Training and Lethality of Techniques.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yup, I had a great visit. I knew who you were because Mr. Hartman spoke well of you--I think he introduced us briefly but I didn't get a chance to chat with you. I hope the JKD program thrives as it moves. I enjoyed Mr. Macaluso's teaching at the WMAA camp and had one eye on what was going on over there as I was working out in Mr. Hartman's class (I also study JKD but am a beginner).

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
martial artist forget the benefits of fighting in a competitions.

1. tournament fighters have better reflexes than people who dont compete.
2. tournament fighters usually can take a punch better then the guys who dont take them (if they fight with contact)
3. tournament fighters have superior timing to non-tournament fighters.
4. tournament fighters know more about which one of his techniques will work and how good it works in a fight.
5. tournament fighters will stay more calm, and they are more comfortable than a guy who is not use to fighting strangers.
6. tournament fighters already have counters that strike by themself, instead of having to think.

yes the tournament is not a streetfight, but the only way to "create" a streetfight training is to streetfight. so if you dont do that, the best thing to do to get your timing, pain tolerance and ability to read opponents is to compete and fight as much as you can. this is why a boxing fan or boxing analyzer who works out at home, will never make it in the ring with the worst fighter. he needs to do it to understand what its all about. theory and application are so far away from each other.

for rich's question its hard to answer because i dont train my students for stickfighting the same way most of you guys do. my stickfighters train the same way my empty hands class goes. we warm up, we train our hits, then combinations and evading, we train our counterings, then we spar. and we dont go all the way out all the time. but in my class there is none of the prearranged drilling, and we can still fill up 2 hours will live practice, power shots and speed training. my kuntaw class which is mostly empty hands, is the same way.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by thekuntawman

. . .
for rich's question its hard to answer because i dont train my students for stickfighting the same way most of you guys do. my stickfighters train the same way my empty hands class goes. we warm up, we train our hits, then combinations and evading, we train our counterings, then we spar. and we dont go all the way out all the time. but in my class there is none of the prearranged drilling, and we can still fill up 2 hours will live practice, power shots and speed training. my kuntaw class which is mostly empty hands, is the same way.

Thank you for your reply.

Rich