To all boxers....

L

lost_tortoise

Have any of you experienced any permanent light sensitivity? I have been concussed more than I care to mention over the years and what used to be a temporary light sensitivity seems to have become quite permanent....and progressively more painful. Haven't had any neurological scans yet, but I am definitely considering it as the increase in sensitivity has me more than worried!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know about the (pseudo)-Parkinsonianism, but why light sensitivity? Damage to the retina from being banged about?

OP
L

lost_tortoise

I don't know the answer to that. I only experienced the light sensitivity a couple of times during concussions, but now it seems to be permanent. Like most pain, I try to ignore it as much as possible, but sometimes it is very disorienting and distracting...not good things in a conflict.

~geoffrey~

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A story in today's Indianapolis Star (Early Edition) says that heavyweight boxer Brad Rone died during a match in Cedar City, UT, apparently from a punch he took at the end of the first round.

He was fighting to earn moeny for his mother's funeral. She had passed away earlier in the week.

OP
B

Box Out 2003

i made it up to light heavyweight before a blood clot behind my eye stopped me. i also know dougie fought for money to buy a place for his wife to live. people fight for alot of reasons and you have be prepared for the results of that. a big hats off to any man that gets into the ring. they are gladiators.

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by arnisador
A story in today's Indianapolis Star (Early Edition) says that heavyweight boxer Brad Rone died during a match in Cedar City, UT, apparently from a punch he took at the end of the first round.

He was fighting to earn moeny for his mother's funeral. She had passed away earlier in the week.

MMA Deaths: 1 ( in an unsanctioned event somwhere in the Ukraine)
Boxing Deaths: Thousands(?)

Just fealt the need to through that out there. How commone are long term problems such as light sensitivity in the sport of boxing?

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by lost_tortoise
Have any of you experienced any permanent light sensitivity? I have been concussed more than I care to mention over the years and what used to be a temporary light sensitivity seems to have become quite permanent....

lost_tortoise,
Just out of curiousity, if I might ask, how long was your boxing career in years and bouts? Are you still an active fighter?

:asian:

Latest Discussions