To Block or NOT to Block???

G

GouRonin

Huk Planas threw me a question the other day. He mentioned that blocking could actually be a waste of time when compared to a parry or evasion.

What do you think? Should we block first or use blocking as a last resort? Ideas?
:confused:

OP
B

BKSB

Hi Gou..

You've tossed out an invitation to offer differing opinions
to Mr. Planas' view....Ouch damn fishing hooks hurt when you bite them!! Using the Kenpo definition of a block stopping or redirecting a force with force which can be labelled less sophisticated..not to be confused with less effective.. I prefer
to use maximum focus so that my blocks result in trauma to
the target which now means that my block is in fact a strike
and has become sophisticated!!...catch-22 yossarian..

OP
G

GouRonin

I hear what you're saying. In American Kenpo the idea is that a block is a strike and a strike is also a block.

What I am looking into is to remove the "and then' from my "vocabulary" and bring more flow. I'm looking for ideas to play with.

You've given me a few. Thanx.
:wavey:

OP
S

Sandor

just delete the 'block' from the 'block and then strike'...

Take Five Swords for example. Delete the block and you essentially have a devistating offensive technique.

Almost every tech in the system against punches, kicks etc. starts with a block but if you delete the block whats left?
Peace,
Sandor

OP
G

GouRonin

I think I'm working more in the alter mode rather than delete so far. But that direction certainly will come.
:boing1:

OP
P

paulk

Alter is good, try this.

Instead of a good old fashioned double arm block, modify the block in this manner.

As you block, block with the hands part open using the heels of the hand, striking to the mid point of the forearm and bicep.

As the block connects, spin your wrists in opposite directions, tunning the thumbs inwards.

This has a number of effects when the timing is right.

1. It hurts like hell and numbs the arm
2. The rear hand is directed towards the attacking wrist useful for control if required.
3. The lead hand is already directed on its journey towards the external cartoid.

Quick painful and effective

OP
S

Sandor

Paul,

When I was in Tracy's we had a tech called Whirling Blades that contained a second tech inside called Arking Blades. The version of Five Swords you just described matches that with a few exceptions; on the entry you snap to the groin with the blocking chops and the end finished like Conquering Shields elbow up/heel palm down combo.

Still one of my favorites :asian:

Peace,
Sandor

OP
B

BKSB

I like the concept of richochet blocking where the initial block
is actually a minor move as the strike moves forward.
An inside block with the lead hand to the outside of the
opponent's arm that shoot off into a rising forearm under
the chin or to the throat if I use my rear hand, a different
approach to circling the horizon using your one arm to
block,strike and then circle over and back to the kidney shot.
of course, all our blocks should be ricocheting to an extent as we
missile our moves.

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
This is starting to sound like other posts some of us have explored in the past, but unfortunately, we never get far past the theory stage.
The Dark Side of Kenpo.
Use of our techniques for atacking, as opposed to defending.:D

OP
G

GouRonin

Huk was showing me some ways to turn a block into an opening, kinda like counterblocking a block with a block and using the opponent's block as his attack so you can block and attack.

I was talking to him and block removal when he showed me that.

It's hard to explain. Easier to watch him do it.
:hammer:

OP
S

Sandor

Gou,

This is essentially what the Hubid's teach a person to do. Next time you see Huk ask him about the definition of Hubid :D

OP
G

GouRonin

It was something else. We discussed Hubud.

OP
B

BKSB

Potatoe toes!!

Gou/Sandor the concept of seeing an opponents block(viewed
as a strike perhaps) not as an obstruction but as a deviation as to what we had planned, since most circular strikes I use are coming in from an obscure zone, I assume it was linear and
he beat my initial action, I tend to go with collapsing my extended
limb into a circular elbow. Blindside elbow strikes and forearms
to mid section or throat get me hotter than Georgia asphalt!!

Of course I should have just shot the fool and spared myself
the extra effort, But the neanderthal gorilla still lives inside me,
he's my friend.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I prefer the idea of Parrying instead of blocking, the slipping of the attack leaves the opponent more open to your counter attack. Parries take less energy form you and due to their soft nature usually allow the opponet to over extend themselves, thus leaving them off balanced.

OP
J

jseabro2

I like an offensive fighter. Frequently I see people trying to get fancy while blocking (e.g when sparring) as if to "test" their opponent's offense...sooner or later, they get "tagged." A good offense, generally speaking, is a great defense.

OP
V

vincefuess

Man, what a long-*** thread for such a straight question!!:shrug:

I would use a block in lieu of of a parry if I was caught off-guard, OR if the opportunity for a nasty limb destruction is present.

I generally prefer to flow with the attack via parries and checks and bring the poor sod as deep into the hornet's nest as I can get them, that or pass them on thru (stinging all the way!).

OP
J

John_Boy

Defang the snake ehh Vince?....haha! (then stomp on it!) :D

OP
R

Rob_Broad

For beginners blocking is the only option. As you get better and more competent you will have other choices like the parry. Blocking has its merits and will be found thru your entire curriculum.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
I prefer the idea of Parrying instead of blocking, the slipping of the attack leaves the opponent more open to your counter attack. Parries take less energy form you and due to their soft nature usually allow the opponet to over extend themselves, thus leaving them off balanced.

:D
YEAH!! What he said.....

:cheers:

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by GouRonin
Huk Planas threw me a question the other day. He mentioned that blocking could actually be a waste of time when compared to a parry or evasion.

What do you think? Should we block first or use blocking as a last resort? Ideas?
:confused:
In our dojo we use blocking as a vital part of our counter-attacking methods. Since we are not an Offensive oriented martial system; blocking, parrying, ashi sabaki and tai sabaki or any combination of each, are the main elements of our defensive counter-striking motion conceptualities. Our Blocking and stepping is circular in methology. This provides us with the softer blocking contouring analogies to use hard trapping motions as a sling-shot effect. We do not purposely enter an attacker's centerline upon initial contact. We let the attacker have his/her yang force as he/she gives us unknowingly our complimentary angle of execution! This provides us with the opportunity to work one side of the body and destory the fort while the attacker cannot produce and effective counter to our counter. This, is because we are always to his/her outside with the attacker in the inside of the circle. Therefore a left or right offensive strike can be circularly softly blocked and contoured into a vicious trap of the striking natural weapon to produce the secondary finishing motions of devastation. This defensive works very well with weapons also! The understanding is to never turn the trapped natural weapon's (arm in this case) elbow in the direction of the sky or ceiling! Always angle the attacker's trapped elbow counter-clockwise to the floor! This will always turn your attacker away from you and expose their vital areas on the side of the upper and lower torsos! Thus, preventing their effective countering motions. The trapped natural wepon can also be used against the attacker to block his/her own countering attemps from accross their body. If the attacker trys to counter from the opposite or reverse direction; he /she only exposes more vital areas on the other side of their spine for the finishing defensive counter! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

Latest Discussions