Training question

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
What to expect is really going to depend on your teacher...so I don't have much advice here.

I say ask your teacher what to expect, then overprepare, and you'll be fine!

:ultracool
I agree with Paul 100%!!! Not over over prepare in terms of the material and be fluid with it, make sure you over prepare with the history of the Professor as well.

Relax, have fun, and make the Professor proud that his art is continuing!!!

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Ok, new one.

I just got in from doing some solo conditioning drills with my hickory. I'm getting very frustrated with the fact that my wrists will not do complete circles, and it f%&$#s up my flow.

Is this the kind of thing that's "just going to take some time"? How much time? Its really frustrating. Anything I can do to expedite the process?

Hi Dan,

I have stiff wrists as well. Then I started working on a single stick redonda. Ended up with a "funny" left elbow. I dropped it. I don't twirl much - just enough to impress the lower belts.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Not only going strong, but advancing. Which brings me to my next training question. I've been informed that I'll be testing for an "Intermediate" ranking in Modern Arnis. I know this is the kind of question that maybe would be better posted to a WMAC board - but I haven't found one that I dig like this one (GO MT!). The question is - what should I expect? What types of skills do you all feel an Intermediately ranked MAer should possess? What types of challenges do you all imagine I might face?

Please, I understand that every organization and even every teacher will have differing standards and protocols, I'm down with that. So I will recognize that all offerings here (should I get any....) are not necessarily absolute or applicable to my circumstance, however, it may give me some context for what's coming up. I'm a junior, guys....and a bit nervous. Not VERY nervous, but a little nervous. Thanks in advance for your insights.

Dan,

WMAC = kelly Worden. What does he like? From what I know you should be strong on flowing from one action to another, strong finishing techniques, and a street-ish application of Modern Arnis. Not knowing how you have already been trained I would expect you to have some knowledge of translating from one type of weapon to another some of the basic moves. Also Anyo applications, whether empty hand or weapon based. I might be totally wrong but this is what I think a WMAC exam might consist of. Take the exam and then let me know how close I was or how far off I am.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, you bet SM Dan, I'll definitely post my experience here for posterity.:rofl:

Seriously, I'll let you know how it goes. (If I live to tell about it)

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The test for first level intermediate is complete. I passed. There are 9 levels of rank in our system, 8 being asst. instructor, 9 being full instructor. I have achieved level 4.

The test itself was rather unlike what I expected. 12 angles of attack (left and right side) with solo baston, and blocks to those attacks. The first 3 Anyos solo baston, emptyhand, single dagger, and cane + dagger. One Sibat form, first with sibat, then just with cane. Techniques (right and left) Abinico, rompida, banda y banda, roof block, wing block, umbrella block, punyo, figure 8, reverse figure 8, and double circle strike thing. All techniques done with cane, though clearly translatable to emptyhand and blade.

A couple of things surprised me. First, the test was very basic. We didn't get into any advanced techniques such as disarms, cane locking, or counters. I know a lot of this stuff, so I felt as though the test was a bit beneath my skill level, however, I imagine the decision to test me at this level was more about knowing what I've "got" as opposed to challenging what I think I know.

Secondly, there was no spar. I had expected one, and that was my primary source of apprehension. I guess it was unwarranted.

Nonetheless, the test is complete, and I present myself as the newest ranked member of the MT Modern Arnis Forum.

:cheers:

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
A couple of things surprised me. First, the test was very basic. We didn't get into any advanced techniques such as disarms, cane locking, or counters. I know a lot of this stuff, so I felt as though the test was a bit beneath my skill level, however, I imagine the decision to test me at this level was more about knowing what I've "got" as opposed to challenging what I think I know.

:cheers:

Congrats Dan! Sorry I'm late to comment on this, but i was going to mention that many instructors who give tests or exams already know you know the material from regular classes. Typically your not asked to test if the instructor doesn't feel your ready. The test part is just a formality, and perhaps to see how you perform under the pressure. By being asked to test you already have it. Don't look at it as something you have to earn in one day, you've already eaned it in class. As your rank grows higher, expect the pressure to increase, but its pretty much you do what you know, sometimes instructors love it when you don' get a technique right but work through it, improvise, cheat, whatever to get the task done. But it depends on the teacher, some instructors would hold you back until you perfomed it "the right way" others will will be proud that you are able to make the techniques your own. Not all grading is equal.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not all grading is equal.[/QUOTE said:
An example of this is during one seminar testing a while back, my friend and I both tested. We pretty much had similar technique since we both trained together. We both displayed some techniques that were maybe outside or different from MA (not on purpose, but because it just came out) One MA blackbelt was grading him and one me (if your familiar with seminar testing). i advanced 2 levels and he only advanced 1. I wasn't really any better than my friend, I was just being judged by a different set of standards. After that, I did not test in seminars anymore, and didn't advance my rank until Datu Shishir encouraged me to.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really? That's peculiar. I've never been to a seminar before, and so I'm inexperienced with what types of things go on there.

Thanks everyone for your congrats, etc. It seemed like a bigger deal to me yesterday than it does now. I think the really useful part of testing at all is it gave me an opportunity to really look at what I'm doing, and highlight what types of things I should really be working on or improving.

Cheers, everyone.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Thanks everyone for your congrats, etc. It seemed like a bigger deal to me yesterday than it does now. I think the really useful part of testing at all is it gave me an opportunity to really look at what I'm doing, and highlight what types of things I should really be working on or improving.
:lurk: Just passing through, and I just had to stop to say Dan... I love your perspective!!! Congratulations I bet you did a fine job! :cheers: :partyon: :partyon:

MJ :asian:

Latest Discussions