Top Secret Vault in Los Alamos now declassified

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Take a peak into a secret tunnel located under Los Alamos National Laboratory that provided the federal government a secure place to store nuclear material during the cold war. The site has recently been declassified, and has been shown on lab tours for the media and for families of lab workers as part of the lab's 70th anniversary celebration. The 230-foot-long tunnel vault was built in the late 1940s. Inside there are five storage areas, and the outside is protected by a security tower with gun ports and bulletproof glass.

[video=youtube_share;dWA5Z32tiKM]http://youtu.be/dWA5Z32tiKM[/video]

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a peak into a secret tunnel located under Los Alamos National Laboratory that provided the federal government a secure place to store nuclear material during the cold war. The site has recently been declassified, and has been shown on lab tours for the media and for families of lab workers as part of the lab's 70th anniversary celebration. The 230-foot-long tunnel vault was built in the late 1940s. Inside there are five storage areas, and the outside is protected by a security tower with gun ports and bulletproof glass.

[video=youtube_share;dWA5Z32tiKM]http://youtu.be/dWA5Z32tiKM[/video]

That site was declassified and emptied because of beryllium contamination-the contamination was discovered after the Cerro-Grande fire, and was cleaned up by 2002(03?).

It's in TA-41, which sits in the bottom of Los Alamos canyon, just a short hop down the road from the public ice-skating rink. It's on the north side of the canyon, so it isn't really "under Los Alamos Lab."

It's under the town......

(I'm not violating OPSEC if I tell you that the last time I was in the building next to the tunnel, back in 1997, there was a cruise missile in a cradle carraige therre......:uhoh: )

Latest Discussions