Toughing it out with two shotgun armed BGs

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa081017_wz_ambush.11fbdae6e.html

Suspect dies after FW driveway ambush
09:01 AM CDT on Friday, October 17, 2008, By WALT ZWIRKO / WFAA.com

FORT WORTH — A Fort Worth homeowner shot and killed one of two men he said tried to rob him at gunpoint Thursday night.

Derrick Powell, 35, told police he was ambushed by two men with shotguns as he pulled into his driveway in the 3800 block of Radford Road around 9 o'clock.

Powell said he was forced to lie down on the ground. When the men told him to get up, Powell said he managed to remove a gun he had concealed in his pants and opened fire.

One of the bandits was hit several times and collapsed in the street; the other fled on foot.

As Powell ran for cover, a car drove by and picked up the wounded man.

A short time later, police were notified that a man with multiple gunshot wounds had been brought to the Huguley Memorial Medical Center emergency room, where he was pronounced dead.

The dead man was identified as 27-year-old Anthony Wilson of Arlington.

Another man who may be linked to the attempted holdup was being questioned.

No charges were filed against Powell. The case will be reviewed by the Tarrant County District Attorney's office, which could refer it to a grand jury.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Think I'll wait until the background facts emerge before making any conclusions.

Could be that the homeowner was Joe Innocent who may well have brought a deadly crime spree to a halt with his excellent shooting in a high pressure situation.... but it could also come out that these two criminals were here to rob a rival gang leader or meth lab.... or some other scenario.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I agree with Grydth; let's wait till we know more before judging. After all, the whole 'set-up' sounds a little odd in that a co-ordinated armed assault is unlikely to happen over someone without anything worth the effort.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Think I'll wait until the background facts emerge before making any conclusions.

Could be that the homeowner was Joe Innocent who may well have brought a deadly crime spree to a halt with his excellent shooting in a high pressure situation.... but it could also come out that these two criminals were here to rob a rival gang leader or meth lab.... or some other scenario.
I'd be agreeing that it might be better for more details on the story. IF we see them. Seems that we only get the first story and rarely the continuation or even conclusion. Like reading a bunch of dime novels half way through and tossing them into the wastebasket without ever getting to the end.
Nothing personal to the folks that post (including myself) stories like these because they are, from a martial arts/self-defense point of view important.
Important to see how they relate to us and what are the possibilities which are endless can be.

Pretty gutsy move either way to go head to head with two shotguns at close range. Had either of the two shotguns been on their toes (doesn't seem that they were) the man could've been cut in half while gunning down one of them. But seems in this case the dog that suddenly fights back as you prepare to beat it is scarier.
Only in Texas can you defend yourself by shooting an assailant and not get charges pressed against you. Think I ought to move back there.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like the police don't see anything but a righteous shoot so far.....even if the guy defending himself was another criminal, score one Darwin award winner taken care of. ;)

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wish we heard about more of these "righteous shoots" in California. Maybe it would change the thinking enough to change the ridiculous gun laws.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wish we heard about more of these "righteous shoots" in California. Maybe it would change the thinking enough to change the ridiculous gun laws.
Agreed, but when you got gang-bangas shooting out of cars indiscriminately hoping to hit their intended targets and walking up to someone and "popping a cap" at them and so forth... the laws have to be tighter, more strict.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Agreed, but when you got gang-bangas shooting out of cars indiscriminately hoping to hit their intended targets and walking up to someone and "popping a cap" at them and so forth... the laws have to be tighter, more strict.

Whoa. Don't lump honest citizens with gang bangers and pass laws to disarm and restrict good people from stopping evil.

Juries can decide if the altercation was self defense or homicide. Don't just pass a law were everyone who defends themselves are considered criminal.

Deaf

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score

yeah, those strict gun laws are really keeping the crime down. It works in D.C. too from what I hear...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yeah, those strict gun laws are really keeping the crime down. It works in D.C. too from what I hear...

Thats because D.C. is full of machine guns. You know, a machine gun... any gun with a bottom loading magazine.

*rolls eyes*

If that guy was legit, I'm glad he got his piece out and took care of buisness. Might make some folks think twice.

Latest Discussions