Traditional vs New Age.

hybrid7

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently ran across this article by Antonio Graceffo about Traditional Martial arts versus reality fighting. In my opinion his views seem a little biased and incorrect. Just wanted to get everyones opinion on the article and the subject of the article itself. Here is my take on his article and the subject.

Link to full article

"I've been in the ring with champion Tae Kwan Do and other traditional martial artists, and I knew from experience that one solid punch in the face would change everything these guys believed about themselves and their art."
Now i'm not here to bash MMA or any other art for that matter. But this part of his article kind of bothered me. Wouldn't any Tae Kwon do, karate, Kung Fu fighter with experience say the same thing about him and his art. I just didn't get his point of saying this and it seemed rather offensive.

"And if everyone did this, we would develop into a world with one extremely effective martial art. But somehow, the traditional martial arts don't do this."
He is talking about taking the best parts of all the martial arts and putting them together into one art like mma people do. I feel like he assumes that to us traditional people, all we care about is fighting. Yes i guess some of us do but we are also in it for several other reasons. Building character, discipline, spiritual calmness, focus, etc... Thus why traditional martial arts "don't do this" Fighting and winning is simply not what it's about all the time to everyone. To some of us, the worst enemy is ourselves and not another opponent.

"In more than 25 years of training and competing in countless challenge matches and a number of professional fights, I have never earned any type of belt in martial arts."
Maybe because you lack discipline my friend. Okay, that was a bash, I apologize.

"Every few years I get the urge to do TMA. I show up in a school, train a couple days. Then either I get impatient and want to fight, or if it is in a country where I am known, they are curious and invite me to fight. Inevitably, they fight like my sister, and I am disappointed. I leave, running straight back to boxing or Muay Thai (Khmer Boxing). Why would I waste my time unlearning the fighting skills it has taken me years to develop?"
Okay, this is not a bash but the truth in my opinion. In my dojang I learn how to use a Jingum, I learn how to defend myself with my fist and legs. But the most important thing i have learned is patience and respect. The reason why I am a little peeved about the author of this article is because he seems to be lacking in both. A couple days? What could you possibly know in a couple days to "get impatient and want to fight"? They fight like my sister? Have a little respect and don't generalize people in TMA from the few fights you have had in a controlled situation? Maybe it's just me but I have been taught from my Master that a comment like that will get me kicked out of the dojang for good. Patience and Respect.

"In Korea, it happened the same way. On my second night of training, the teacher said he wanted me to fight one of his guys – so they could see what I could do. They were curious about the way a boxer/kickboxer fights, and I think I may have only been the second foreigner to ever enter the school, so there is always some interest in seeing how foreigners do things. I started looking around for boxing gloves, but they told me I wasn't allowed to punch, because it wouldn't be fair, and someone could get hurt. While I agree with them, having me fight without gloves wouldn't demonstrate what it is that I do. I am, admittedly, the world's worst kicker, so this was going to be a one-sided fight. When the teacher said, "Go!" I rushed in and crowded my Korean opponent. I stayed right on top of him, where he couldn't use those long high kicks that they love. From this position, the only kick I could manage was a shin kick to the back of his right thigh, which I threw repeatedly. First he stopped to complain that I was crowding him. Next, he complained about the shin kicks. A few times, he did manage to get a little distance and throw high kicks, but I blocked with my elbows. Finally, one of my elbows landed square on his shin, and he collapsed in pain. The fight was over.
I pretty much knew the fight would go like that."
Thats great that he won that match. It truly is, and I do agree that a lot of these mma fighters are awesome. I have seen them in action and would not want to run into them in a dark alley but again. This is not what martial arts means to all of us. So i still don't understand why he speaks of TMA ers being out of touch and we should change to become more like them. And again, just sticking up for my peoples here, controlled situation. It's not real life. I have unfortunetly seen a mma person that was very efficient at there art, layed out on the ground when he messed with the wrong group of guys. Seen the same thing with TMA people too. But that is my point. To me, martial arts are not only about being the best fighter in the world. If it was then man...I have wasted a lot of time.

"The next day when I came to class, the teacher complimented me on my performance the night before. He said that blocking kicks with elbows was deadly. He was also fascinated to watch me work the heavy bag with my hands. "Wow!" he said, or the Korean equivalent. "That is amazing, and tough." Then he proceeded to teach me some stupid, silly, traditional martial art punching drill, after which, he taught me how to block kicks with my open hands."
Wow indeed. I would have a lot of respect for this author if he carried himself with some respect. Maybe he set a great example for himself and maybe even answered his own question here. The Kuk Sul Won Master, MASTER I remind you, takes the time to show how impressed he is and tells the author how amazing and tough his skill looks. The Author in turn when taught the skills of Kuk Sul Won calls the drills Stupid, Silly traditional martial art punching drills. I suggest that if he wants to know the answers of why we do what we do? One, learn to have some respect for others, two gain the patience that he obviously doesn't have.

"Why don't traditional martial arts just throw away the chop, the hammer strike, the finger spear, the monkey-brain, the slapping open-hand kick-block, or at least stop throwing their hands down when they kick? Why don't they see that none of these techniques work, and that they should stop practicing them?"
Why doesn't he...No comment. Patience and respect.

"Proponents of traditional martial arts say, "It's not about fighting. It's about discipline."
Yes and no. I would say depending on who you ask, its actually about a good balance of both. Both being equilly important, with out one I feel the other is worthless. But that last statement is purely IMO.

"Now I am training for a fight again. I am in the gym three hours a day. Are they saying pro-fighters lack discipline?"
No, I just feel that he has no discipline. Okay, that was another bash, im sorry. But truthfully, and I'm not saying that only TMAers know this because i'm sure a lot of MMAers follow this too. Discipline is not just about training hard. Discipline is how you carry yourself when your not in the Dojang/Dojo/Gym. Yes, this author seems to be very disciplined when it comes to fighting and training. As for having discipline in how he treats others, patience and how one carries himself. I see no discipline what so ever. Opinions are opinions. They don't have to be followed up by insults. Excuse me all for my lack of discipline. I'm trying to be fair as possible here.

"They argue that traditional martial arts is about technique. Isn't pro-fighting also about technique?"
Yes, i will agree with him on this. Although i do feel that technique of fighting in a ring/cage and techniques of fighting outside against multiple people or even one are different. But yes, I do honestly believe that pro fighters have great technique.

"The final argument is usually, "You just don't understand. It's not about fighting."
If it's not about fighting, then they need to change the name to the NON-MARTIAL ARTS."
I saved this part for last cause I thought it was SPECIAL. Okay, i'm normally a really sarcastic guy so you all don't know how hard it is for me to not go all out on the author right now. But I'm gonna resist here and just stay on track. I'm just gonna sum it up here. He calls what we do stupid and silly. He shows us no respect and in a very biased article basically bashing our arts. Yes Antonio Graceffo my friend, you just don't understand. Yet I will give him one thing, he seems to be trying to find an answer. He is taking Kuk Sul Won and says he will try to keep up with it. I can respect him for that, but the way he went about trying to find the answer to his question? This (IMO) offensive article? Tells me that he has not found the answer yet. Maybe not the best path to take.
-Andrew

P.S. This post is in no way a bash to MMAers. I have nothing but respect for them. But it's more pointed towards people who are like the author. It's okay to question, but have some respect. Unfortunetly there are people in MMA AND TMA that are like that. Now the real question is, who's fault is that? Again, sorry for the novel and a half. Just had to get this off my chest.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mixing martial arts is really a misnomer. You have a dominant philosophy and one of the martial arts you have mixed is making the call.
sean

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
P.S. This post is in no way a bash to MMAers. I have nothing but respect for them. But it's more pointed towards people who are like the author. It's okay to question, but have some respect. Unfortunetly there are people in MMA AND TMA that are like that. Now the real question is, who's fault is that? Again, sorry for the novel and a half. Just had to get this off my chest.

While opinions aren't a bad thing, it's when someone thinks that their opinions (what they say or do) are 100% truth, and if you disagree then you don't know a thing. That's what that author of the article sounds like. I agree- it's fine to say what you think, but some should exercise quite a bit more tact or not think so highly of themself.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well to my dismis is this guy really saying that in Korea they do not punch well I have been there and alot of schools punch and do it well, I cannot see a Korean Master having there top fighter not being able to get one kick off even the Olympic fighters are tought how to make little room to get that axe kick or crescent kick to the head off.

Well he must be the best fighter ever and I have never heard of him, so I must be the worst person ever, after 40 something years in the MA, I would usaully recognize someone names atleast.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
This guy is not doing martial arts, he is training for competition fighting nothing more. He is not interested in anything beyond how to punch, kick, knee, and elbow. Some might say that is what boxers or Muay Thai guys do, but they know the history of their art at the very least. I bet mister Antonio Graceffo does not. A couple of days then he wants to fight? I'm surprised he had the patience to write the article.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hybrid,

As long as you're involved in Taekwondo or any other formal art for that matter, you'll hear VERY opinionated comments like this. Just remember, it doesn't matter what he thinks, only what YOU think.

Since you asked fore opinions, MY opinion is, he clearly believes what he's saying. Personally, I really don't care what he believes. Just let it go.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
hybrid,

As long as you're involved in Taekwondo or any other formal art for that matter, you'll hear VERY opinionated comments like this. Just remember, it doesn't matter what he thinks, only what YOU think.

Since you asked fore opinions, MY opinion is, he clearly believes what he's saying. Personally, I really don't care what he believes. Just let it go.

Well said. People who express these opinions generally have an insecurity concerning what they are doing. Maybe he feels he is missing out on something, but won't take the time to figure it out.

He probably just dictated it and had some other poor shlob write it up...

I have no doubt that you are right. He strikes me as the kind of guy who has trouble sitting still for more than a minute.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes, in my nastier moments&#8212;of which there are very few, take my word for it! :EG:&#8212;I fantasize about this guy going into a dojo looking to fight their top practitioner and findhing himself in the ring with Mas Oyama or Chotoku Kyan or one of the ROK 11th Marine Company who pulverized the N. Vietnamese infantry in H2H combat at Tra Binh Dong using Kwan era TKD...

... oh dear, oh dear, oh... dear.... :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So I decided to have a little look. Something smelt funny as it where. No one that seems to despise Traditional styles as much as those select quotes say keeps going back to different schools.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=710

This is his story, his opinions. If you disagree that is fine, but give him some credit, he tries them. He's been to numerous Traditional schools, can you say the same about MMA / Kickboxing schools?

He even recognizes that despite not offering him anything in terms of ring fighting, his goal as a pro fighter, there is something that keeps drawing him back to it.

I'd reccomend everyone read the whole article before passing too much judgement, it tells a much fuller story then a few selected quotes pulled out to attack the author with.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I decided to have a little look. Something smelt funny as it where. No one that seems to despise Traditional styles as much as those select quotes say keeps going back to different schools.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=710

This is his story, his opinions. If you disagree that is fine, but give him some credit, he tries them. He's been to numerous Traditional schools, can you say the same about MMA / Kickboxing schools?

He even recognizes that despite not offering him anything in terms of ring fighting, his goal as a pro fighter, there is something that keeps drawing him back to it.

I'd reccomend everyone read the whole article before passing too much judgement, it tells a much fuller story then a few selected quotes pulled out to attack the author with.

Just read through the entire article and two things struck me.

"If the goal is to have the most effective fighting system, it seems you would just adopt the best techniques from whatever everyone else is doing."
This may be mr Graceffo goal but it is not necessarily the goal of others. He is assuming that all martial artists are working toward the most effective fighting system. If we followed his advice, what a boring world martial arts would be with everyone doing the same thing.

The other thing was his belief that if you didn't do it the way he did you were wrong.

I like the martial arts world I live in with its multitude of different arts developed from different sources. I like the fact that we are in a time when a new martial art, MMA or whatever you want to call it, is being developed. The world that Antonio Graceffo envisions as perfect is a grey one, devoted solely to preparing a person for ring competition. Forty years of training and hating traditional martial arts seem to have closed his mind to the possibilities.

Variety is the spice of life.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just read through the entire article and two things struck me.

"If the goal is to have the most effective fighting system, it seems you would just adopt the best techniques from whatever everyone else is doing."
This may be mr Graceffo goal but it is not necessarily the goal of others. He is assuming that all martial artists are working toward the most effective fighting system. If we followed his advice, what a boring world martial arts would be with everyone doing the same thing.

The other thing was his belief that if you didn't do it the way he did you were wrong.

I like the martial arts world I live in with its multitude of different arts developed from different sources. I like the fact that we are in a time when a new martial art, MMA or whatever you want to call it, is being developed. The world that Antonio Graceffo envisions as perfect is a grey one, devoted solely to preparing a person for ring competition. Forty years of training and hating traditional martial arts seem to have closed his mind to the possibilities.

Variety is the spice of life.

And it's not at all clear just how much ring competition prepares you for what many regard as the ultimate test, the totally uncontrolled violence of a streetfight—the ultimate no-rules encounter.

That was my point in citing the particular fighters I did, all of whom were exponents of highly traditional MAs—and also some of the most feared `all-in' fighters ever. Kyan went out looking for streetfights to hone his skills in (as did another savage, and largely unbeaten, virtuoso, Choki Motobu). They didn't merely practice TMAs; in a lot of respects, they were `present at the creation', and they were also the violent untrained street bully's worst nightmare.

So you can diss a lot of modern training approaches to TMAs and get no quarrel from me; but you can't look at the history of the TMAs and diss their technical content with even a shred of justification. In my fantasy, Mr. G. learns this point firsthand in considerable detail...

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
And it's not at all clear just how much ring competition prepares you for what many regard as the ultimate test, the totally uncontrolled violence of a streetfight—the ultimate no-rules encounter.

That was my point in citing the particular fighters I did, all of whom were exponents of highly traditional MAs—and also some of the most feared `all-in' fighters ever. Kyan went out looking for streetfights to hone his skills in (as did another savage, and largely unbeaten, virtuoso, Choki Motobu). They didn't merely practice TMAs; in a lot of respects, they were `present at the creation', and they were also the violent untrained street bully's worst nightmare.

So you can diss a lot of modern training approaches to TMAs and get no quarrel from me; but you can't look at the history of the TMAs and diss their technical content with even a shred of justification. In my fantasy, Mr. G. learns this point firsthand in considerable detail...

It is interesting to ponder the future when someopne voices opinions like these. Kyan, Motobu, and Oyama were essentially the founders of Okinawan/Japanese arts but they were brutal men, not necessarily unethical, but brutal. In a hundred years if MMA survives, and I think it will, what will people then be saying of the founders of the variation of the martial arts. Their techniques were weak? It all incomprehensible nonsense? Maybe. What goes around comes around. Circles. Maybe that's why I like bagua some much.

Speaking of brutal men, Dong Haichuan, the founder of modern bagua and Guo Yushen a xingyi expert he fought were pretty nasty too.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is interesting to ponder the future when someopne voices opinions like these. Kyan, Motobu, and Oyama were essentially the founders of Okinawan/Japanese arts but they were brutal men, not necessarily unethical, but brutal. In a hundred years if MMA survives, and I think it will, what will people then be saying of the founders of the variation of the martial arts. Their techniques were weak? It all incomprehensible nonsense? Maybe. What goes around comes around. Circles. Maybe that's why I like bagua some much.

LOL!

Speaking of brutal men, Dong Haichuan, the founder of modern bagua and Guo Yushen a xingyi expert he fought were pretty nasty too.

I think that people in brutal times have to develop a certain brutality to survive (and I think that there would little more self-servingly arrogant than to dismiss these outstanding martial artists because they trained their arts in the devastating, one-strike/one kill manner that was one of Matsumura's lasting legacies to empty-hand combat, and fought as often as they felt they needed to to establish their supremacy in the MA pecking order of the time). But that's the point: the TMAs grew up in conditions of terrible violence and danger. They were keys to survival, period. The idea that they're nothing but conventionalized choreographed ritual, which Graceffo seems to be promoting, makes absolutely no sense, given the history we now have available...

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL!

I think that people in brutal times have to develop a certain brutality to survive (and I think that there would little more self-servingly arrogant than to dismiss these outstanding martial artists because they trained their arts in the devastating, one-strike/one kill manner that was one of Matsumura's lasting legacies to empty-hand combat, and fought as often as they felt they needed to to establish their supremacy in the MA pecking order of the time). But that's the point: the TMAs grew up in conditions of terrible violence and danger. They were keys to survival, period. The idea that they're nothing but conventionalized choreographed ritual, which Graceffo seems to be promoting, makes absolutely no sense, given the history we now have available...

It seems to come back to something that Confucius said: To know the future, one must understand the past.

It would be unrealistic nowadays to expect people to go out into the streets to hone their skills, even though some do seem to do this. You're more likely to be shot or gang-thumped. So we are left with training, and the simple fact of the matter is we must accept, to a certain degree, that those who went before us developed these training techniques from reasonable bases.

I think that mr Graceffo and others like him can't see this no matter how hard they might try. If it isn't regularly used in harsh competition it must have been made up in the hall as something for people to do.

The funny thing is he is a great advocate of boxing and Muay Thai. Both are old and have history, both have systems for training, both have a set of techniques. If looked at this way they are traditional martial arts, aren't they?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
This guy is obviously selling his books, DVD and talkshow in this article and some of the more BS things he says makes it hard to take him seriously.

However i agree about at least one thing, we all need a good punch in the face now and then!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
If that's the case, I've already qualified many times over!
icon10.gif

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It would be unrealistic nowadays to expect people to go out into the streets to hone their skills, even though some do seem to do this. You're more likely to be shot or gang-thumped. So we are left with training, and the simple fact of the matter is we must accept, to a certain degree, that those who went before us developed these training techniques from reasonable bases.

I think that mr Graceffo and others like him can't see this no matter how hard they might try. If it isn't regularly used in harsh competition it must have been made up in the hall as something for people to do.

You have a really good point here ST, and referring back to Exile's remark about this guy bumping into one of the old Korean Army soldiers, to get something perfectly right it takes time, kids don't go to school to learn to read for one day or two days, they go for years and at the end of it they read as second nature, hopefully it's the same with martial arts, we train and after years of practice (at least not two days) we do it as second nature.
What this guy is training for is ring fighting, show fighting.... tackling an opponant under rules and regs and leaving them alive but beaten. What striking art TMA's are training for is, in the most brutal reality, leaving your opponant dead or severely incapacitated after one or two strikes. Both arts cannot be compatible and are for totally different things, so in my opinion, he shouldn't really be comparing them under the same criteria. Put two guys from each art in the ring who are the very very top of what the art is supposed to be for, give them their heads and no rules and only one is going to leave. I'm not going to guess which one.

Of course he's going to look down on the sparring that he's encountered in his travels, sparring in a striking TMA is not using the art to it's utmost, otherwise at the top of the art, we'd be killing each other in the dojang... and no one wants that.

Latest Discussions