Triceps

J

Jill666

Now that is a very interesting point- I would not have thought of that, being lean. But joint safety is truly paramount.

I have just moved up on my bench and maybe I will also try leaning forward a bit on alt. sets. :D

W

Wmarden

Truth is dips are ok if you watch your range of motion and don't go too deep. How deep that is varies for each person, but your shoulders will let you know when you go too far.

As for why big people don't do them, it is damn hard work. I am at a little over 240 right now. And let me tell you dips are a challenge because of my weakness and laziness the past couple of years. Back when I was in good shape I would do them from time to time. Often if my back was acting up I would do them in place of bench. But first I would warmup my shoulders by doing benches with the bar for a couple of sets of 20-30 reps.

That brings up another problem, some people don't warmup properly for them. If you look at dips, they are very similar to bodyweight benches. And most people would warmup for those, at least most of us north of 135 pounds anyway. Point being dips are a good exercise, but you just can't jump right into them and expect everything to be ok right away.

Oh BTW, most of the above applies to parallel bar dips. Not a big fan of bench dips because I almost never have a workout partner. So certain things I do not do.

Latest Discussions