Training Advice - Back & Shoulder Issues

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Looking for general advice about training with back & shoulder issues. For me specifically, I have scheuermann's kyphosis, a minor slap tear in one shoulder and minor instability in another.

For those of you with similar issues, how do you modify your training? Has it changed which art(s) you practice?

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for general advice about training with back & shoulder issues. For me specifically, I have scheuermann's kyphosis, a minor slap tear in one shoulder and minor instability in another.

For those of you with similar issues, how do you modify your training? Has it changed which art(s) you practice?
I train around the injury. I know my limitations and limit my time accordingly.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Perhaps you could tell us which movements you cannot perform compared to the average person so that we might help.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know the severity varies from person to person, but it is considered a common condition. With time and care, the added mobility from training should help.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
What does your doctor and physical therapist say? Have you had operation(s) to help the situation?
Most any legit MA will eventually require you to move in a more extreme way as you progress. At the school I attend and teach, my instructor is very good at modifying the techniques to fit one’s disability. I would try to find a sympathetic/empathetic school that will allow you to train within the boundaries of your condition and still progress. Too bad you don’t live local to me, our school would be a good fit for you.

OP
D

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ironically, my shoulders/arms are more flexible as a result. I cannot do BJJ or wrestling from the additional pressure placed on my back (when I am on the bottom), but that is about it (other than jumping rolls irritating one shoulder).

No operations and was cleared by PT for sports; given some good strengthening exercises.

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

how long ago was the tear?

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

the tear, if on muscles, heals in a matter of weeks but in tendon, months. id work on improving circulation of that area to decrease any healing time.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the tear, if on muscles, heals in a matter of weeks but in tendon, months. id work on improving circulation of that area to decrease any healing time.
A slap tear is one in the labrum of the shoulder joint, a cup that acts to deepen the somewhat shallow shoulder socket. The labrum is mainly fibrocartilage which is virtually avascular and so improving the circulation to that area will have virtually no effect on the labrum. It will take a long time to heal, but it probably will.

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A slap tear is one in the labrum of the shoulder joint, a cup that acts to deepen the somewhat shallow shoulder socket. The labrum is mainly fibrocartilage which is virtually avascular and so improving the circulation to that area will have virtually no effect on the labrum. It will take a long time to heal, but it probably will.

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
how is the pain level? has anyone introduced you to icing and heating linaments?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Ask a doctor, not nameless faceless people on an marital arts internet forum

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ask a doctor, not nameless faceless people on an marital arts internet forum
doctors and pt are great sources and they have trained for years in their field. same with a martial artist practitioner. asking for opinions and experiences could be brought back to their doctor if wanted. applying unvetted sources is a different thing entirely.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doctors and pt are great sources and they have trained for years in their field. same with a martial artist practitioner. asking for opinions and experiences could be brought back to their doctor if wanted. applying unvetted sources is a different thing entirely.
You know, I lost faith in the half dozen PTs I’ve seen about my shoulder pain. They all gave me the same sort of elastic band/lightweights exercises I’m sure you’re familiar with, which often did nothing at best or in fact made things worse because they just continued to abrade my supraspinatus tendon on the roof of the joint: impingement.

So I went back to basics, looked at joint anatomy and decided I needed to somehow reduce abrading (by posterior tilting of scapular when reaching for objects) to allow it to heal and hanging from a chin bar morning and evening x10 for 30sec each to stretch the acromiocoracoid ligament (which can tighten with age) and remodel the acromium shape to increase the space in the joint. I‘ve altered my sleeping position too. For the first time in 6-7years, I’m almost pain-free.

This is my experience.

OP
D

drewtoby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'll ask my doctor again for sure. I wasn't sure if anything has led to other practitioners changing arts or adopting other practices, such as Qigong or Yoga.

@Gyakuto - I've read about bar hangs and have done them myself. They help me as well :)

As for pain level, mainly minor aches at this time.

callagon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'll ask my doctor again for sure. I wasn't sure if anything has led to other practitioners changing arts or adopting other practices, such as Qigong or Yoga.

@Gyakuto - I've read about bar hangs and have done them myself. They help me as well :)

som qigong practices might exacerbate the tear further if not careful. yang style tai chi still gets range of motion and doesn't use too much sudden movements like chen style. I've seen many practitioners use tai chi to maintain or improve on their foundation while they heal. and even carry on with the style after.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score

Since it sounds like the pain is under control, natural anti-inflammatories such as green tea, turmeric, capsaicin, Omega3 fatty acids, etc... may help as well.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had flu recently I took the maximum dose of ibuprofen regularly (I usually never take it) for the duration of my infection. All my general aches and pains, the things that make you feel old and decrepit, shoulders, patella tendons, lower back etc….everything….disappeared and have only just began reappearing after a week of not taking it! 😂

General inflammation, indeed…

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

a back injury got me out of Japanese Jujutsu and TKD and got me into Taijiquan and qigong. But as I got better I have trained other things as well, mostly CMA style. But I have stuck with taijiquan for many years

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I had flu recently I took the maximum dose of ibuprofen regularly (I usually never take it) for the duration of my infection. All my general aches and pains, the things that make you feel old and decrepit, shoulders, patella tendons, lower back etc….everything….disappeared and have only just began reappearing after a week of not taking it! 😂

General inflammation, indeed…
Yep.
My body is badly broken, and I have taken Diclofenac twice daily for years. But the positive effects have seemed to diminish over time. Either the Arthritis has worsened (likely) or my body/brain is responding to the aches and pains differently.

Latest Discussions