Training w/Ed Parker pre 70's

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtsGuy
Doc

It seems like we see eye to eye on many things. The only thing that burns me up is that I had to figure alot of this out for myself. I spent alot of time in confusion and doubt and also found myself second guessing various things. This was frustrating considering my personal safety could depend on this stuff.

My teacher likes us to think, so he hints at things in an attempt to jump start our brains. "Mr. PAarker wanted us to think", he says all the time. I finally told him how I thought the system works and he told me that I was on target. Now I can analyze what he teaches us and I know it's good stuff.

Well the last few months have been some of my most peacefull in the martial arts. I feel confident that many things are now clear to me. The gift you sent me a while ago helped alot too. I want to thank you for your help over time.

But dont think my endless line of questioning is over.

"No good deed goes unpunished." ;)
I'm glad I could help. "Knowledge has no value until it is shared." - Ed Parker

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
Thank you that. My problem is not with Ed Parker's work, but with many of those who would interpret it, screw it up, than talk about what Kenpo is missing. A very arrogant statement which presumes thay know all that Ed Parker ever knew and taught. I would feel better if they simply alluded to the Kenpo "THEY" were taught by THEIR teacher. It is so much easier to blame the art rather than yourself and/or your "teacher(s)," or even me for "putting them down." There isn't anything anyone can tell my students that would make them feel bad about what they are doing.
Doc,
First of all I would like to apologize for my negative comments on that other forum you mentioned. The fact is; however, that you think and do different things from the "other" kenpoists. They and I believe in what we are doing (not that my way resembles theirs)and when we are told what the differences are... well the fact is we don't believe in it. We focus on almost children only and you focus on experienced adults. Right there we arent even talking about the same art anymore. Someone just posted you arent even a business (which I would then wonder how you pay your bills) but I think that was an exageration. I did post that I had learned all I needed to know but was led into defending that statement. At that point I crossed the line and am sorry.
Sean

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death

First of all I would like to apologize for my negative comments on that other forum you mentioned. The fact is; however, that you think and do different things from the "other" kenpoists.

Thank you Sean, I appreciate that, but to be honest I haven’t seen any negative comments from you. I rarely visit and never post on “that other forum,” and only hear about it if someone e-mails me, but no matter, thanks for your honesty.

They and I believe in what we are doing (not that my way resembles theirs) and when we are told what the differences are... well the fact is we don't believe in it.

Fair enough. I know what Parker said about that, and it’s OK. You should believe in what your doing and I would be disappointed if you didn’t. Besides you come from a very intelligent lineage, and Skip is as intelligent as they come. One of the great Kenpo “thinkers.” (Not a typo :) ) He and I communicate occasionally like most of the “seniors” do. I remember when he started and Parker appreciated his intelligence and made a point to get us together. In fact Parker took us both to Hawaii on vacation so we could "hang out" and exchange information. That was fun.

We focus on almost children only and you focus on experienced adults. Right there we arent even talking about the same art anymore.

Yes you’re right. Children present a unique challenge to teaching in any educational model. I’ve had that enjoyable experience but purposely left it many, many years ago.

Someone just posted you arent even a business (which I would then wonder how you pay your bills) but I think that was an exageration.

Actually we do not operate as a “business” in the sense we are modeled after a non-profit educational institution Ed Parker himself envisioned for me. The integrity of the teaching curriculum comes first at all times, no exceptions. But most of my students are doctors, lawyers, police, federal agents, teachers and post graduate students, so I am very fortunate to have a core of professional students over the years whose tuition support general operations. But my history has always been non-commercial instruction. Except for a 2-year period I inherited, you could only find the school by word of mouth or in a college catalog.

I began working and teaching for Youth Services for the school district when I was in high school, and slowly moved my program from elementary, to high school, and finally teaching college credit courses in the seventies, under the watchful eye of Ed Parker. He always visited, and taught regularly in all my programs, and occasional did demos and lectures at the colleges where I taught. I do indeed have a unique educational perspective and choose to not make Kenpo a significant source of income.

This allows me to not advertise, nor accept students “off the street.” The admission process requires high character, educational, and intellectual standards that I have the luxury to be able to rigorously enforce. Everyone who works and/or teaches is professionally employed elsewhere, and receive no salary while they continue to pay tuition themselves. That is the value they have placed on the education they receive in our curriculum.

I did post that I had learned all I needed to know but was led into defending that statement. At that point I crossed the line and am sorry.

Sean

Hey Sean, don’t sweat the small stuff, but I do appreciate your candor. Thanks big time and keep doing the good job I know you’re doing up there with Skip.
:asian:

Latest Discussions