Touching your Students

C

c2kenpo

Just a quick note after readling last few posts.

There is a BIG difference between touching an Adult student and a 12 yr old female student (with all the other things in place just the shoulder etc.. It doesn't matter what format your are in or where it is it could be at the local mall. It all comes down to how someone COULD view it.

Perception vs. Reality is so wide and varied what one percieves as happening and what really is. This goes back to looking at Different Points of View see that thread for an example. (Reminds me to add a pic of something like this there)

Just a note.

David Gunzburg

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was at a seminar/camp and one of the young ladies I was working with would do a disarm, yet would not to the lock where the hand is pinned against the person chest.

I smiled and said I understand the difference between men and women and respect that difference. You still can do the lock, place the hand a little higher up and nearer the shoulder. I explained this does make it easier to slip out of the technique, yet this young woman in here 20's could still feel comfortable doing the technique.

Many times it is the intent or how the act is perceived which is the impact, either by the person in question or by others.

I believe proper contact is appropriate.
:asian:

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting topic. I teach kids, and yes, I touch them in the course of teaching. But it occurs to me now that whenever I'm touching a kid, I'm also talking them through the technique, and I'm usually pretty loud, because they are loud, so it's pretty obvious what the intent is.

Having assistants around also helps: witnesses.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
c2kenpo said:
Just a quick note after readling last few posts.

There is a BIG difference between touching an Adult student and a 12 yr old female student (with all the other things in place just the shoulder etc.. It doesn't matter what format your are in or where it is it could be at the local mall. It all comes down to how someone COULD view it.

Very true. What one person could look at as innocent, another could blow totally out of proportion!

Perception vs. Reality is so wide and varied what one percieves as happening and what really is. This goes back to looking at Different Points of View see that thread for an example. (Reminds me to add a pic of something like this there)

Another picture??? Didn't you see all of the trouble that you caused with the last 2 that you posted?? :boing2: Just kidding dude!

Mike

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I was that young lady that Rich was disarming.

For some reason, there was also a lot of @$$ grabbing involved in the technique....wierd...

:roflmao:

Yo Tulisan dude,

It was an event you were not at. What you are referring too, I am not sure :rolleyes:

:asian:

if it is on a professional level, showing someone how to do something properly that is ok. however there shouldnt be any touching besides handshakes when you are in that environment.

C

c2kenpo

MJS said:
Very true. What one person could look at as innocent, another could blow totally out of proportion!

Another picture??? Didn't you see all of the trouble that you caused with the last 2 that you posted?? :boing2: Just kidding dude!

Mike

Me cause a stir??? You mean make people think????
(Very exaggerated southern voice)
Why sir!! I am offended that you would refere to me as a troublemaker!!!
I feel you owe me an apology, :rolleyes: for I do resemble that remark in its fullest!!

Hey if you get just one brain cell functioning imagine what 1 billion can do! :uhyeah:

David Gunzburg

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
c2kenpo said:
Me cause a stir??? You mean make people think????
(Very exaggerated southern voice)
Why sir!! I am offended that you would refere to me as a troublemaker!!!
I feel you owe me an apology, :rolleyes: for I do resemble that remark in its fullest!!

(in the same accent) Oh heck, y'all know that Iz wuz just a messin wit ya!! :boing2:

Hey if you get just one brain cell functioning imagine what 1 billion can do! :uhyeah:

Right on bro!! Keep 'em comin!!!

Mike

Latest Discussions