Training question

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Not sure of name, call it "stick goes around in circle, perpedicular to ground, beside me on right". Also, fan motion abiniko wouldn't hit anybody in front of me unless there is much elbow movement, and even then, wouldn't really hurt much.

Here are some exercises that have helped me because I have very tight wrists.

I. Use a hardwood staff for these exercises (basic reps of 10, one rep is one complete cycle):

Grab the staff in the middle, raise the staff over your head and perform the abanicos slowly and smoothly, concentrating on getting a full range of motion in each direction. Then try it vertically. Do this exercise with both the right and left hands. Maintain a balanced stance. Keep the weapon straight.

Repeat the execise holding two sticks in your hand with moderate speed.

Repeat the exercise with one stick. Start slowly, increase to moderate speed, then increase it to a higher speed. Go as fast as you feel comfortable.

Eventually, you will be able to make the stick whiz and create a big draft. :uhyeah: This drill is also a good self-defense technique with a Totes umbrella.

II. Arko/doblete drills- concentrate on smoothness, then on whipping. Imagine that you are always cutting.
1. Arko to the outside - stick tip stays to the right of your right shoulder.
2. Arko to the inside - stick tip stays to the left of your right shoulder.
3. Hirada - Circle over your head.

III. Grab two stick, holding them out in front of with a medium grip, execute the up and down striking style, making sure that you let the stick carry and stretch your wrist on the down path. The sticks should be kept in front of you and they should not drop below your chest. Imagine that you are a drummer.

Grip considerations:

There are several ways to hold a stick. Your instructor might have a preference, so you might need to check with them.

Here are two options:
1. Hammer grip - wrist control based on technique, weapon, and intent.
- grab the stick with a natural grab.

2. Finger rolled grip - blade/carenza-oriented grip.
- place the stick at your first knuckle bends, then roll the stich with your fingers into a fist.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Well, looks like this could be the end of the line for me, guys.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15659

With the obvious potential for fiscal cutbacks that may be coming, I guess my training may be affected.

Thanks for all your help in here, and on the forums in general.

Flatlander,

I hope that you will be able to weather this situation or something better comes along without a lapse.

Believe me, I understand. I've been there. I have had to train as best as I could under those circumstances.

So please feel free to pm me or contact me at my address info on my website and I will be happy to answer any questions and tell you how I have had to continue to train in those circumstances.

In the meantime, as long as you have access to MT, please continue to post and continue to positive contribute as you already have been.

Best of luck to you,

Harold
www.ncfcskaliusa.com

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Well, looks like this could be the end of the line for me, guys.

End of the line is a bit harsh don't you think? Why not consider it a detour until you get back on the path? Though all the tough times I've had Martial Arts was always something there for me that nobody could take away. I'm sure things will work out for you.

Andy

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
End of the line is a bit harsh don't you think? Why not consider it a detour until you get back on the path? Though all the tough times I've had Martial Arts was always something there for me that nobody could take away. I'm sure things will work out for you.

Andy

Andy,

While I agree , that it is not the end of he line, to someone who is losing or has lost their job for them and their family, it seems very devastating, in particular when it has nothing to do with their performance or actions. It is a form of depression, that sets in. You and Harold are doing great by trying to keep his goals up and give him something to train for and find a way to train.

With respect.

Dan,

First thing, I would do is approach your instructor, and let him know what is going on. tell him you want to train only, you may have issues with money and time. Time being that of part time jobs or new job that interfers with the old training time. I have worked with a few guys who have been on bed times, and allowed them to train and work it off in sweat (* in class and out of class *). Most have done wonderful. I am sure you would as well. I was also in a financial place as well during my divorce, and I was still helping with the rent as one of the teachers. Yet, for a short period of time I was out of paying, I was able to get cauht up later. Depends on your situation is all I am saying. Also, having a place to go work out and sweat was a great thing for me. It was before, during and after, so, do not give up. Talk to your instructor, and if that does not work out then talk to Palusut or myself for questions and home study ideas.

Best wishes
:asian:

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for your good thoughts.

I've slept on it.

Nothing is going to stop me. If I need money to train, I'll deliver papers, I'll sell apples downtown, I'll do what I need to get it done.

The day I allow myself to be off-tracked by a situation is the day I give up.
I don't give up. I will not lose sight of my goals.

Sometimes, a good night's sleep can be good medicine.

Thanks again, guys.

Peace to the brotherhood.:asian:

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Andy,

While I agree , that it is not the end of he line, to someone who is losing or has lost their job for them and their family, it seems very devastating, in particular when it has nothing to do with their performance or actions. It is a form of depression, that sets in. You and Harold are doing great by trying to keep his goals up and give him something to train for and find a way to train.

With respect.

Rich,

Believe me, I know about devistation and depression, although I did not loose my job, in the span of 6 months I had lost my father (due to heart conditions), got divorced, and had to deal with my mothers medical conditions that were complicated (through emotion) by my fathers death. I'm not saying this to say my problem is greater than anybody elses, just to say through it all, Martial Arts helped me cope, and with all these things out of my control, it was good to know that I had Martial Arts.

Andy

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Hey guys, thanks for your good thoughts.

I've slept on it.

Nothing is going to stop me. If I need money to train, I'll deliver papers, I'll sell apples downtown, I'll do what I need to get it done.

The day I allow myself to be off-tracked by a situation is the day I give up.
I don't give up. I will not lose sight of my goals.

Sometimes, a good night's sleep can be good medicine.

Thanks again, guys.

Peace to the brotherhood.:asian:

Dan,

Time is much more important than money. If you can't afford to pay for lessons, spend the time to train on your own. Solo training seems like a lost art. I had a poor college student taking lessons about 2 years ago. He could no longer afford to attend (I told him not to worry about it and just show up, but he didnt feel right about it), just recently he came back and started up again, he finally found a job as a software engineer. Through the whole time he continued to train the basics that he had learned (about 1 years worth) and quite honestly, i was really impressed how strong his foundation was by going it alone. People get so caught up in the quantity of techniques, and don't take the time to make the basics their own. Maybe its an opportunity.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
Rich,

Believe me, I know about devistation and depression, although I did not loose my job, in the span of 6 months I had lost my father (due to heart conditions), got divorced, and had to deal with my mothers medical conditions that were complicated (through emotion) by my fathers death. I'm not saying this to say my problem is greater than anybody elses, just to say through it all, Martial Arts helped me cope, and with all these things out of my control, it was good to know that I had Martial Arts.

Andy

Andy,

Many of us have a piont in our history like this.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Andy,

Many of us have a piont in our history like this.

Rich, I agree, Dan...I didn't mean to make light of your situation, from this short time you've been on MT you've shown the true spirit of someone who follows the Martial Arts for the right reasons, I just didn't believe that you would be one to "give it up" or consider there to be an ending to training regardless of your situation. You definately have a positive outlook on many things and because of that, I definatly feel things will work out.

Andy

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appreciate all of you guys sharing the way that you have. We have all had setbacks in our life but we are still going strong!!!

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Palusut said:
I appreciate all of you guys sharing the way that you have. We have all had setbacks in our life but we are still going strong!!!
Not only going strong, but advancing. Which brings me to my next training question. I've been informed that I'll be testing for an "Intermediate" ranking in Modern Arnis. I know this is the kind of question that maybe would be better posted to a WMAC board - but I haven't found one that I dig like this one (GO MT!). The question is - what should I expect? What types of skills do you all feel an Intermediately ranked MAer should possess? What types of challenges do you all imagine I might face?

Please, I understand that every organization and even every teacher will have differing standards and protocols, I'm down with that. So I will recognize that all offerings here (should I get any....) are not necessarily absolute or applicable to my circumstance, however, it may give me some context for what's coming up. I'm a junior, guys....and a bit nervous. Not VERY nervous, but a little nervous. Thanks in advance for your insights.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I say ask your teacher what to expect
I've tried to do that in a subtle way, but I get responses like "Don't worry, you'll do fine." Or, "You'll find out when we get there." Nothing very clear. But beyond that, part of the point of this was to give me context for where we stand with respect to what everyone else is doing. There's just no other way for me to "check" where I am.