Toe Injury

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Question for you guys-

I injured my big toe over a week ago and while it's still a bit sore(more of the top part), I'm ready to get back into class. My question is, does anyone have advice on how to tape it up to avoid as much pain as possible?

Should I tape up the injured toe individually with some kind of padding(like a gauze) underneath? Should I tape the toe to the toe next to it? Any suggestions would be great as I want to get back into class but also want to protect the toe. Thanks!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Question for you guys-

I injured my big toe over a week ago and while it's still a bit sore(more of the top part), I'm ready to get back into class. My question is, does anyone have advice on how to tape it up to avoid as much pain as possible?

Should I tape up the injured toe individually with some kind of padding(like a gauze) underneath? Should I tape the toe to the toe next to it? Any suggestions would be great as I want to get back into class but also want to protect the toe. Thanks!
just put a bit of padding on it /round it, then turn up your chi and turn off the pain. It's all the the mind

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Be real careful with that toe. You can tape it to the next toe, maybe. Give it a shot and see how it goes. But like ks said, I'd avoid any kind of pivoting.

How did you hurt it?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a very sore big toe on my right foot, it hurt when I walked it hurt when a ran, it hurt when a kicked and it hurt very much if I stood on my tip toes. I just ignored it now it doesn't hurt, im not sure if that's because its got better, or that I've turned the pain off by working through it. I suspect its the latter, it doesn't matter really

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Be real careful with that toe. You can tape it to the next toe, maybe. Give it a shot and see how it goes. But like ks said, I'd avoid any kind of pivoting.

How did you hurt it?

I was doing a front kick on a bag and caught the top of my toe on the bag instead of the bottom of my foot. Completely new guy move and it hurt like hell. Just glad I didn't lose me nail. I thought the toe might be broken but it didn't feel like a break really and still doesn't.

I didn't get it checked out because the cost versus what a doctor could do didn't appeal to me. Having broken fingers/toes in sports before, there's not too much they can often do.

I think I'm pretty good to go but would like to give it some extra protection to be on the safe side.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I once injured my big toe also, forgot how i injured my self, but by wrapping next toe to it helped a bit.
Couldn't do high or side kick, but front kick was ok. Rely largely on my outer base of feet to walk, and run, also able to pivot by using the outer side and base of the toes instead of the toes themselves, less balance but if done in small steps it workable.

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a pair of wrestling shoes that support my munty toes.

If you can get away with that in training they are great.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is why I THANK GOD my school is largely focused around "combatives" so we are allowed to wear any "soft soled" shoes such as sneakers or sneaker soled "tactical" footwear such as Bates or Under Armor. I admit one night I showed up, as a joke, wearing 5.11's with a kicktoe (my sneakers were in my bag) just to see if the Sifu caught me. He did lol.

Latest Discussions