To compete or Not to compete!

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how many people in your dojang compete on a regular basis. And what do people think about compatition poomsae?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has been a while since i competed, but for personal reasons. I love to compete, oddly enough, even completely tanking my form does not bother me too much.

Our tourney schedule has been pruned down to 2 regionals and 1 national a year, we used to have 5 tourneys a year not too long ago. While it is encouraged to compete, many have to take a rain check if the competition is a few states over (or even a couple hours down the road).

Forms is usually the one who gets the least flustered wins it. ;)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The reason for compitition is to test your skills against the unknown. Just going againt people in your dojang is not enough to test your skills. You must compete to advance.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How do you feel about teaching poomsae's that are above thier dan level (i.e. compatition poomsae) I know some instructors don't like this.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do you feel about teaching poomsae's that are above thier dan level (i.e. compatition poomsae) I know some instructors don't like this.

I have no problems with it as long as the student is also learning the correct aplications.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering how many people in your dojang compete on a regular basis. And what do people think about compatition poomsae?

Are you asking for yourself or inquiring about starting a competition team?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a competition team for those kids who want to compete (about 10 or so). Additionally, the head coach and myself will be competing at national this year in Austin. For me, this is my first year at trying competition personally...i've found it's been a great way to focus and energize my training. While I do not focus solely on competition, it is a useful part of my training. It adds a reason to condition. It helps sharpen my movement, timing and distance. It gets me used to workign aginst resistance and getting hit. For me, its a tool for self-improvement.

Peace,
Erik

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Free match in a tournament is quite different from class sparring. In class there is no referee or judge, no points awarded, and no one is declared a winner. A tournament has all these, and after all the rounds of competition are done, there can be only one “winner.” Thus, the intensity of emotional and physical determination is much greater in a tournament than in class. Herein lie both the strength and weakness of tournament competition.
Viewed correctly, a tournament is an opportunity for a student to test his or her skills (physical, mental, and emotional). It is an opportunity to “do your best” on that day at that time and in that place: an opportunity to push yourself to the limit of which you are capable. From this perspective, “winning” a trophy makes you a champion; it does not make you a winner.
The difference between a champion and a winner is crucial to an understanding of the positive value to be gained from participation in tournaments. A champion is someone whose skill, luck, and timing came together at a critical moment: a skillful fighter (and not necessarily the most skillful) is someone who had the good fortune to enter the tournament and meet other fighters whose skill and luck were less on that particular day. The next time, he or she may win, or may not.
Being a winner, unlike being a champion, is not a momentary thing. Being a winner is a matter of continuous attitude. A fighter who does his or her best each time he or she enters the ring is a winner; whether he or she prevails in the fight is unimportant. “Going for the gold” is merely a training aid to focus the mind and elicit the best the fighter has to give. The fighter who gives his or her best is a winner, win or lose in the ring. This becomes clearer if you bear in mind that the ring is merely a microcosm of life; performance in the ring is a reflection of performance in life.
A winner is not necessarily a champion, and a champion is not necessarily a winner. Everyone cannot be a champion, but everyone can be a winner. But it is difficult to be either if you refuse to enter the ring.
Each time we face an opponent in the ring, we, in truth, face ourselves. Our insides are bared, and all of our fears, angers, hatreds, and insecurities come out and fight against us. Thus, we are really fighting ourselves; our opponents become our partners and teachers, exposing for us our weakness and pointing the direction to transform them into strengths. Ultimately, the controlled conflict of free sparring opens the door to new levels of self awareness and understanding.
This is from my intructor's site. I do agree with Ron, Competitive Poomsae is great and very challenging.

Latest Discussions