Training-optimized weapons

RobbyP

White Belt
Reaction score
This thread is for descriptions, discussion and accounts of weaponry which is specifically designed to optimize some sort of training- strength, endurance, balance, precision, inanimate-materials-destruction and sparring with no or minimal bodily damage.

I'll begin with what I train with solo for strength, endurance and precision. A bo-staff made of 3/4" thick iron rebar, cut to a length of my height+my fist-width, filed and sanded smooth. Different foot-work, torso angles and grips are forced to reveal how energy-efficient and stable they are. For precision, I toss leaves into the air and try to hit them, as well as practice stopping the staff midswing on tree-bound leaves. No replies are sought but all are welcome. Cheers, health, love and peace.

OP
R

RobbyP

White Belt
Reaction score
This thread is for descriptions, discussion and accounts of weaponry which is specifically designed to optimize some sort of training- strength, endurance, balance, precision, inanimate-materials-destruction and sparring with no or minimal bodily damage.

I'll begin with what I train with solo for strength, endurance and precision. A bo-staff made of 3/4" thick iron rebar, cut to a length of my height+my fist-width, filed and sanded smooth. Different foot-work, torso angles and grips are forced to reveal how energy-efficient and stable they are. For precision, I toss leaves into the air and try to hit them, as well as practice stopping the staff midswing on tree-bound leaves. No replies are sought but all are welcome. Cheers, health, love and peace.
Addendum- the ribs of the rebar assist with minimal sliding though the thinness adds more challenge to gripping it.

OP
R

RobbyP

White Belt
Reaction score
Addendum- the ribs of the rebar assist with minimal sliding though the thinness adds more challenge to gripping it.
Clarification- by "smooth" in the first post, I meant free of burrs, harsh edges, splinters or spikes. The ribs were left on.

OP
R

RobbyP

White Belt
Reaction score
Clarification- by "smooth" in the first post, I meant free of burrs, harsh edges, splinters or spikes. The ribs were left on.
Spinning it in the air along the axis of the center of its tips reveals how balanced much it wants to fight the hands while wielding. Less wobble means it's more cooperative. To straighten it, turn it to where a bend appears to direct on tip toward the ground, hold it 1/4 of the way along it's length on the opposite end of that tip and drop it into grass, sand, soil or wood chips. Spin again and repeat until satisfied.

OP
R

RobbyP

White Belt
Reaction score
Spinning it in the air along the axis of the center of its tips reveals how balanced much it wants to fight the hands while wielding. Less wobble means it's more cooperative. To straighten it, turn it to where a bend appears to direct on tip toward the ground, hold it 1/4 of the way along it's length on the opposite end of that tip and drop it into grass, sand, soil or wood chips. Spin again and repeat until satisfied.
This is not suited for hitting anything. Though imparting great energy, it literally gets bent out of shape. This staff is a dance and workout partner more than a weapon.

OP
R

RobbyP

White Belt
Reaction score
Clarification- spinning like a log rolling down a hill.

OP
R

RobbyP

White Belt
Reaction score
No paint was ever on this rebar. It could be mildly toxic and would add stickiness to the grip. No thank you.