Translation please?

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
On the edge of the top of the GI right above the manufactures lable are two characters in Japanese. I assume. Can anyone tell me what this says in English? Thanks.

JUst figured out how to post picture!! Cool.

Attachments

• japanese.jpg
    japanese.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 13

EJC

White Belt
Reaction score
On the edge of the top of the GI right above the manufactures lable are two characters in Japanese. I assume. Can anyone tell me what this says in English? Thanks.

JUst figured out how to post picture!! Cool.
I put it through Google Translate (take the result with a HUGE!!!! boulder of salt) and got: 武者 = warrior.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I put it through Google Translate (take the result with a HUGE!!!! boulder of salt) and got: 武者 = warrior.

I looked at the kanji for "warrior" and it does match up.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It says ‘ Musha’ which means ‘martial person’ or ‘warrior’.

Meaning of 武者 (むしゃ) in Japanese

Reading and JLPT level
武者

Kana Reading
むしゃ

Romaji
musha

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I posted it on a Japanese language site. Yhey told me they generally dont do "Translations" but it does translate as "Musha." but did not tell me what that meant. But, Warrior makes sense as it was on a GI top. Thanks.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly, it's not a great phrase... the more common translation wouldn't be "musha" (武者), and that more means "military person", but "bushi" (武士). You'll note that the first kanji is the same ("bu/mu"), meaning "military/martial", but the second is changed from "sha" (person/thing/object) to "shi" (knight/scholar/gentlemanly person). This term (bushi) is more literally warrior, and is a synonym for samurai 侍, which you'll note has the "shi" character incorporated in the upper right side. Musha would more likely be used to refer to non-samurai peasant conscripts on a battlefield, somewhere around the ashigaru concept, hence below what would be referred to as a warrior (professionally).

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The second kanji is in my name 百武 Hyakutake. A name given by the Lord Ryuzoji of Saga domain it reads as 100 bamboo or as strong as one hundred warriors! Then of course there is onyomi and kunyomi. So we go to China and the hotel check in clerk is having a good laugh. He has translated it as Mu (nothingness) So it looks like the name means "You are nothing"!

Latest Discussions