Training for charity

tberkery

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I had an idea for a fundraiser our dojo could do and wanted to run it by someone for input. I was thinking that many 5ks and obstacle course races raise money for charity causes, cystic fibrosis, diabetes or cancer research, ect. So what about a day where the instructors at the school ran people through very introductory fitness exercises from their respective arts, for example some bag hitting drills or basic leg conditioning exercises, that anyone could do as a martial art inspired fitness challenge. And then charge some money for participation and use that money to go towards a good charity. It would be like the martial arts equivalent of the Tough Mudder, or something like that. It would be a chance to get students to do a few solid hours of important hard training, possibly be a good way to bring in people to the school and introduce them to the arts, as well as raise money for a good cause.

any thoughts, comments, ideas?

Thanks,
Tom

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could work. Mabye a 24 hr spar a thon.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That sounds good! I know a guy who's school does a kick-a-thon fundraiser, where the students get sponsors to pay, like, 5 cents per kick or whatever and they do as many kicks in a row as they can. We take part in a local cancer walk, and for some of our parent's night out events (which we do a few times a year) we give the proceeds to charity.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Our school did "Martial Arts for March of Dimes" a few years back. Each of us had to get pledges for whatever challenge we offered to do.
My brother offered a $200 donation if my then 7 year old could punch me as hard as he could 100 times in the stomach. I posted the challenge to facebook beforehand and got an additional $300+ in pledges. I think my friends and family just enjoyed the thought of me being beat up by my son. So, $5/punch... not a bad fundraiser.
Several in the class got thrown over a couple hour period. One did pushups for a few cents per donor per pushup over an hour. One did 1000 iaido drawing cuts. Others used skills they needed on their next tests (so the practice benefited them as well). One had friends/family come in and pay to punch/kick/throw him.

For the past couple years, we volunteered at several events for at-risk youth to teach them some basic MA skills and help build confidence, through the Cincinnati Reds Rookie Success League program.

Similarly, we've done events for a local groups who house homeless youths, and another that rescues victims of sex trafficking.

There are lots of good opportunities and ways to help your community if you look around. Good luck on your endeavors.

Latest Discussions