TKD love it or hate it

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very true.

Rather than saying "Tae Kwon Do (or whatever) doesn't work", just say "Tae Kwon Do doesn't fit my needs. I pursue a different path." This is more honest.
If you prefer grappling or Kenpo, have at it. Practice it diligently, study it, and understand how to make it work for you.

L

LIONHEART

Thank you Michigan TKD I must admit I respect your opinions as well as I have agreed with virtually all you have said throughout this entire thread, it shows you have an utmost respect not only for tkd but for MA in general, Im sure you are a formiddable fighter.

I agree again with TKD being very practical for 3 on one fighting and more which is another reason I believe that it is in fact a street effective art, to any critic on kicking however, a properly executed kick does not need a particularly large amount of space and I have yet to see a moderately or unskilled (as 90% of the people you would fight in the street) puncher have a hope against a kicker.

It seems to me that the most complaints given about tkd are about the "point sparring" and olympic sparring, not to show any disrespect but that is almost entirely shown towards WTF taekwon do and what people need to understand is WTF is the adapted sport version of the traditional "true essence" of TKD again I mean no disrespect to any WTF practitioners (being the more popular of the 2) but it simply is not as street effective as ITF, before any of the people critisising TKD sparring do so further I suggest stopping by an ITF dojang as you may be pleasantly surprised, ITF will have the things you love from WTF plus the missing street effective side as well.

TaeKwon LIONHEART.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even then, it's not a condition unique to the WTF, or even something that all WTF dojangs suffer from. Just the ones that spend all their resources on the olympic rules and winning in those related sporting events.

It's not even preserving the art etc like a lot of WTF'ers I talk to lately insist. "TKD with punches is just boxing." (Sigh) The olympic committie restricted punching because they wanted to differentiate TKD from boxing and wrestling. There wasn't really any goal to preserve the kicking elements etc, it was just a marketing move. In doing so, they gutted the style.

D

DragonFooter

Hmmph !!! those who complain about semi contact sparring please define the difference between a fighter and a martial artist!!!!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A fighter is someone who just wants to use Tae Kwon Do or any MA to spar, fight, or cause pain to people. You don't have to practice MA to be a fighter, just have the mentality. Fighters tend to have short careers and sometimes lives because they get hurt or piss off the wrong person.

A martial artist is someone who wants the whole package: basics, forms, free fighting, self defense, philosophy, and improving your life.

D

DragonFooter

That's right baby! Which is why semi contact is a perfect way to hone our martial art skillz without hurting each other! Even with semi contact sparring we do get ribs broken, arms broken..nose broken etc etc with relatively low numbers opposed to full contact fighting rules!.
If i correctly remember.. the early, militaristic taekwon-do is full contact. Students are required to defeat their opponents selected by the Instructor in order to be promoted! Naturally very very few numbers wanted to join taekwon-do. Gen Choi realized this long ago dudes....

Latest Discussions