TKD love it or hate it

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was asked this question last night ( If I grew up with judo and karate why tkd now), by reply was it is a extremly effective way of self defense and conditioning. Beside my kids love all the aspects of TKD as so does my wife. As everybody that knows my post my oldest has a dream to compete in the Olympics who knows!!!! And for us this has become a life over the last 18 years, so my question to everybody else why do you study TKD??? God Bless America

N

NW Boiler

terryl965 said:
I was asked this question last night ( If I grew up with judo and karate why tkd now), by reply was it is a extremly effective way of self defense and conditioning. Beside my kids love all the aspects of TKD as so does my wife. As everybody that knows my post my oldest has a dream to compete in the Olympics who knows!!!! And for us this has become a life over the last 18 years, so my question to everybody else why do you study TKD??? God Bless America
I must say my reason are similar to yours. The art fits ..... it is what I am looking for and having long legs it is quite effective for me. Don't get me wrong I have other MA interests as well such as Kendo, Grappling etc.. but when it all boils down I really enjoy TKD!

R

RCastillo

I enjoy it for it's forms, and the foundation it laid for me to further excel in Kenpo. :asian:

S

ShaolinWolf

I just plain love it! TKD rocks. I love the forms, and I love the sparring. I enjoy everything else that we have going at the school, but I love TKD. The one thing that is cool is the joint flow for Black belt. So many joint locks and everything, about 30-40 moves in the form. Very Nice! Everything else is just so cool and enjoyable. The art fits...I have long legs(5'11 1/2") and being that TKD is 70% feet, it's in my area and it fits my style. I'd elaborate more, but I don't have time atm.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been in Tae Kwon Do for about 20 years and still barely feel like I know anything. Physically, Tae Kwon Do just fits me. I love the kicking techniques, and the whole style just seems natural for me. In 20 years, I have never seriously injured myself. In fact, I'm in better shape now than I was 10 years ago.
Socially, mentally, and spiritually, traditional Tae Kwon Do is just a beautiful art. I love the white uniform, the manners, and the way it strives to make you into a better person without an ugly mind.

F

Fortis

I seem to be on the same page as everyone else. I'm taller than average and very slender. I enjoy staying flexible and TKD feels like a more interesting form of dance to me. On top of all that, it always seems to center me and give me a chance to reflect while I'm working out.

D

DragonFooter

I remember the first time i step into the dojang at 8 years old a black belt test was in commence. A red belt girl was breaking a one inch plank with jumping high rising kick. From then on i was instantly hooked.
No other unarmed martial art looked as artistic as taekwon-do for me. i watched karate movements and shook my head. As for effectiveness the kicks are powerful aren't they? Nevertheless my master did not get students for doing demonstrations but for his incredible service in the neighbourhood security in which he knocked out 7 armed robbers in a house! .
Yes i love Taekwon-do but i hate the taekwondo sport !

S

ShaolinWolf

Yeah, I love using my flexibility and heighth to it's max. That's one of the biggest reasons TKD is my style.

C

Cobra

I first started TDK cause it was the most economical and closest to my place. Not so much of the style.

Now, I love the art. I love that there is som many kicks to chose from. And I feel more badass than Bruce Lee when doing the kicks. Unlike karate, you can kick to the head, very badass! Not only that, your legs are three times stronger and twice as long as your arms, so why do a strike with your arm when you can use a beautiful TDK kick. Great art, Great art.

S

ShaolinWolf

Cobra said:
I first started TDK cause it was the most economical and closest to my place. Not so much of the style.

That I have to agree on. Not so much style. LOL. I guess since I've never tried any other style than TKD and Judo, I don't have much to say about style...heh

:asian:

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I would say and totally agree with all that is being said here to an extent! I did love and stand by the art until about a couple of weeks ago when I began to doubt it. Tae Kwon Do is a spectacular Martial Art in both spiritual and body wise. However TKD lacks on its self defence, for at close quators it is almost useless, and with somebody throwing a punch in a pub, your not going to have room to kick, Tae Kwon Do doesn't focus on close quators very much. I'm starting Kung Fu now and hopefully this will be the way in which I learn to fight in CQ effectively.
Also Tae Kwon Do patterns (as I do respect with alot of other Martial Arts) can undermine your ability to fight (According to Bruce Lee who hated the idea). I will quote from one of Bruce Lee's books right here:

DEFENCE AGAINST AN UNARMED ASSAILANT CHAPTER 11
"Bruce Lee demonstrates how to handle the several different forms of assault in this chapter. For years he kept saying that you are wasting a lot of energy and even making yourself less effective by studing 'set patterns' (kata). To him, 'fighting is simple and total'. etc....

I'm not saying Tae Kwon Do is totally useless, but I had been praticing it for 2 years and my brother went away to University, did one grading of ju'jitsu and when he came home he had (I am sorry to say) a much better fighting style and self defence style than me. I could get him at long range but within medium or short ju'jitsu was better.

Regards
Nick

cinciman

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm originally from a small town in Kentucky where there were no formal martial arts schools. I remembered watching the movie "Perfect Weapon" with Jeff Speakman and was SO EAGER to take up Kenpo Karate, but, sadly, no schools were even remotely close. There were no martial arts schools in my hometown until around 1992. My mom and I went to Krogers to grab some groceries and got handed a flyer listing TKD lessons to be taught at the National Guard Armory the following week. Without hesitation, I signed up and began training the following week when the classes first began. I excelled rather nicely becoming an assistant instructor which allowed me to train with the black belts one night a week, but that required a 45 minute drive of which a fellow assistant instructor drove me too(I didn't have my license yet).:) Eventually, I competed in two tournaments getting 2-1st place trophies in sparring, 1-1st place trophie in forms and another 2nd place trophie in forms.

At around purple belt, I started sensing something I didn't like. I was gonna test for my purple belt and wanted to hold off because I really wanted to get the Kata down PERFECT since I'm very much a PERFECTIONIST. They were pressuring me to take the test and said it would all come to me, or something like that. I didn't like this and thought they were pressuring me just to get the money.:( I also didn't like the fact that I noticed the style wasn't exactly the best for self-defense, as stated in the post above mine. I had no interest in really competing. I wanted a strictly self-defense martial art like Kenpo. I ended up quitting the TKD lessons there at the armory. I knew I wouldn't be in my hometown forever and would have another opportunity at another Martial Art. I guess others felt the same way and quit also. The only thing I regretted was becoming a QUITTER. I was one of the top students in the class and I'm sure that didn't look good, but I explained my reasons. Looking back I realized how Commercial this place was and was in it strictly for the money, or, at least, this is what I felt. I guess I had a bad experience with TKD, in a sense.

I just don't think TKD is an effective self-defense MA. When I see TKD, I think of competition. Those flashy kicks are awesome to see, but not in a real fight. When I see MA's like Kenpo, I think about the ultimate self-defense. Right now I'm really into a JKD concepts school that teaches Jun Fan, Kali, Machado BJJ, Muay Thai, and Kenpo. And, I'm really starting to like MMA UFC/Pride stuff because of the rawness to it. Those guys can fight!:D I want to fight also, not look good doing forms/kata's. I don't mean to affend anyone. TKD just isn't for me. I do think TKD has it's time and place. I really think if I was forced to, I'd take up Hapkido. I'd think, since it's a Korean art, it would have the same kicks as TKD, but with a lot more self-defense core to it. I don't know a lot about it though. But, if TKD is your thing then that's cool. I wish anyone the best of luck in it.;)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had started TKD as a teen and I guess that says it all. In my lifetime I have done extensive running (races), high impact aerobic dancing, miscellaneous exercise classes, alot of different gym memberships but nothing has given me so much as Taekwondo. While it is not strong in self defense, I'm pretty sure I can do some major damage in a defense situation. Do I need more? Sure, it would be fun to learn more technique but already our master incorporates other discipline's technique. But that is not the end all.

Taekwondo has given me fitness, upper body strength - 100 regular pushups from 15 split when I started. The list would go on. I have balance, agility, speed, flexibility. I've just realized my dream of being able to do a sidekick to head level in form well. I really LOVE the jumping spinning kicks. Nothing can make you feel so powerful - its exhilarating!

And then, there is the mental aspect. It has reinforced and made me analyze more about respect, integrity, discipline, humility and definitely perseverance and indomitable spirit. Taekwondo leads to self discovery and
improved values. I'm alot stronger now than when I was when I joined.

And not least, I have acquired a new "family" of friends who I have come to know well in eight years of classes. We are all taking the "journey" together and sharing the road. Its not like going to a kickboxing class and leaving never to see the same people again the next time.

I figure if you love it, whether its Taekwondo, Kenpo, Hapkido whatever and its making you a better person just do it. To each his own. We are all different people, thank God!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Well I would say and totally agree with all that is being said here to an extent! I did love and stand by the art until about a couple of weeks ago when I began to doubt it. Tae Kwon Do is a spectacular Martial Art in both spiritual and body wise. However TKD lacks on its self defence, for at close quators it is almost useless, and with somebody throwing a punch in a pub, your not going to have room to kick, Tae Kwon Do doesn't focus on close quators very much. I'm starting Kung Fu now and hopefully this will be the way in which I learn to fight in CQ effectively.
Also Tae Kwon Do patterns (as I do respect with alot of other Martial Arts) can undermine your ability to fight (According to Bruce Lee who hated the idea). I will quote from one of Bruce Lee's books right here:

"Bruce Lee demonstrates how to handle the several different forms of assault in this chapter. For years he kept saying that you are wasting a lot of energy and even making yourself less effective by studing 'set patterns' (kata). To him, 'fighting is simple and total'. etc....

I'm not saying Tae Kwon Do is totally useless, but I had been praticing it for 2 years and my brother went away to University, did one grading of ju'jitsu and when he came home he had (I am sorry to say) a much better fighting style and self defence style than me. I could get him at long range but within medium or short ju'jitsu was better.

Regards
Nick
Corporal Hicks,

No offense, but just because Bruce Lee said it doesn't make it true. I remember when I was 15, the Ninja movies were all the rage, and I wanted to be a Ninja. This was after I began training. I learned eventually that to use the ninjas or Bruce Lee or anyone else as your guide to the effectiveness of a style is nonsensical. Bruce Lee had absolutely no impact on my training-still doesn't. To me, he was a movie actor. It's nice you can quote Lee's book, but don't use him to judge whether TKD or any art is effective. TKD stands on its own regardless of Lee's philosophies.
And I do believe TKD is effective in close. Our forms are full of examples of close combat defense. We don't all practice mainly for sport. Don't forget, Tae Kwon Do started out as a military/police martial art

C

Cobra

Corporal Hicks said:

Regards
Nick
Grappling though is the superior way of fighting. But as far as kickboxing or any striking art goes, Tae Kwon Do is one of the best. And like many people said anyways, Tae Kwon Do is a sport, but it doesn't mean it won't help you on the street. If you are good at Tae Kwon Do, there is a 90% chance you can defend yourself on the street unless you are up against a really good grappler or someone who really knows how to fight, which of coarse isn't true, know person trully knows how to fight unless they have done martial arts.

I havn't watched much martial arts movies, infact I've never watch a single Bruce Lee movie in my life. But also remeber one of the reasons why he is considered the "best" martial artist of all time is because holywood made him that way. Don't get me wrong, Bruce Lee was a very effective martial artist, doesn't mean he is the ultimate martial arts guru who knows everything.

I am sure Royce Gracie would kick his *** anyday, well maybe.

D

DragonFooter

Taekwon-do useless in close quarters?...i don't think so .Taekwondo has so many hand techniques in it's forms and it's hosinsul not to mention various joints lock techs. The fact that my dad witnessed my master took 5 armed robbers down in a house cannot be neglected. Well yeah he never did any of those spinning , flying kicks(obviously in a house) but he did and only did taekwon-do self defense tech.In fact, he only did taekwon-do(hell, he's a 1st generation master in Malaysia).
Believe me taekwon-do is as effective as other arts in close quarters but the traditional training programme just doesn't give enough emphasis on hosinsul until very late..like 4th or 5th dan.
IMO taekwon-do is weak in close quarters especially during the colored belts due to emphasis on kicking techs. It is only during red belt or red black tip the we received somewhat realistic self defense training which in my experience the first close quarters training so far.
Like my master said " Your REAL taekwon-do training only begins at black belt!"
Stuck to it ever since...
TaeKwon!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
Corporal Hicks,

No offense, but just because Bruce Lee said it doesn't make it true. I remember when I was 15, the Ninja movies were all the rage, and I wanted to be a Ninja. This was after I began training. I learned eventually that to use the ninjas or Bruce Lee or anyone else as your guide to the effectiveness of a style is nonsensical. Bruce Lee had absolutely no impact on my training-still doesn't. To me, he was a movie actor. It's nice you can quote Lee's book, but don't use him to judge whether TKD or any art is effective. TKD stands on its own regardless of Lee's philosophies.
And I do believe TKD is effective in close. Our forms are full of examples of close combat defense. We don't all practice mainly for sport. Don't forget, Tae Kwon Do started out as a military/police martial art

Yeah I guess, your right I shouldn't judge just one man who happens to have a good name, but look at Tae Kwon Do as an art, in CQ it doesn't work, the leg I know is three times more powerful than a punch but kicks usually require space and I'm saying that when an near amateur in Tae Kwon Do and a near amateur in Kenpo or Ju-jitsu are faced with a street fight (taking in the circumstances) Tae Kwon do in close quators is by far the weakess. As for it being a police/military martial art that was a long time ago, when you needed to kick cavery (sorry cant spell it, I mean horse back), but the Police and Military forces espicially SAS (which are the best) will use Ju-jitsu.
I'm not saying TKD is useless in self defence, my instructor was a bouncer and he's survived many a time in a fight using tkd, i'm just saying that I think its the least effective in close quators when dealing in self defence terms.
Regards
Nick

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Uh, there are punches, elbows, knees etc in properly taught TKD. These are useless in CQ?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I'll take back some of what I said I did a grading today and yes I can see in a way how TKD can be effective, but thats only sparring! And TKD doesn't focus enough of elbows, knees and punches, BUT that maybe because its a kicking art!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your perspective might improve if you get around to realizing that what you see in one school doesn't automatically equate to TKD the world over.

Latest Discussions