment of our students is our top priority." (Or something like that). And then we have things such as: turn cell phones to silent. keep visiting quiet. no coaching from the sidelines (keep all comments positive). etc.
We don't have it finished yet, but I think it will really help. We don't have any problems like you do right now, but hopefully this will nip such things in the bud.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Terry,
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand what she's doing. It's clear that she's disrupting the classes, and the harmony of the school. It's not clear what she's doing... and she's apparently not doing it when you're there. Is it possible that she's not really the problem -- but that your assistant instructors are somehow not carrying your authority over? (I realize I'm playing devil's advocate here...) Or doing things so different that it's got her convinced their wrong?

But, once you've ruled out failings on your side -- I agree. At a minimum -- she can't be in the school during classes without your express permission. You're a private business, on private property, as I recall, so you can control who's there. If you're in a community center or the Y or something like that, it may be harder. You'll need to get the support of the facility. And if that's not enough, you'll have to lose the student.

I would suggest that, for the future, you do write up some sort of "code of parent conduct" just like some of the youth sports leagues have had to do. It'll make it clear what's expected up front, and it'll probably get you more support from other parents.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jks the assistance instructor would be Boricuatkd my wife, the main problem is walking on the floor to make sure her child is alright after every drill is done. When she is ask to please stop she goes over and start yelling at other parents about how unfair this is and this place is ****** and Yolanda is a dumbass, you know typicla behavior problems for a 6 year old not someone in her thirtys. We have video camera's up and she knows this, so it does not matter to her. Maybe she just does not like my wife who knows but the diosruptions are too frequent when I am gone for ant reason.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am jumping ahead and just posting this with out reading the rest of the thread first.
Parents who interfere with the workout of the students will be asked to leave the school for the remainder of the class. Continued interference will result from the parent not being allowed to view the class and/or the expulsion of the student from the school.
Parents who step onto the floor unasked will be asked to leave
Parents who have questions on what is done in class or why something is done should address the instructor before or after the class in a dignified and respectful manner
ANY parent heard encouraging there child to injure another student will be asked to leave and not come back.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jks the assistance instructor would be Boricuatkd my wife, the main problem is walking on the floor to make sure her child is alright after every drill is done. When she is ask to please stop she goes over and start yelling at other parents about how unfair this is and this place is ****** and Yolanda is a dumbass, you know typicla behavior problems for a 6 year old not someone in her thirtys. We have video camera's up and she knows this, so it does not matter to her. Maybe she just does not like my wife who knows but the diosruptions are too frequent when I am gone for ant reason.
Thanks for the clarification.

I think it's easy, now. Next time she walks on the floor, she is "given an invitation to the world." It's explained to her that if it happens again, she won't be permitted in the school during her child's classes because she's disrupting not only her child's training - but everyone else's, too. Might be a good idea to explain this publicly in front of the other parents. (Object lesson... and you just might get them to help with her.)

Another thing I might consider is that, as long as anyone not an invited guest to the training floor or a student/instructor is on the floor, training stops. All the students sit down, in ranks, and you wait. Tell the person and the class that you'd love to get back to training... when the floor is safe and the intruder is in the observation area. Again -- this might recruit the other parents and the student himself in keeping mom where she belongs.

(I suspect she feels she can get away with it with your wife -- but not you. It's possible that differences in personality or teaching style let this woman think it was OK... or simply that she'll obey you, but not your wife, either because she's a woman or because she's simply "an assistant". A buddy of mine got a big laugh out of a situation like that once when he was training a rookie. He has "FIELD TRAINING OFFICER" on his nameplate, since he is an FTO. He was with a very new rookie, and the complainant insisted on speaking to the rook, because they weren't in training!)

jumpin_12

White Belt
Reaction score
Just put down your rules in the actual contract they sign for classes and you are all set. Any chronic problems with parents is in fact cancer. Cut it off immediately and dont let it spread. You'll spend 90% of your time dealing with the problematic ones that will never be happy anyway, meanwhile neglecting the entire rest of your school of GOOD students and parents. Focus on the positive students, get rid of problems. Obviously the severity of the problem makes a difference. I dont tolerate people yelling at me or my staff, thats the quickest way to get booted, haha.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Master Terry,

Were you able to resolve this conflict? Best wishes to you.

Lynne

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone says here.
Another idea (for the future) is to post some sort of "visitor expectations". We are working on a set currently at my school. Basically some nice little explanation that "So that our students can have a beneficial and enjoyable training session we ask that all visitors please follow these guidelines. If a visitor's behavior becomes distributive we will ask the visitor to leave. The safety, well-being, and class-enjoyment of our students is our top priority." (Or something like that). And then we have things such as: turn cell phones to silent. keep visiting quiet. no coaching from the sidelines (keep all comments positive). etc.
We don't have it finished yet, but I think it will really help. We don't have any problems like you do right now, but hopefully this will nip such things in the bud.

I like the idea of using "vistor". That will cover anyone who shows up. Go thought!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Master Terry,

Were you able to resolve this conflict? Best wishes to you.

Lynne

Yes Lynne we came to a great understanding they went to another school, it was best for both of us. I even set up the meeting with the other instructor so there was no hard feelings.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes Lynne we came to a great understanding they went to another school, it was best for both of us. I even set up the meeting with the other instructor so there was no hard feelings.
Good for you! What a relief, I'm sure.

Latest Discussions