tongue ring ?

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering if some or anyone can help me I need to know tongue ring i am thinking about getting one i am just not sure if it will chip my teeth when i spar or when i am in class does any one have one have u ever? does it feel weird wearing a mouth peice?

see i think there cool and alot of girls i know think i should get one to

if u can help thanks

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know about all that stuff you mentioned, but if you get one you have to promise not to constantly stick you tounge out at people to show it off; because, its iritating as all hell. If I were a mean person I might ask a person to "show that to me again" and just then pop them in the chin with an upper cut. :)
Sean

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no piercings myself. I know a couple of folks that have tongue rings that train in MA. If you get one I STRONGLY suggest that you take it out while training.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have to agree, especially a tongue ring, its in the right place to get hurt.

I suggest not geting one, but at least take it out when training. That will become a huge task however, after a few weeks.

7sm

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have Fought in MMA, Kumite Ju Jitsu, Submisson Wrestling.

I have never removed it for competion or practise nor will i.

My Next MMA Fight is in Jan 2004 & it will be with
me then.
I have never Chiped a Tooth of my own on it.
When U 1st get it Done Youre Tonuge will Swell up
& it will be hard to eat. after 2 weeks it will be fine
after a year U will often forget it's there.

Q

Quick Sand

I do know people that have chipped teeth with them even without being in Martial Arts. It's totally up to you, but be sure you know what you're getting into. I also know a guy whose tongue ring got infected and that was pretty nasty.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85
Just wondering if some or anyone can help me I need to know tongue ring i am thinking about getting one i am just not sure if it will chip my teeth when i spar or when i am in class does any one have one have u ever? does it feel weird wearing a mouth peice?

if u can help thanks

Dude...tongue rings are for gays! Don't get one! :rofl: :rofl:

(Now...I can expect to be killed soon by anyone who might be "gay, as well as ACE when I go to buffalo this weekend, who is not "gay") lol.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85

Yech... don't get one, even if the most beautiful girl in the world tells you. There may be more problems than its worth down the road...not necessarily health related problems.

- Ceicei

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A buddy of mine gotten a tongue stud and was able to get along fine. He was able to afford several different types so to change them to suit the occasion... (Girls can't leave him alone ;) ) but for the first couple of weeks he was sore and said eating was a pain. So if you got unwanted pounds you might want to consider that route.
But I would think the question to ask is for long term usage. Go to the tattoo/piercing parlor and ask and if they won't give you the CONS along with the PROS then find another parlor. Then if you got time ask a doctor about it.
Think about the long term before doing ANYTHING with your body.

:asian:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My girlfriend has one and she is heavily into martial arts and like Ace said it has caused no problems, it seems to be pretty far away from the teeth and she doesn't even think about it or notice it's there.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can tell you from a medical position that if you are ever unconscious and a paramedic arrives to give mouth to mouth or if you are ever in need of a tongue bar for a seizure, you piercing will more than likely be ripped from your tongue.

But other than that, I think its a matter of personal prefrence.

7sm

T

triwahine

I would say don't do it. It's your choice, but accidents do happen. I know students in our dojo that must take out tongue, lip, ear, nipple and other various piercings before practice. Is it really worth the trouble. I think earing are enough. Like I said earlier, it's your choice. Please, be careful.

Aloha,
B

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never had a problem with mine, even though I trained with it in.

The thing is, I took care of it properly.

As soon as it is healed, you need to:

1. put in a short barbell, just longer than the width of the piercing.
2. put plastic or acrylic beads on the end, not metal. that way, you'll break the bead if you bite, rather than your tooth.

the barbells they pierce with are NOT to be left in the piercing, and a lot of irresponsible piercers don't tell you this. They are longer because your tongue swells when it heals. As soon as the swelling goes down to normal, you need to replace the barbell with a short one. If you can play with it, its probably too long.

And please, only get a piercing if YOU want one, not because someone else wants you to. Body modification is something that needs to be done for personal reasons, not because "chicks dig it".

I've had six piercings (re-pierced a couple of them, so not six at the same time) and am considering a seventh that I've been thinking about off and on for about five years.

My personal debate is whether I want to spend the $75.00 for a new piercing, or for jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. Right now the planes are winning, but I will probably get the piercing eventually.

B

Black Bear

I have enough holes in my body to keep track of as it is.

You know what they say about girls with tongue rings. ;)

T

Ty K. Doe

Dude!Dude!Dude!Dude!Dude!Dude!Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you like tube steak, leave it alone. Do you really want to be talking with a speach impetiment.

If you get one you're going to be saying "I am we tall did!"

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
if you go to a reputable piercer who knows what they're doing, you won't have a problem.

Ask to see the piercer's "book" most piercers keep a book of photos of their piercings for prospective clients. If you're happy with your piercing, offer to let them take a photo for their book.

Ask how long the piercer's been piercing, and who they did their apprenticeship with.

Ask to see their autoclave. If they don't have one, LEAVE.

Make sure you see the needle come out of the sterile bag. Ditto with the clamp and jewelry. If they use a marker, ask that they use a new one, and make sure you see it opened. Most good piercers will use a new marker for every customer, and give you the marker afterwards.

I've had eight body piercings, including the tongue, and never once had a problem, because I did my research and made sure that I knew what the piercer ought to be doing, and yes, I did walk out of a piercing shop where I didn't like the practices there (needles were kept in a box rather than in new individual packages, which is SCARY and that shop is no longer in existance).

Take care of your piercing. With a tongue pierce, that means listerine EVERY time you put something in your mouth, whether you're just chewing on the end of a pen or eating dinner. The swelling will be gone in a week or so (suck on ice to expedite this!) and it will be completely healed in a few weeks. Tongue piercings heal very quickly because of the good blood supply to the area.

If you shorten the barbell like you're supposed to, you won't have any tooth/gum problems either.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ty K. Doe
Dude!Dude!Dude!Dude!Dude!Dude!Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you like tube steak, leave it alone. Do you really want to be talking with a speach impetiment.

If you get one you're going to be saying "I am we tall did!"
I am Sofa King we tall did! ha ha ha ;) :rofl: :rofl:

Latest Discussions