Training elbow strikes

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of my favorite "toys" in the dojang are the Thai pads. I like training front/side/roundhouse elbow strikes into them.

Anyone have any favorite drills they use for elbow strikes?

Thanks in advance!

Miles

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I picked up a drill in 1983 called Speed Elbows. A partner holds focus mitts at shoulder height facing inward about shoulder width apart ( simulating a loose clinch ). The first variation was just alternating left & right cross smashing elbows as quickly & tightly as possible. The next variation was like a response drill ( simulating being in a clinch again ) start with the back of each hand touching the mitts in an on guard position, your partner decides when to tap either hand to start a set of combos they choose. For example, they tap my right hand with their left mitt starting my right cross elbow to their right mitt. We would start at single elbows in response, then multiple elbows. The mitt holder could change the rythm & sequence of strikes. Left, right, right, left etc.. It is good to help train Thai clinch (Plum, Prum etc...) work. Fun stuff

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any jammed punch is an elbow strike waiting to happen so I would charge a class to work on depth drills to ensure the effectiveness of your strikes at any depth.
Sean

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like using the heavy hanging bags. Standing at kicking distance or further, I kick in and then land both elbows and punches while escaping with a covering kick.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I practice elbow strikes, and other techniques, first in the air. I just make up impromptu scenarios and respond to imaginary opponents just like forms. I like to practice elbows in one-steps and three-steps with a partner, and in self defense routines where they grab bear hugs, body hugs, and head locks (especially with the hogu and specially designed head protectors).

One of my favorite drills is using the "Bob" bag because it has the torso, and head target, and I can practice close range of all my elbow variations (front, upward, downward, back, side, etc.) with full power. I can practice a kick or hand strike to daze "Bob," then jump forward with a diving front elbow. I also like practicing on rebrakable boards for power and accuracy

CM Eisenhart

Latest Discussions