Tournaments 101

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok Kirk, I went to an open tournament today and in the black belt mens division there were 2 kenpo guys going for gand champion.

Out of six guys, the other four were TKD trained, the kenpoists ended up fighting for 1st and 2nd. So another kenpo grand champion and the TKD guys have to go train some more to win :D

:asian:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Many styles don't understand the clock principle and angular attacks so when you deviate from the straight line they have a hard time adjusting. At the same time you can always get clocked if your not careful.

I remember I fought in the Texas state championships in 2000 and came in to punch a guy and he caught me with a punch to the side of my jaw and I dropped. I was just laying there laughing and the judges were freaking out. It was funny because I wasn't hurt, but it was such a pretty shot that caught me on a nerve that I just went down. As I layed there on my back I looked over and saw the guy I was fighting was layed out a few feet a way from me as well. Obviously I did connect and connected well. I beat him and ended up taking 2nd in Brown Belt men after losing in sudden death. Oh, the memories.

jb

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
2nd............ 2nd!!!!!!!!!!
We don't want no stinking 2nd!!!!!!!

After all that and you only took 2nd......sheesh.
I'm sending you to Chape'l!
:mad:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah,

I was a little dissapointed as well. I dedicated that season to SGM Parker since it was 10 yrs since his passing. Had an all black fighting uniform with red flames, just for him. I was knocking on the door, but couldn't get though it that time. I still like to think he would have been a little proud.

As a side note I saw the guy that took first immediately afterwards in the bathroom when I went to change (after getting trophies, pictures and all of that). I told him good match and noticed he was grimmicing. I asked him if he was ok and he said I had kick him so hard in the groin that he was still trying to get his balls out of his stomach. I just remembered that....and I remember I felt a little better as I walked out...lol... :asian:

jb

p.s. I know you don't mean that comment about Doc C...:D

p.p.s. Took third in forms at State....those darn TKD judges

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You must be turning into a brute then!

The Jason I knew was nice and easy going not a ballkicking fool!!

(what, you trying to make the Buffalo Boys club or somethin)! Humph

:rofl:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heck,

I broke a guy's wrist back when I was a purple or blue belt in the late 80's. Young, dumb and full of... No control and the guy was my friend. Boy we were all about kicking some butt back then.

Anyway, those days are over. We still bleed, but we try not to break (other than my nose this past year).

jb

OP
K

kenpokid

So what is everyone high and lows of competing.

Mine is i get such a buzz from winning but the one thing i hate about competing is that the referee can be biased which spoils the whole competition. The best is the experience you gain from competing and the new friends that you make.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has many benefits ....... winning is one. However to master this experience you must understand the nature of the beast. You must be able to adapt to various circumstances that pop up at a moments notice some very unpredictible and be able to come out smelling like a rose.

You can not trust the........

Promoter
Arbitrators
Region
Rules
Patches
Systems
Styles
Your Opponent
The Head Judge
Side Judges
Scorekeepers
Timekeepers

and you must P Y A A T T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Protect Your *** All The Time)

You must make YOUR point the "GOD AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT'S A POINT .... POINT!!

once you understand what you are in for.......... go for it and beat all odds!!

Good Luck.....

(Advice given from one who has been there and conquered!)

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
You must make YOUR point the "GOD AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT'S A POINT .... POINT!!

That always makes me laugh. When they think they have the point and both fighters throw their arms up in the air and run around and jump to make everyone believe they have the point. What a bunch of J@ck@sses.

That happened to me once and when he threw his arms in the air, I punched him in the face. Instant D/Q for drawing blood. I at least offered to help him up.

OP
R

RCastillo

Lord Ronin, enlighten me. Why would you do that?:confused:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

That always makes me laugh. When they think they have the point and both fighters throw their arms up in the air and run around and jump to make everyone believe they have the point. What a bunch of J@ck@sses.

That happened to me once and when he threw his arms in the air, I punched him in the face. Instant D/Q for drawing blood. I at least offered to help him up.

Gotta love ya Gou, gotta love ya!!

(I'd have done the same probably) You never stop until the ref tells you to stop

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To sort of follow up on what GD was saying about trust.

I had a buddy fighting in Vegas at the USA Internationals a few years back and he's fighting the favorite in super heavy. Well it goes to sudden death and the ref tells them to fight. Right of the line my buddy kicks him in the mouth twice and all four conrner judges raise their hands, to call a point. In that competition only the center ref could call break and was going to let it go till the crowd got involved, ok me. Well he calls break and calls for a point, and of course all four judges raise two fingers (for two point head kick) and point to my buddy. The guy he's fighting has a cow about it says it's a violation of the rules and all and wants an arbitrator. The arbitrator comes over and talks it over with the center ref and decides that they should re-call the point and that would be final. They re-called and still all four judges called the head kick and my buddy won.

So like GD says you can't trust : (see his post)

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by RCastillo
Lord Ronin, enlighten me. Why would you do that?

I always help people I knock down up. I'm a nice guy.

OP
R

RCastillo

Now you know the man behind the myth!

:rofl:

I'm crushed.........................

OP
G

GouRonin

Now you know the man behind the myth!

I had been boxing previous to this and while I had been in a few point tournys I forgot that action stops when the point is scored. The guy did score a point on me. I'm easy to score points on. However I forgot the action stops. So I look up and there he is dancing with his hands up and I figure it's nighty-night time and next thing you know he was bleeding all over my shoes.

I suppose it might have looked like it was a cheap shot because I was mad and eventually I did convince them it wasn't an on-purpose but I remember some mighty mad shorinji ryu guys that day.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by RCastillo
I'm crushed.........................

Hey, at least I never kicked him in the nuts.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

Hey, at least I never kicked him in the nuts.

Hey, don't knock it till ya tried it. Ya don't know what your missing!!!

jb :rofl:

Latest Discussions