Training sword and bo?

Burnse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Funny about that, I went to uni in Footscray and most of my classes ended after 7pm, caught the train everyday, walked through the dark scary streets to uni and back from the station and never had any trouble in close to 3 years....

Bruno, the trick with the drop bears is to hold a pointy stick over your head and have the tip covered in vegemite. The vegemite acts as a bait and the sharp pointy stick takes care of the rest as they try to drop down to eat your brain. Old bush trick. It really works! ;)

That's because people were running from you instead. Stand in the darker parts of streets and you're invisible until you smile.

Mind you, I haven't had any trouble for about the last two years, but I stick to well-lit crowded areas and usually for short periods of time.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funny about that, I went to uni in Footscray and most of my classes ended after 7pm, caught the train everyday, walked through the dark scary streets to uni and back from the station and never had any trouble in close to 3 years....

Bruno, the trick with the drop bears is to hold a pointy stick over your head and have the tip covered in vegemite. The vegemite acts as a bait and the sharp pointy stick takes care of the rest as they try to drop down to eat your brain. Old bush trick. It really works! ;)

A friend of mine lives down under (Melbourne) he has a 6 foot pythin living in his roof. He says it keeps away other animals and it doesn't bother them so he leaves it alone. Seems like ever single animal over there has a way to kill you. He also has to check his shoes from brownback spiders and other nasties.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine lives down under (Melbourne) he has a 6 foot pythin living in his roof. He says it keeps away other animals and it doesn't bother them so he leaves it alone. Seems like ever single animal over there has a way to kill you. He also has to check his shoes from brownback spiders and other nasties.

Hahahahaha what's your friends' name? I'd love to meet the guy who is comfortable with a 6 foot python slithering around in his roof! I take it you mean Red Back? Brown Back (aka Brown Recluse or Fiddle Back) is generally found in North America...

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, yes I think so. It is the kind that is poisonous and likes to sleep in shoes. How the snake got into the roof is not that much of a mystery. He has a house that I would call 'mansion' in a large plot of land that might as well be called 'jungle'. His house is surrounded by trees, foliage, etc. It is his refuge from civilization. The snake probably just slithered from a tree into his roof.

Since he lives in such a place, there is an abundance of things that would want to take shelter in his roof. He prefers the python since it stays away from humans and keeps away other, more troublesome guests.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately they don't make curtain poles like they used to. A weighty voile panel can be too much, never mind trying to do drills with an opponent who is twirling an ironwood example.

And splinters from innapproriate training weapons should not be underestimated.

But on the other hand, they don't make actual bo staffs like they used to. They were always Taiwanese or Chinese, but they must have cut down all the good trees in the late 80s and early 90s, and everything is wrong about them now, expecially those clunky bokkens where the ridge for the tsuba doesn't go all the way around and the balance is terrible.

If you are going to buy a bo, hanbo and bokken, try to buy one that is neither prohibitively expensive nor cheap mass produced rubbish.

For anyone in the UK, Nine Circles are probably your best bet, I don't know who the equivalents would be in the US or down under.

http://ninecircles.co.uk/

Oho, I see they have a US branch now! Happy shopping!

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, yes I think so. It is the kind that is poisonous and likes to sleep in shoes. How the snake got into the roof is not that much of a mystery. He has a house that I would call 'mansion' in a large plot of land that might as well be called 'jungle'. His house is surrounded by trees, foliage, etc. It is his refuge from civilization. The snake probably just slithered from a tree into his roof.

Since he lives in such a place, there is an abundance of things that would want to take shelter in his roof. He prefers the python since it stays away from humans and keeps away other, more troublesome guests.

Hahaha Bruno! As you said yourself, most of the damn things we have down here try to kill you! Especially the drop bears :p

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually, there is no defined difference between "Kusari Fundo", "Fundo", "Manriki", "Manriki Gusari", and any other variant other than the definitions as supplied by the particular Ryu teaching them. It has nothing to do with the types of weights, length of chain, or even the number of weights or lengths of the chain that make up the weapon.

I'm going to ask as well, though, as I haven't taken you through any Kusari work, or any Shuriken, Bo or otherwise, what are you basing your experiences of them on?

for the kasari fundo and bo shuriken I have a book on the basics called ninja weapons chain and shuriken by charles v. grauzanski. for bo shuriken there are thousands of videos on making and throwing bo shuriken. kasari fundo is a little harder to find information on im planning to buy some dvds on kasari fundo from budovideos website but I kind of went of armed combat and started hand conditioning and training more on taijutsu resently.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know the book. The basis of the kusari-jutsu is Masaki Ryu, as taught by Yumio Nawa. It's a decent book, but frankly, knowing you as I do, I'm going to categorically state that you have absolutely no training in these weapons yet. You have some reasearch/reading in them, but that's it, really. The details of movement just don't come across in these forms, and you need a lot more experience than you currently have to really get that aspect out of them.

Really, my advice is to leave off the DVDs for the moment at least. We'll be covering some basic aspects of Kusari Fundo in December, after that I can take you through a way to approach the weapons for your home study over our break if you wish. But right now, this doesn't quite classify as actual "training" with these weapons, so you know.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hint, Dusk2Dawn...

YOUR TEACHER is saying, in essence, that your enthusiasm is fantastic. But you need to trust your teacher and stop hunting so hard outside; he'll take care of you.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hint, Dusk2Dawn...

YOUR TEACHER is saying, in essence, that your enthusiasm is fantastic. But you need to trust your teacher and stop hunting so hard outside; he'll take care of you.

It's too late, there is a reason why this medium of communications is called the 'net' and the 'web', because once you're caught there's no escape, as we all know!

bwahaha!

Latest Discussions