Traditional Dobok...

Tae Kwon Dave

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi to all!
A question : why the traditional dobok of tang soo do or traditional taekwondo or korean karate has the black trimming, on the bottom, in the front and on the sleeves, like my avatar?

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll let those more experienced and knowledgeable than me answer the why, but I'll just note that, as far as I know, it's just a designation of dan status. Also, it's technically midnight blue, not black.

All yours, TSD-encyclopedias. ;)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll let those more experienced and knowledgeable than me answer the why, but I'll just note that, as far as I know, it's just a designation of dan status. Also, it's technically midnight blue, not black.

All yours, TSD-encyclopedias. ;)

Actually, in TKD, it's black :) As JT said, it indicates rank - the trim around the bottom of the dobok jacket (in the ITF, anyway - anything I say here is based on ITF TKD) indicates that you are a black belt - it's added after 6 months of active training following promotion to I Dan.

The stripes down the sides of the legs indicate that you are a IV Dan or higher.

The stripes down the arm indicate you have successfully completed an International Instructor's course at IV Dan or higher; at least, that's how it started, although some ITF affiliates and off-shoots use it for all IV Dan and higher practitioners.

The stripe around the upper part of the jacket is limited to masters, which in the ITF, is VII Dan and up.

OP
Tae Kwon Dave

Tae Kwon Dave

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually, in TKD, it's black :) As JT said, it indicates rank - the trim around the bottom of the dobok jacket (in the ITF, anyway - anything I say here is based on ITF TKD) indicates that you are a black belt - it's added after 6 months of active training following promotion to I Dan.

The stripes down the sides of the legs indicate that you are a IV Dan or higher.

The stripes down the arm indicate you have successfully completed an International Instructor's course at IV Dan or higher; at least, that's how it started, although some ITF affiliates and off-shoots use it for all IV Dan and higher practitioners.

The stripe around the upper part of the jacket is limited to masters, which in the ITF, is VII Dan and up.

I did'n mean in TKD ITF...but in Korean Karate, like Tang Soo Do, Kong Soo Do, etc...
Anyway thanks a lot!!!

Yossarian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The trim is black for some TSD orgs, ive never worn midnight blue trim or belt. I read years ago that GM Hwang saw the blue trim on the uniform of a Hwarang Warrior in a picture or in a museum. I dont know how true that is so please correnct me if om wrong.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen it indicate black belt rank, but that's not always the case. Not all schools will have the trim, and with TSD, I've heard some schools use midnight blue belt in place of the black belt. Something to do with certain beliefs way back when.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I had understood it was something the Moo Duk Kwan started to differentiate their kodanja from their colored belts. Since it was a sharp-looking uniform, other groups (mainly Korean martial arts) started using the black trim also. Later Hwang Kee started using midnight blue instead of black and lots of his students followed suit.

OP
Tae Kwon Dave

Tae Kwon Dave

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had understood it was something the Moo Duk Kwan started to differentiate their kodanja from their colored belts. Since it was a sharp-looking uniform, other groups (mainly Korean martial arts) started using the black trim also. Later Hwang Kee started using midnight blue instead of black and lots of his students followed suit.

Hapkido pratictioners also use black trim...

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In my school (Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan - American Tang Soo Do Association), we don't have colored trim on our doboks until we reach green belt, 6th gup. Otherwise, our Doboks are white, with colored belts of course.

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
Moo Duk Kwan Lineage schools tend to use the trim on the uniforms since it reflects the old HwaRang Warrior uniform to a certain degree(TSD uniforms, however,are still cut like Karate Gi, so they are not 100% accurate to the HwaRang uniform style). Midnight Blue color is also used because of the philosophy that one's training is never complete, that you must strive to better your mind, body and spirit your entire life.

In Kong Soo Do, however, they use regular white Karate Gi for practice. No trim, with a Black Belt, not Midnight Blue.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember hearing a long time ago that the black v-neck on the WTF uniform is something to do with a cadre of korean bodyguards in times past.

Whether I've got this spot on and whether its the same for ITF etc doboks I cant say.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I heard the theory behind the V-neck uniforms was so there was less chance of getting grabbed. Meh. I go for a traditional dobok over a sporty TKD one (no offense meant).

On that note, who here (like me) uses the heavier canvas-type dobok as opposed to the lighter, gotta-be-polyester-blend variety?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really like the traditional style uniforms. I don't think you'll ever catch me wearing a v-neck.

Black trim because it matches my belt and looks cool :) ;)

Or plain white because I haven't got around to finding someone to trim it out :D

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
traditionally Tang Soo Do uses a full trimmed dobahk (cufs, lapel, vents) such as this
hchwabg-kjn.jpg

Also Tang Soo Do has traditionally used the "midnight blue" trim...these uniforms are supposed to mimic the clothing of ancient Korean scholars, and Hwa Rang warriors. In Korean culture midnight blue is supposed to signify knowledge, and life, among other things (note they have a Blue House versus a White House)....whereas Black signifies death.

--josh

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can find it shown on the Soo Bahk Do website somewhere, aswell as on some of the school sites affiliated with U.S. Soo Bahk Do Federation

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can find it shown on the Soo Bahk Do website somewhere, aswell as on some of the school sites affiliated with U.S. Soo Bahk Do Federation

I should have added a little more detail to my post, sorry!

I was really curious how long ago this was taken and if there were any more of its kind. It looks like GM Hwang is wearing a black trimmed Dobahk and a Black Dee. Currently, the US SBD Federation uses only Midnight Blue belts as far as I know.

I was also kind of curious to see a more close up and clear picture of his Dee. I'm curious what he has embroidered on it (the Hangul part).

Thanks, Muwubu, I'll look around the Federation website a little more.

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
your welcome.

by the way, that is midnight blue, but it depends where you buy the uniform and belt on how dark it will be. just so happens that GM Hwang bought a darker blue material.

also, his belt says the full federation name

sa dan bup in Dae Han Soo Bahk Do Hwe Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan
(Official Registered in Korea) Korea Soo Bahk Do Association Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan

The other side of the belt says his name

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
I always wondered why some Sa Boms have their names on the belts and some dont. Is it a regional thing, or a preference thing?

Latest Discussions